20 September 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US updating contingency plans for possible war with Russia: US officials Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- The United States is updating its contingency plans for a potential war with Russia for the first time since the collapse of the Soviet Union, according to US officials.
- Tons of weapons-grade plutonium remain undecided for in US Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- A recent letter by former US Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson to Democrats in the Senate has sparked national debates over tons of surplus weapons-grade plutonium that the country has stockpiled over the years.
- Lock and Load: NATO Deploys Fully Armed Eurofighters to Russian Borders Sputnik 20 Sep 2015 -- NATO continues its military buildup in close vicinity to Russia: for the first time since the inception of the Ukrainian crisis, German Eurofighters are set to patrol the Baltic Airspace with full ammunition.
- Saudi Apache helicopter shot down in central Yemen Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- Yemeni armed forces have brought downed a Saudi Apache helicopter near the city of Ma'rib in central Yemen as Riyadh continues with its deadly aggression against its southern neighbor, reports say.
- Six months of strikes kill over 6,000 in Yemen, NGO says Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has killed in excess of 6,000 Yemenis as Riyadh's military aggression against the impoverished Arab country enters its seventh month, says Yemen's Civil Coalition.
- Saudi airstrikes on Yemen claim 50 lives in Sa'ada province Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- At least 50 people have lost their lives in the latest Saudi airstrikes on the northwestern Yemeni province of Sa'ada, bringing to over 100 the number of Yemenis killed in Saudi raids against its southern neighbor in the past 24 hours.
- Twenty Daesh senior leaders killed during aerial attack in Iraq Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- Twenty senior leaders of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed in an aerial bombardment carried out by Iraq's air force in the western province of Anbar.
- Deploring latest military escalation, UN mission in Libya urges immediate ceasefire UN News 20 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Sunday strongly condemned the military escalation in Benghazi and called for an immediate ceasefire, stressing the need to give the ongoing political dialogue a chance to bring the country's conflict to an end.
- Amano visits Parchin site IRNA 20 Sep 2015 -- Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano paid a 'protocol visit' to Parchin military site near Tehran on Sunday, according to spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi.
- Rouhani: Iran is to voluntarily implement Additional Protocol to NPT IRNA 20 Sep 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is to voluntarily implement additional protocol to the NPT and expects IAEA to verify accurate implementation of the additional protocol under JCPOA.
- IAEA chief arrives in Iran to discuss nuclear roadmap IRNA 20 Sep 2015 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano arrived in Tehran on Sunday morning to hold talks with senior Iranian officials on the implementation of a roadmap for Iran's civilian nuclear program.
- IAEA Chief Visits Disputed Iranian Military Site RFE/RL 20 Sep 2015 -- The head of the UN nuclear agency has visited a disputed Iranian military site as part of the agency's investigation into whether Iran carried out work related to developing a nuclear weapon.
- China successfully launches new carrier rocket Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- China has successfully launched a newly-developed carrier rocket, capable of taking satellites into the orbit, as part of the country's space program.
- China Launches Next Generation Long March Rocket Sputnik 20 Sep 2015 -- The Long March 6, China's latest version of the rocket it uses to carry payloads into space, was launched at 7:01 am Sunday from Shanxi Province in northern China, and took 20 micro-satellites into orbit for tests.
- Tsipras Announces Victory in Elections, Confirms Coalition with ANEL Sputnik 20 Sep 2015 -- Alexis Tsipras has reportedly announced victory in elections to people in Athens, and confirmed coalition with ANEL on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|