09 September 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 09 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Destroy ISIL Operating Base, Staging Area in Iraq AFPS 09 Sep 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Top US General: Islamic State Fight 'Stalemated' VOA 09 Sep 2015 -- The fight against the Islamic State terror group has become 'tactically stalemated,' according to the United States' top general.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Airmen share air mobility knowledge with African partner nations AFNS 09 Sep 2015 -- About 40 African military personnel visited Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst to participate in the African Partnership Flight hosted by the 621st Contingency Response Wing Aug. 30-Sept. 4.
- Operation Llama Fury: Joint base training aims to standardize AFSC AFNS 09 Sep 2015 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Airmen from three nearby bases descended upon Seymour Johnson Air Force Base for Operation Llama Fury, a weeklong training operation, Aug. 24-28.
- Deputy Defense Secretary Work, Nordic Allies Discuss Region's Security Threats AFPS 09 Sep 2015 -- NATO faces security threats on its southern, eastern and northern flanks, Deputy Defense Secretary Work said yesterday at the Nordic Deputies Meeting at the Norwegian Ministry of Defense in Oslo, Norway.
- Remarks by Deputy Defense Secretary Work at Nordic Deputies Meeting at the Norwegian Ministry of Defense, Oslo, Norway DoD 09 Sep 2015
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's Visit to Norway DoD 09 Sep 2015
- Carrier Strike Group 4 Commander Visits USS Ramage NNS 09 Sep 2015 -- The commander of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 4 visited the guided-missile destroyer USS Ramage (DDG 61) Sept. 6 during a training exercise in preparation for an upcoming deployment.
- Rogers Outlines Cyber Challenges Facing DoD, U.S. AFPS 09 Sep 2015 -- The commander of U.S. Cyber Command described the role of deterrence in the cyber world, the problems of defending against cyber enemies, and "operationalizing" cyber capabilities in the Defense Department during a discussion at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars last night.
- DoD Committed to Maintaining Strong Bonds with Industry AFPS 09 Sep 2015 -- The Defense Department is committed to maintaining the strong bonds between innovators and the department "because going forward, we need the best people, the best technology, and the best innovation to remain the world's finest fighting force," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in St. Louis today.
- NATO and Tunisia ready to strengthen their cooperation on tackling common security challenges NATO 09 Sep 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tunisia Taieb Baccouche met in Brussels on Wednesday (9 September) for talks on regional security and ways to further enhance NATO-Tunisia cooperation. After meeting the Secretary General, the Minister met with Allied Ambassadors, at a session of the North Atlantic Council. With them he exchanged views on Tunisia's partnership with NATO, in the framework of NATO's Mediterranean Dialogue, and on common regional security challenges.
- NATO Secretary General thanks the Czech Republic for being a 'very committed Ally' NATO 09 Sep 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked the Czech Republic for its contributions to the Alliance during his first official visit to Prague on Wednesday (9 September 2015). Speaking at a joint press conference with Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka, Mr. Stoltenberg called the country "a staunch and very committed Ally".
- Russian Defense Ministry Plans to Upgrade Main Battle Tanks Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Russian Defense Ministry is planning to upgrade about 400 T-90 tanks which are in service with the Russian Armed Forces, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Wednesday.
- Russia Unveils Plan to Defend Allies Against Air, Space Threats Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Russia has drawn up a roadmap to defend the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), a bloc of former Soviet countries, against air and space threats, the first deputy commander of Russia's Aerospace Forces said Wednesday.
- Russia Builds Unified Air Defense for CIS Collective Security Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Russia has long been leading efforts to build a joint air defense shield for the CIS, a loose organization of former Soviet republics.
- Russia, China Developing the World's First Drone-Carrying Missile Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- A multiple rocket launcher jointly being developed by Russia and China will feature the world's first ever missile capable of hauling a drone.
