10 September 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 10 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- UN and partners report 'extremely alarming' food insecurity figures in Afghanistan UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- The number of people in Afghanistan resorting to selling land or turning to friends or family for help because of food insecurity has doubled in the last year, according to a joint report released today by the United Nations and partner agencies.
Defense Policy / Programs
- CSAF sees cyber, ISR as future major command AFNS 10 Sep 2015 -- Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III and his wife, Betty, visited the 24th and 25th Air Forces Aug. 25-27 to gain a firsthand look at the mission synergy of cyber, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.
- AEODRS Increment One Enters Integration Phase NNS 10 Sep 2015 -- Naval Sea Systems Command announced the Advanced Explosive Ordnance Disposal Robotic System (AEODRS) Increment One approval for integration after a contract was awarded Aug. 31.
- Pacific Angel 15-2 underway in Timor-Leste AFNS 10 Sep 2015 -- Members of the U.S. Air Force and Navy, Defence Forces of Timor-Leste (F-FDTL), and New Zealand army began humanitarian assistance operations as part of Pacific Angel 15-2 Sept. 7.
- Farragut Lends a Helping Hand to Stranded Fishermen NNS 10 Sep 2015 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99) and an embarked detachment rendered aid to a distressed fishing vessel in the Red Sea, Sept. 8.
- USS Houston Visits Sasebo during Western Pacific Deployment NNS 10 Sep 2015 -- The Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarine USS Houston (SSN 713) arrived in Sasebo, Japan, for a visit as part of its deployment to the Western Pacific, Sept. 10.
- US Marines Deploy in Support of Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 NNS 10 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Marines assigned to the 8th Engineer Support Battalion, in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, are participating in Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15) as part of the Adaptive Force Package (AFP) from July to October in Honduras and Guatemala.
- US Tests New Cerberus Electronic Attack System on Drones Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- US Navy and Raytheon have developed and tested a new electronic attack system called CERBERUS.
- Groundbreaking Ceremony for Solar Facility Held At SUBASE Kings Bay NNS 10 Sep 2015 -- The Department of the Navy (DON) and Georgia Power Company broke ground on a large-scale solar facility at Naval Submarine Base (SUBASE) Kings Bay, Sep. 10.
- U.S. and Republic of Korea Navies Celebrate Partnership Aboard USNS Henson NNS 10 Sep 2015 -- Rear Adm. Bill Byrne, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea, and senior Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy representatives, visited the oceanographic survey ship USNS Henson (T-AGS 63) to further foster the enduring U.S. and ROK partnership Wednesday, Sept. 9.
- NATO Secretary General praises Slovakia's contributions to shared security NATO 10 Sep 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg arrived in Bratislava on Thursday (10 September 2015) for discussions on new security challenges to the east and the south. In Bratislava, Mr Stoltenberg met with President Andrej Kiska, Prime Minister Robert Fico, State Secretary Igor Slobodník and other high level officials, thanking them for Slovakia's "continued commitment" to the Alliance's shared security.
- To Watch and to Strike: Russia Developing Multirole Heavy Drone Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- Russia is developing a heavy drone that could be used both as reconnaissance and combat aircraft, one of its designers said in an interview Wednesday.
- Russian Ships Fire Missiles in Caspian Sea as Part of Snap Drills Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- About 40 Russian Navy ships fire missiles as part of snap combat readiness drills of the Central Military District.
- US Wary, Not Surprised, by Russia's Syria Efforts VOA 10 Sep 2015 -- Top U.S. intelligence and security officials say Russia's ramped up presence in Syria should come as little surprise though they remain concerned about Moscow's increasingly aggressive posture.
- Russian Arms Supplies to Damascus Do Not Violate Int'l Law Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- Russia carries out weapons deliveries to Syria under legal contracts that do not violate the international law, Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
- Lavrov Confirms Russian Military Present in Syria to Deliver Arms to Army Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- Presence of Russian servicemen in Syria is tied to the deliveries of weapons to the Syrian government army, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Thursday.
