17 September 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 17 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 17 Sep 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- U.S. Open to 'Tactical, Practical' Talks With Russia On Fighting IS RFE/RL 17 Sep 2015 -- The United States says it is open to 'tactical, practical' discussions with Russia about cooperating on military action against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, but continues to insist that Russia should not try to prop up the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- 'War-weary Afghan population clamouring for peace and they deserve it' – UN envoy UN News 17 Sep 2015 -- The top United Nations official in Afghanistan told members of the Security Council today that the country's path to stability and self-reliance cannot be taken for granted, and that support from the international community continues to be crucial.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 17 Sep 2015 -- The Department of Defense announced today the repatriation of Younis Abdurrahman Chekkouri from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of Morocco.
- F-15s complete Hungarian deployment AFNS 17 Sep 2015 -- Four F-15 Eagle fighter aircraft and support personnel, assigned to the 123rd Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, completed a forward deployment to Kecskemet, Hungary, from Campia Turzii, Romania, Sept. 15.
- AFGSC completes first New START bomber conversion AFNS 17 Sep 2015 -- Air Force Global Strike Command has begun the conversion of a portion of the B-52H bomber fleet from a nuclear to a conventional only capability aircraft under the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START).
- USS Kauffman to be decommissioned NNS 17 Sep 2015 -- After nearly 28 years of Naval service, friends, family members, former and present crewmembers will gather at Naval Station Norfolk to decommission USS Kauffman (FFG 59), Norfolk's last Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate, Sept. 18.
- Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 15 Arrives in Cartagena, Colombia NNS 17 Sep 2015 -- The joint high-speed vessel USNS Spearhead (JHSV 1), operated by the Military Sealift Command, arrived in Cartagena, Colombia for the Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15) mission, Sept. 16.
- NAVSSES Reaches Milestone for DDG 51 Machinery Control System Process NNS 17 Sep 2015 -- Naval Ship Systems Engineering Station successfully resolved their 1,000th System/Software Problem/Improvement Report (SPIR) using an internally developed process, July 1.
- September 17, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 17 Sep 2015
- Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 9/17/2015 The White House 17 Sep 2015
- 17 September 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 17 Sep 2015
- Russia May Be Eyeing Payoff for Military Buildup in Syria VOA 17 Sep 2015 -- Russia's unrelenting military buildup in Syria is worrying U.S. defense and intelligence officials who say Russia's intentions are anything but clear and who remain suspicious of repeated calls by Moscow for direct military-to-military talks.
- Russian FM: Russia Will Not Join US-Led Coalition Against IS in Syria VOA 17 Sep 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Thursday that his country could not join the U.S.-led coalition battling Islamic State in Syria because it was illegal and was built on 'false foundations.'
- With eye on security transition, Security Council extends UN mission in Liberia for another year UN News 17 Sep 2015 -- The Security Council today extended the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) until 30 September 2016, and authorized a reduction in the number of its personnel, as preparations continue for the security transition to the country's authorities next year.
- UN officials outraged at accounts of Sri Lanka war crimes, stress need for accountability UN News 17 Sep 2015 -- Senior United Nations officials today expressed outrage at the very serious accounts of war crimes and crimes against humanity that were allegedly committed between 2002 and 2011 by all parties to the conflict in Sri Lanka, including Government security forces, affiliated paramilitary groups and the rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- Iran Nuclear Deal Withstands Final Vote in Congress VOA 17 Sep 2015 -- The U.S. Congress has failed to kill the Iran nuclear deal, and in another month the accord will begin to go into effect, as Iran makes the changes required so that economic sanctions can be lifted.
- AU Demands Burkina Faso Military Hand Over Power VOA 17 Sep 2015 -- The deputy chairman of the African Union Commission on Thursday condemned the overthrow of the administration in Burkina Faso and said the AU had demanded that military leaders immediately return power to the transitional government.
- Condemning coup, UN officials call for immediate release of Burkina Faso's leaders UN News 17 Sep 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations human rights chief today spoke out against the coup d'état in Burkina Faso and called for the immediate release of the country's transitional leaders.
- Migrants Pour Into Croatia As Hungary Defends Actions At Border RFE/RL 17 Sep 2015 -- Croatian Interior Minister Ranko Ostojic says his country will close its border with Serbia if another 8,000 migrants enter the country from Serbia in a single day.
- UN rights chief 'appalled' at recent treatment of refugees, migrants by Hungarian authorities UN News 17 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations human rights chief said today he is "appalled" at the recent actions displayed by the Hungarian Government in its treatment of refugees and migrants, and urged European institutions to take firm action to respond to the crisis affecting several countries.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, September 17, 2015 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 17 Sep 2015
- Russian Hacking Network Found Spying On U.S., Europe For Years RFE/RL 18 Sep 2015 -- Russia has been cyberspying extensively on the United States and countries throughout Europe and Asia for seven years, Finnish data security firm F-Secure said in a report published September 17.
- Islamic Party Boss Rejects Tajik Officials' Claim He Was Behind General's Deadly Mutiny RFE/RL 17 Sep 2015 -- The exiled leader of a recently banned Islamic political party in Tajikistan has rejected officials' accusations that he ordered a deadly mutiny last week by a serving deputy defense minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|