- China slashes restrictions on weapons research and production People's Daily 09 Sep 2015 -- Authorities in China on Tuesday released a new catalogue of weapons, slashing restrictions on the types of arms that private firms are required to get licenses to develop.
- Russia military cooperation with Syria no secret: Foreign Ministry Press TV 09 Sep 2015 -- Russia says it has never kept its military cooperation with Syria a secret, saying Moscow has openly sent "military specialists" to the Arab state, which is engaged in heavy battles with foreign-backed Takfiri terrorists.
- UK to further boost Pakistan's counter-explosive capability UK MOD 09 Sep 2015 -- The UK will offer Pakistan a package worth nearly £1m to support essential counter-explosive equipment previously gifted to the country.
- Iran Army plans to unveil new defense achievements ISNA 09 Sep 2015 -- Deputy Commander of Iranian Army Ground Force General Kiumarth Heidari said the force plans to unveil new achievements in next two weeks.
- Political hurdles to Iran S-300 delivery cleared: Russia Press TV 09 Sep 2015 -- A senior Russian official says Tehran and Moscow will sign a contract on the delivery of the S-300 anti-missile system to Iran in the 'near future.'
- Tehran Mulls Russian Arms Purchase for Iranian Ground Troops Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Moscow and Tehran are currently holding consultations on the purchase of Russian arms for Iran's ground troops, the head of the delegation from Russia's arms exporter Rosoboronexport said at the RAE-2015 military exhibition on Wednesday.
- Press Gaggle Aboard Air Force One En Route Michigan The White House 09 Sep 2015
- September 9, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Sep 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for September 11, 2015
- Russia, India in Talks on Making Ammo for Smerch Rocket Launchers Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Russia and India are discussing possible cooperation in the production of ammunition for Russia-made Smerch multiple rocket launchers in India.
- Philippines Woos Arms Manufacturers VOA 09 Sep 2015 -- The Philippines ongoing territorial tensions with China have led it to try to modernize its military, which for years had one of the smallest budgets in Asia. The country is spending more on more advanced ships and planes, but it is also trying to entice arms manufacturers to set up shop locally.
- 9 September 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Sep 2015
- Peace 'a distant dream' without development, UN high-level forum told UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- United Nations officials today shared a common message that building a culture of peace means not just ending conflict but building inclusive societies that are able to develop and thrive in the absence of discrimination.
- Yemen forces fire rockets at Saudi troops in Ma'rib Press TV 09 Sep 2015 -- Yemeni army forces and allied popular committees have, in retaliatory attacks, fired rockets at Saudi forces in central Yemen.
- Syrian army forces kill 13 senior militants near capital Press TV 09 Sep 2015 -- Syrian army forces have killed more than a dozen senior foreign-sponsored militants during a full-scale operation in an area on the outskirts of the capital, Damascus.
- Pentagon Promises to 'Fix' US Program to Train Rebel Forces in Syria Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Following a beleaguered and embarrassing start, and fresh reports that military officials had lost track of US-trained Syrian rebels, the Pentagon on Tuesday said it is looking to fix the $500 million program aimed at training and equipping 'moderate' forces in the fight against the Islamic State.
- Syrian Army Loses Control Over Last Airbase in Idlib Province - Watchdog Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Syria lost control on Wednesday of the last military airbase under government control in the northwestern province of Idlib, the Syrian Observatory For Human Rights (SOHR) reported.
- Moscow Confirms Russian 'Military Experts' Are in Syria VOA 09 Sep 2015 -- Russia has confirmed that members of its military are present in Syria, amid growing concerns in the West that the Russian military is becoming more deeply involved in supporting the embattled government of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Turkey Deploys Ground Forces In Iraq To Pursue Kurds RFE/RL 09 Sep 2015 -- Turkey deployed ground forces across the border into northern Iraq on September 8 for the first time since 2011 to pursue Kurdish militants involved in attacks that killed 31 Turkish police in recent days.
