07 September 2015 Military News
- Coalition Continues Anti-ISIL Airstrikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 07 Sep 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- U.S. Denies NATO Air Strike Killed Afghan Police RFE/RL 07 Sep 2015 -- A U.S. military spokesman says neither NATO nor U.S. forces were involved in an air strike that reportedly killed 11 Afghan police and counternarcotics officials in southern Afghanistan.
- Air Raid Kills 11 Afghan Drug Police VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Afghan officials said that an overnight airstrike in a restive southern province has killed at least 11 anti-drug police and wounded four others.
- US-led strike kills 17 policemen in south Afghanistan Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- More than a dozen counter-narcotics police officers were killed when a military aircraft operated by US-led forces in Afghanistan carried out an operation in Helmand.
- Abuses rise along with pro-Afghan government militias IRIN 07 Sep 2015 -- When 30 Kalashnikov-toting men came to Mohammad Miakhil's house demanding he donate a large sum of money and three tonnes of wheat to their Afghan government-aligned militia, he knew it was time to leave.
- Pakistan Carries Out First-ever Drone Strike VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Pakistan’s military announced that a locally developed drone has carried out its first missile strike, killing at least three "high-profile” militants near the Afghan border.
- Pakistan deploys 1st homemade combat drone, kills 3 militants Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- Pakistan has successfully deployed its domestically developed unmanned combat aerial vehicle equipped with a laser-guided missile in the country's northwestern tribal region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Coalition working to restore naval character during Dawn Blitz 2015 USMC News 07 Sep 2015 -- Marines and sailors with 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade and Expeditionary Strike Group 3 are conducting a large-scale amphibious landing as part of Exercise Dawn Blitz 2015.
- Ukraine, US stage live-fire joint war games Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- US troopers have held joint live-fire military exercises with Ukrainian soldiers in western Ukraine.
- U.S., Icelandic Defense Leaders Discuss Shared Security Interests AFPS 07 Sep 2015 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work met with senior Icelandic officials here today and reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the defense of Iceland.
- German Bundeswehr Struggles to Bring Back Past Glory Sputnik 07 Sep 2015 -- Germany’s plans to ramp up military spending will hardly make up for the loss of three-thirds of the country’s defense production and bring back the military might it possessed just three decades ago.
- NATO Spy Plane Roamed Skies Over Siberia Sputnik 07 Sep 2015 -- During the past several days, a US observation plane has been flying over Russian skies, taking photos of military installations and equipment.
- Swiss parliament backs Israeli drone deal worth $256mn Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- Switzerland's parliament has endorsed a plan by the government to purchase unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) from the Israeli regime.
- Japan "being ridiculous" in V-Day parade complaints Xinhua 07 Sep 2015 -- China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Monday urged Japan "to stop being ridiculous" over its complaints about UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon attending last week's World War II commemorative events in Beijing.
- China rejects Philippines' comments on V-Day celebration People's Daily 07 Sep 2015 -- China on Monday rejected comments by the Philippines about its V-Day celebrations and reaffirmed its commitment to world peace.
- Sino-Russian Cooperation Helps Advance China’s Naval Power Sputnik 07 Sep 2015 -- Russian military technology has considerably added to the development of the People’s Liberation Army Navy’s surface warfare capabilities.
- Over 20 J-15 fighters can land on the Liaoning aircraft carrier People's Daily 07 Sep 2015 -- China's aircraft carrier the Liaoning can carry at least 20 fixed-wing carrier-based J-15 fighter jets and the ratio between the pilots and planes is about 1.5:1.
- Annual Han Kuang live-fire drills simulating China attack kick off CNA 07 Sep 2015 -- The live-fire drills of Taiwan's annual Han Kuang military exercises kicked off Monday, simulating an attack from China.
- Cameron Reveals Deadly Syria Drone Strike VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- The British air force killed three Islamic State militants in Syria, including two Britons, in the first such attack last month, Prime Minister David Cameron said.
- U.K. Says Drone Strike Killed Three IS Fighters In Syria RFE/RL 07 Sep 2015 -- U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron says the Royal Air Force has carried out a drone strike in Syria that killed at least one British citizen planning "barbaric" attacks against Britain.