- Russia Confirms Syria Military Presence, Denies Combat Role VOA 10 Sep 2015 -- The Kremlin said Thursday that Russian military advisers are in Syria to help that country's armed forces maintain equipment sent from Russia, but are not involved in combat.
- PLA to clear mines along China-Vietnam border People's Daily 10 Sep 2015 -- A demining mission along the China-Vietnam border has been approved by the State Council and the Central Military Commission.
- Navy continues support for Iranian ships in int'l waters IRNA 10 Sep 2015 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Thursday that the navy would continue its support for Iranian ships in the international waters.
- Basij Force conducts military drills in Maragheh zone IRNA 10 Sep 2015 -- The military drills of Iran's Basij (Volunteer) Force codenamed 'Towards Beit-ul-Moqaddas' started in Maragheh region in the Northwestern Iran.
- Taiwan military drills simulate confrontation with China Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- Taiwan has launched a live-fire anti-landing drill to simulate a scenario of confrontation with China.
- Global nuclear-test ban urgently needed for safer, more secure world - UN officials UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- Top United Nations officials today highlighted the existential threat posed by nuclear testing, and called for all States that have not yet done so to sign and ratify the international treaty that seeks to achieve a ban on such testing.
- September 10, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 Sep 2015
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 9/10/15 The White House 10 Sep 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for September 10, 2015
- Military chopper gets go-ahead for export People's Daily 10 Sep 2015 -- For nations hoping to buy China's advanced weapons on display in the Sept 3 V-Day parade, here's some good news-China is ready to export one of its top military helicopters.
- China, Russia to co-develop heavy-lift helicopter in 2016 People's Daily 10 Sep 2015 -- China and Russia are close to finalizing an agreement to jointly develop a heavy-lift helicopter next year, according to senior Chinese helicopter designers.
- 10 September 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Sep 2015
- Saudi airstrikes kill at least 26 people in Yemen Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- At least 26 Yemeni people have been killed and scores of others sustained injuries in Saudi Arabia's latest airstrikes, as Riyadh's unabated aggression against the impoverished and war-torn country continues.
- Mosquitoes winning Yemen's war IRIN 10 Sep 2015 -- There has been plenty of analysis about the war in Yemen. One minute the pro-Iranian Houthi rebels have the upper hand, the next it is the Saudi Arabian-led coalition. Perhaps the ousted president will return, or maybe al-Qaeda will fill the vacuum. Amid the endless opinion and speculation, one thing is certain: the only real winners so far are the mosquitoes.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Questions Islamic State But Suggests Cooperation RFE/RL 10 Sep 2015 -- Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri dismissed the Islamic State as illegitimate, but suggested Muslims should join the militant group in fighting Western forces in Iraq and Syria.
- Syria: UN chief promises 'speedy' establishment of chemical weapons accountability probe UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the United Nations Security Council's authorization to set up an investigative mechanism to identify who is responsible for the use of chemical weapons in Syria, promising its "speedy establishment" and urging full cooperation by all parties in Syria.
- Kremlin: Only Syrians Should Decide on the Future of Assad Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- Only the Syrian people can decide on the future of the country's President Bashar Assad, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Thursday denying the existence of any plan to force Assad to resign.
- Israel Conducts Airstrikes at Syrian Artillery Near Damascus - Source Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- Israel attacked a position of the Syrian Army that helped repel militants' offensive, according to a military source. After that, the militants launched another attack.
- Arab Press Blasts Gulf Rulers on Syrian Refugee Crisis VOA 10 Sep 2015 -- Gulf rulers are coming under unusually sharp criticism from the region's media for not doing more to help with the Middle East refugee crisis and for not formally admitting Syrians fleeing their war-shattered country.
- US to Accept 10,000 Syrian Refugees VOA 10 Sep 2015 -- The United States said Thursday it will accept at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the coming year and increase its humanitarian assistance for those fleeing the violence in Syria.