- Nigerian army arrests several Boko Haram suppliers Press TV 09 Sep 2015 -- Nigerian military says it has arrested a number of people in the country's embattled northeastern state of Yobe, who were purportedly transporting fuel and drugs to Boko Haram Takfiri militants.
- Relations on Korean peninsula 'taking a new turn,' says UN rights expert UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- At the end of a five-day visit to the Republic of Korea, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said today that the relationship between the two countries is "taking a new turn."
- UN envoy urges constructive steps for Palestinian unity amid postponement of key gathering UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process urged all Palestinian leaders and factions to use the opportunity provided by the postponement of the meeting of the Palestine National Council to take constructive steps towards achieving unity.
- Iran will never negotiate with US on matters other than nuclear issue: Leader ISNA 09 Sep 2015 -- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution said the Islamic Republic "did not and will not hold talks with US on issues other than nuclear negotiations."
- White House Clinches Votes To Block Bill Rejecting Iran Deal RFE/RL 09 Sep 2015 -- President Barack Obama has secured 42 votes in the U.S. Senate for the nuclear deal with Iran, more than enough to keep Congress from passing a resolution rejecting the pact..
- Republican Opponents Of Iran Deal Aim To Keep U.S. State Sanctions In Place RFE/RL 09 Sep 2015 -- U.S. House Republican leaders changed their plans for voting on the Iran nuclear agreement September 9 under intense pressure from conservative lawmakers who adamantly oppose the deal.
- Clinton Vows To Enforce Iran Nuclear Deal, Stand Up Against Abuses RFE/RL 09 Sep 2015 -- Hillary Clinton says she would enforce the nuclear agreement with Iran if elected president of the United States, and take action should Tehran violate the accord.
- US Targets Iran Proxies VOA 09 Sep 2015 -- The U.S. State Department announced Tuesday that it is adding several top Hamas and Hezbollah operatives to its terrorism list. The timing of the announcement - just days before Congress is likely to vote on the recently struck nuclear deal with Iran - appears to be a signal from the Obama administration that it will intensify efforts to counter Tehran-backed militancy in the Middle East, say analysts.
- Protests in Turkey Stoke Ethnic Tensions VOA 09 Sep 2015 -- Nationalist protests erupted Wednesday across Turkey after Kurdish PKK rebels killed more than 30 members of Turkey's security forces in the days since Sunday. Many pro-Kurdish HDP offices were targeted in the violence. Turkey's political parties called for restraint, but there are fears Turkey is edging toward an ethnic conflict.
- UN health agency warns Ebola outbreak in West Africa has 'a very nasty sting in its tail' UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations health agency's special envoy on Ebola response today said the outbreak in West Africa has a "very nasty sting in its tail," but projected that the goal of zero transmission in the human population remains "very possible within 2015."
- Women must be empowered to actively help counter terrorism and extremism, says UN official UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- Increased attention needs to be given to women so they can be empowered to actively help counter terrorism and violent extremism around the world, a senior United Nations counter-terrorism official told a news conference in New York today.
- Iraqi premier removes 123 officials as part of reform plan Press TV 09 Sep 2015 -- Responding to the public outcry over corruption, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has removed 123 high-ranking officials as part of his "comprehensive plan" to combat corruption in the war-hit country.
- Retired CIA Directors Stand Behind US Torture Program in New Book Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- Former senior CIA officials, including three agency directors, have published a book in which they defend their torture of al-Qaeda prisoners.
- EU Commission Chief Unveils Mandatory Migration Crisis Plan RFE/RL 09 Sep 2015 -- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has unveiled an emergency plan for dealing with Europe's biggest influx of migrants and asylum seekers since World War II.
- Secretary-General discusses refugee, migrant crisis with UK Prime Minister UN News 09 Sep 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today discussed the refugee and migrant crisis with Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom, as he continued to confer with European leaders on what has become the biggest influx of people into the continent in decades.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|