- US revamping militant training strategy in Syria: Report Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- The Pentagon is revamping its strategy of training so-called moderate militants in Syria ostensibly to battle the Daesh terrorist group, according to a report.
- Hollande says French spy drones to fly over Syria Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande has announced that his country is going to send drones over Syria allegedly to spy on Daesh Takfiris, claiming that the terrorist group plans to attack the country.
- Arab Media Report: Syria, Russia Reviving 1980 'Friendship' Treaty VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Arab media are reporting that the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has reactivated a 1980 “friendship” treaty between Damascus and Mosco
- Russia sends arms to Syria to fight terror: Official Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- Russia has confirmed its arms deliveries to Syria, noting that the move aims to assist the Arab country in its fight against terrorism.
- Plan B: Russia May Use New Aid Flight Routes to Syria Bypassing Greece Sputnik 07 Sep 2015 -- Russia may use new flight aid routes to Syria if Greece closes its airspace to Russian aircraft.
- Safeguarding the cultural heritage of Syria and Iraq is essential for future peace, say senior UN officials UN News 07 Sep 2015 -- United Nations Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson and the Director-General of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization Irina Bokova met in Paris to discuss the destruction of cultural heritage and possible measures to counter the rise of violent extremism.
- Saudi jets bomb Yemeni targets: 12 killed , 39 injured Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- Saudi warplanes have bombed a Yemeni residential area, killing 12 people and injuring 39 others in the city of Yarim in Ibb Province.
- Qatari forces cross into Yemen through S Arabia Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- Around 1,000 Qatari military forces have reportedly joined the Saudi troops in their ground invasion of impoverished Yemen.
- Turkish PM Vows To 'Wipe Out' PKK After 16 Soldiers Killed RFE/RL 07 Sep 2015 -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has vowed to "wipe out" Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants after 16 Turkish soldiers were killed by a rebel attack.
- Turkey Bombs PKK After Militants Attack Convoy VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Turkish fighter jets responded overnight with airstrikes against Kurdish militants after the Kurdish fighters attacked a troop convoy near Turkey's border with Iraq and Iran.
- Parents' Nightmare: Turkish Intel Talks With ISIL for Soldier's Release Sputnik 07 Sep 2015 -- Sputnik spoke to Aydin Tas, father of the Turkish soldier who was taken prisoner by Islamic State militants.
- Cameroon Battles Terror Threats as School Year Begins VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Cameroon said terrorism threats loom as millions of children return to school Monday after a three-month holiday.
- French President Urges Four-way Talks on Ukraine Peace Deal VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande has called for a meeting with his German, Russian and Ukrainian counterparts to ensure the peace agreement for eastern Ukraine is carried out.
- As third victim of West Bank arson attack dies, UN envoy urges end to extremist violence 'on all sides' UN News 07 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations special envoy on the Middle East today expressed deep sadness that Reham Dawabsha has succumb to the wounds she received in a terrorist attack in a West Bank village in late July.
- At governing body, UN atomic energy chief spotlights sustainable development, Iran nuclear deal UN News 07 Sep 2015 -- Director General Yukiya Amano provided an update on the application of nuclear safeguards in Iran, Democratic Republic of Korea and Syria.
- IAEA to finalize Iran probe by mid-December: Amano Press TV 07 Sep 2015 -- International Atomic Energy Agency Director-General Yukiya Amano says a probe into Iran’s past nuclear activities will be ready on time.
- More Refugees Pour Into Europe VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- The stream of refugees into Europe continued Monday, as both France and Britain agreed to accept thousands of people from the war-torn Mideast.
- IRC Presses US to Accept More Syrian Refugees VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- The head of the International Rescue Committee is pressuring the United States to do more to ease the plight of Syrians refugees fleeing conflict and streaming into the European Union, whose overall response he criticized as "fumbling, feeble."
- Syria’s Near-Neighbors Paying Price for European Inaction VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- Europeans are struggling to cope with refugees and migrants landing on their shores or having to be rescued from overcrowded unseaworthy craft amid the swells and troughs of the Mediterranean.
- Rwandan Lawmaker Defends Constitutional Revision VOA 07 Sep 2015 -- A Rwandan member of parliament said the process of rebuilding Rwanda into a normal society following the country’s 1994 genocide has been delicate and costly, and President Paul Kagame has been a good steward during that period.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|