Saudi airstrikes on Yemen claim 11 more lives
Iran Press TV
Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:53PM
At least 11 people have been killed in a fresh wave of Saudi airstrikes against the northern part of Yemen, as Riyadh's relentless bombardment of residential areas keeps taking toll on civilians across the impoverished Arab country.
Yemen's al-Masirah TV said Thursday that six members of a family were killed in one of the strikes that targeted the Jiyah neighborhood of the city of Mohabashah, the northern province of Hajjah.
Saudi warplanes also targeted a residential building in the Sharas district of the same province, killing four civilians.
Yemen's official Saba Net agency said another Yemeni citizen was killed after Saudi jets pounded a ceramics production house in the capital, Sana'a.
Similar airstrikes hit the al-Hasbah neighborhood of the capital, with no immediate details available on the potential casualties.
March of aggression against an impoverished nation
On March 26, Saudi Arabia launched its fatal military aggression against Yemen – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to the fugitive former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Riyadh.
According to a report released on September 19 by Yemen's Civil Coalition, over 6,000 Yemenis have so far lost their lives in the Saudi airstrikes, and a total of nearly 14,000 people have been injured.
In retaliation against the attacks, fighters of the Ansarullah movement and the allied army units on Thursday continued to target military positions in southern Saudi territories, with reports saying that rockets were launched at the al-Khashan district of Jizan Province.
The allied forces also fired rockets at al-Hajiz military base in Dhahran al-Janoub Province. Another report said that a Saudi armored vehicle was destroyed after Yemenis attacked a military position west of the city of al-Raboah in the same province.
It is not only the Saudi airstrikes that have left Yemen reeling. On Thursday, twin bomb attacks by the Takfiri Daesh militant group killed at least 29 people in a mosque during Eid al-Adha prayers in Sana'a.
Yemen's al-Masirah TV network said two terrorists blew themselves up at the al-Balili Mosque in al-Safia neighborhood. The assailants managed to enter the mosque wearing women's clothes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|