27 September 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Destroy ISIL Targets Near Hit, Kubaysah, Iraq AFPS 27 Sep 2015 -- Yesterday, coalition airstrikes destroyed multiple Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant targets near Hit and Kubaysah, Iraq, in coordination with and in support of the government of Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials said today.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Sep 2015 -- Yesterday, U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Daesh Takfiris attack police checkpoints in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Members of the Takfiri militant group, Daesh, have launched coordinat
Defense Policy / Programs
- US spent $2.7b on failed defense system: Report Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- The Pentagon had spent $2.7 billion developing a system of giant radar-equipped blimps which was supposed to provide an early warning in case of an attack against the US.
- Saudi airstrike kills 25 civilians in Yemen: Residents Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- A Saudi airstrike in the Yemeni village of Bani Zela in the northwestern province of Hjjah kills at least 25 civilians, mostly women and children, residents and medics say.
- Saudi army confirms general killed near Yemen border Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Saudi Arabia's army has confirmed that an army commander has been killed in the southern part of the country near the border with Yemen.
- Saudi warplanes kill seven Yemenis, including four children Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- At least seven people have been killed in a new wave of Saudi airborne aggression against war-torn Yemen, as Riyadh's unabated bombardment of residential areas keeps taking lives of civilians throughout the impoverished country.
- France Launches Airstrikes Against IS Targets in Syria VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- France says it has launched its first air strikes against Islamic State militants in Syria, on targets it identified after two weeks of surveillance flights.
- France claims has conducted first strikes against 'Daesh' in Syria Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- France claims that it has carried out its first airstrikes against purported positions of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria.
- France Announces First Strikes Against Islamic State Group In Syria RFE/RL 27 Sep 2015 -- France says it has launched air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) group in Syria.
- France Ready to Discuss Syrian Conflict Settlement With US, Russia, Iran Sputnik 27 Sep 2015 -- Francois Hollande said that France is open for discussion of the Syrian conflict resolution with the conflicting sides, as well as with the United States, Russia and Iran.
- Syria's Assad should remain in office: President Rouhani Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says there is widespread agreement among countries that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad should remain in office.
- At least three Israeli airstrikes hit Syrian army on Golan Heights Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Israel has launched at least three airstrikes against positions of the Syrian army on the Golan Heights.
- Iran can help facilitate Syria solution: France Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande has said Iran can be a 'facilitator' in a political solution to ongoing crisis in Syria, a French diplomat says.
- Cameron says Assad can stay for short term Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron says the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad could stay on as part of a transitional government but should not be part of Syria's future in the long run.
- Putin slams 'illegal' US support for militants in Syria Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has denounced US support for militants in Syria as illegal and ineffective.
- Some 30,000 foreign militants joined terrorists in Syria, Iraq: Report Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Some 30,000 militants from over 100 countries, including more than 250 Americans, have traveled to Syria and Iraq since 2011 to join the ranks of Takfiri terrorist groups operating in the two countries, a report says.
- Red Cross in contact with two sides of Syrian truce Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) says the organization is in contact with the two sides involved in a newly agreed-upon six-month ceasefire in Syria as the "parties" are in the process of implementing it.
- Iran Ready To Discuss 'Plan Of Action' On Post-War Syria RFE/RL 27 Sep 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani says he is prepared to discuss a 'plan of action' for Syria's post-war future once the Islamic State (IS) group is defeated.
- US Seeks Way Forward with Russia in Syria VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- Tensions over the conflict in Syria are expected to be high on the agenda Monday when U.S. President Barack Obama and Russian leader Vladimir Putin hold their first face-to-face talks in about a year.
- Iran, Iraq, Syria and Russia join hands in campaign against Daesh IRNA 27 Sep 2015 -- Spokesman of Iraqi government said on Sunday that the government has increased level of cooperation with Iran, Syria, and Russia in regional campaign against the Daesh terrorist group.
- Iraq, Russia, Iran, Syria forming joint center to fight Daesh Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Iraq says it is cooperating with Iran, Russia, and Syria to form an information center to fight against the Daesh terrorist group, which has been wreaking havoc on the Arab country since 2014.
- Iraq Cooperating With Russia, Iran, Syria On Security Issues RFE/RL 27 Sep 2015 -- Iraq has announced an agreement on 'security and intelligence cooperation' with Russia, Iran, and Syria to counter the threat from the Islamic State (IS) militant group.
- Russia, Syria, Iran, Iraq to Share Intelligence on Islamic State VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- Iraq says it will share military intelligence and security information with Syria, Iran and Russia to fight Islamic State.
- Turkish commander killed in PKK clashes Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- A Turkish major has been killed after clashes broke out with a group of outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants in the country's eastern Tunceli Province.
- Donetsk Envoy Says Local Elections 'Reasoned', Comply With Minsk Agreements Sputnik 27 Sep 2015 -- Holding local elections in the eastern Ukrainian self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) is well-reasoned, being at the same time the implementation of the Minsk agreements on Ukrainian reconciliation, the DPR negotiator at the Minsk peace talks said Sunday.
- Normandy Group Should Intervene in Peace Talks Between Kiev, Militia Sputnik 27 Sep 2015 -- According to the Donetsk negotiator at the Contact group talks, the People's Republic and Kiev are unable to find a consensus in particular issues outside of the Normandy group format.
- Dozens killed in CAR as PM announces curfew Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Violent ethnic clashes in the capital of the Central African Republic (CAR), Bangui, have left more than 36 people dead and around 80 others injured.
- Central African Republic: UN and relief agencies condemn renewed violence against civilians UN News 27 Sep 2015 -- The interim United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator, Marc Vandenberghe and the entire humanitarian community in the Central African Republic (CAR) today condemned renewed violence against civilians in the capital, Bangui, and called on all parties to respect international law, to protect civilians and ensure that they can relocate from insecure areas.
- Violent Protests Erupt in CAR Capital After Clashes VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- Armed Christian militia members roamed the streets and protesters erected barricades on Sunday in the capital of Central African Republic, where deadly inter-religious clashes erupted a day earlier, witnesses said.
- Obama to Lead UN Peacekeeping, Counterterrorism Summits VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama arrives at the United Nations on Sunday for several days of meetings, speeches and summits.
- US, World Powers to Focus on Refugee Crisis at UNGA VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- The plight of refugees who are pouring into Europe is among the focal points for world leaders convening in New York for the United Nations General Assembly.
- Spain's Catalan Separatists Claim Victory in Local Parliamentary Polls VOA 27 Sep 2015 -- Separatists in northeastern Spain's Catalonia region claimed victory Sunday in local parliamentary polls that could push the region toward a faceoff with the central government over independence.
- Pro-independence parties win Catalonia elections Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Pro-independence parties in the Spanish region of Catalonia have claimed victory in regional parliamentary elections.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Meeting With Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov US Dept. of State 27 Sep 2015
- Karma Police spying on the whole internet: Snowden Press TV 27 Sep 2015 -- Documents recently leaked by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden have revealed that Britain's Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) mapped "every visible user on the internet," in an operation code-named Karma Police.
- Iran Leader Demands Saudi Arabia Apology For Hajj Stampede RFE/RL 27 Sep 2015 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has said Saudi Arabia should apologize for a deadly stampede at the annual hajj pilgrimage.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|