- Iraq condemns Turkey ground incursion as 'clear violation' Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- Iraq has condemned Turkey for dispatching special forces into its soil in reported pursuit of Kurdish militants, calling it a 'clear violation' of its territory.
- Daesh Takfiris execute 22 fellows over 'spying' Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- Members of the Takfiri Daesh militant group have reportedly executed nearly two dozen of their own terrorists in Iraq's conflict-stricken western province of Anbar over 'espionage.'
- Iraqi forces liberate areas in Iraq's Anbar from Daesh Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- Iraqi security forces have liberated southern areas of the cities of Fallujah and Ramadi in the western Anbar province from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists, officials say.
- NATO Expresses Concern After Report Of New Russian Military Base Near Ukraine RFE/RL 10 Sep 2015 -- NATO has expressed concern after a news report that Russia is building a large military base near its border with Ukraine.
- India, Pakistan hold talks on deadly border clashes Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- India and neighboring Pakistan have held talks aimed at settling months of deadly border clashes and repeated ceasefire violations.
- Will a Rohingya refugee go full circle after fleeing Myanmar? IRIN 10 Sep 2015 -- When word spread through this quiet suburban block in Cambodia's capital that one of four refugees sent to the country under a controversial resettlement deal with Australia had asked to be repatriated, residents were unsurprised.
- Darfur: UN humanitarian officials deplore fatal attack on health workers UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- United Nations humanitarian officials in Sudan have strongly condemned an attack carried out against health workers who were returning from a routine mission in West Darfur.
- Liberia making progress on numerous fronts, UN peacekeeping chief tells Security Council UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- Liberia is working hard to build institutions, pass legislation and put in place mechanisms that will enable it to maintain stability without the presence of a peacekeeping force, the head of United Nations peacekeeping told the Security Council today.
- Security Council extends UN mission in Libya, urges parties to finalize political accord UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) until 15 March 2016, while underscoring that there can be no military solution to the ongoing political crisis.
- U.S. Senate Democrats Block Vote On Iran Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 10 Sep 2015 -- A move in the U.S. Senate to hold a vote of disapproval on the international nuclear deal with Iran has been defeated on a first vote.
- Effort to Reject Iran Deal Fails in US Senate VOA 10 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Senate Democrats have blocked a vote of disapproval on the nuclear accord with Iran, delivering President Barack Obama a victory on his top foreign policy initiative.
- U.S. House GOP Leaders Change Gameplan On Iran Deal RFE/RL 10 Sep 2015 -- U.S. House Republican leaders changed their plans for voting on the Iran nuclear agreement September 9 under intense pressure from conservative lawmakers who adamantly oppose the deal.
- UN calls for full, swift implementation of European proposals for refugee crisis UN News 10 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations refugee agency today welcomed the European Commission's proposals unveiled last Wednesday to address the current refugee crisis in Europe, adding that given the urgency of the situation, these proposals need to be implemented fully and swiftly.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, September 10, 2015 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 10 Sep 2015
- Russian-American Pleads Guilty To Microelectronics Smuggling Charges RFE/RL 10 Sep 2015 -- A Russian-American businessman has pleaded guilty to charges of smuggling sophisticated microelectronics from the United States to Moscow for use by Russian military and intelligence agencies.
- Abu Sayyaf declared as terrorist organization in Philippines Press TV 10 Sep 2015 -- A Philippine court has declared the Abu Sayyaf group as a terrorist entity, further intensifying an ongoing government crackdown on the militant organization operating mostly in the south and west of the country.
- Pressure Mounts on Turkey Pro-Kurdish Party VOA 10 Sep 2015 -- In Turkey, pressure is building on the pro-Kurdish People's Democratic Party, the HDP. Authorities are asking for the immunity of party leader Selahattin Demirtas to be lifted as he faces charges ranging from aiding terrorism to insulting the president.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|