05 September 2015 Military News
- US troops ordered to gear up for ISIL chemical attack in Iraq Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- The US Defense Department has ordered its nearly 3,500 troops stationed in Iraq to prepare their chemical attack gears.
- ‘RAF warplanes to stay in Iraq over Daesh’ Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- The British defense secretary has reportedly said the UK will extend its RAF Tornado mission against Daesh terrorists in Iraq by another year.
- Germany, Sweden helping US with ‘kill decisions’ in Afghanistan Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- The United States' military allies Germany and Sweden have been “directly participating” in the so-called “kill decisions” against militants in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan agree to end blame game Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- A senior Pakistani official says the governments in Islamabad and Kabul have agreed to end a blame game over a spate of cross-border attacks.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Springfield Commanding Officer Relieved of Duty NNS 05 Sep 2015 -- The commanding officer of the Groton-based Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Springfield (SSN 761) was relieved of his duties September 4th due to loss of confidence in his ability to command.
- Munition bunkers become rubble, save AF $3.5M AFNS 05 Sep 2015 -- Members of the 92nd Civil Engineer Squadron and the 92nd Contracting Squadron are working toward an Air Force goal of reducing its building footprint by demolishing 1950s-era munitions bunkers at Fairchild Air Force Base.
- China Voice: Troop cuts signal path of peaceful development People's Daily 05 Sep 2015 -- The announcement by President Xi Jinping to cut China's troops by 300,000 ahead of an epic V-Day parade on proves the nation's resolve to sticking to the path of peaceful development.
- Iran Air Force launches major maneuvers Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Air Force (IRIAF) has launched massive two-day maneuvers in the central province of Isfahan.
- Kerry Expresses US Concerns About Russian Moves in Syria VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Secretary of State John Kerry expressed U.S. concern about reports of Russia's enhanced military buildup in Syria in a telephone call with his Russian counterpart.
- US warns Russia over ‘imminent enhanced military buildup’ in Syria Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has told his Russian counterpart that Washington is deeply concerned of reports of "an imminent enhanced Russian military buildup" in Syria.
- France Considering Expanding Anti-ISIL Airstrikes to Syria Sputnik 05 Sep 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande discussed the issue of expanding France’s operations as part of the US-led coalition against the Islamic State militants on Friday with a defense council.
- Protests Continue in Southern Syrian City VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Anti-Syrian government violence spread on Saturday in the heartland of the country's Druze minority.
- One Iraqi Soldier Dead In Search For Kidnapped Turkish Workers RFE/RL 05 Sep 2015 -- An Iraqi soldier has been killed in clashes with gunmen as security forces searched for suspects in the abduction of 18 Turkish workers, Baghdad officials say.
- Saudi cities to become legitimate targets for Yemeni troops: Army Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- The Saudi cities of Jeddah, Abha, and the capital Riyadh will turn into legitimate targets for the Yemeni forces in their retaliatory attacks against the kingdom.
- UAE Pounds Yemen Rebels After Coalition's Deadliest Day VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Warplanes from the United Arab Emirates bombed Shi'ite Houthi targets across Yemen Saturday, a day after at least 55 soldiers from a Saudi-led coalition were killed in a rebel missile strike.
- Ukraine's President Says Cease-Fire Observed For Week RFE/RL 05 Sep 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says that a cease-fire agreement has been observed for the first time for an entire week in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine's President Lauds Renewed Cease-Fire in War-Torn East VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Saturday that the cease-fire in eastern Ukraine had been respected for a week.
- Al-Shabab Militants Seize Towns in Somalia after AU Retreat VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Al-Shabab militants seized two southern Somalian towns from retreating African Union forces Saturday, days after a deadly militant attack on an AU base in the same area killed dozens of Ugandan soldiers, Somali authorities said.
- Somali militants take two towns in Lower Shabelle region of Somalis Press TV 05 Sep 2015 -- Takfiri al-Shabab militants have seized control of two towns in southwestern Somalia, less than a week after the militant group attacked an African Union (AU) base in the same region.
- Refugees Desperate on Both Sides of Turkey’s Border With Syria VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Near the border crossing to Syria, refugees loiter near trucks lined up to deliver food into their country.
- Tajik Forces Close In On Renegade General After 'Terrorist' Attacks RFE/RL 05 Sep 2015 -- Police in Tajikistan say security forces have closed in on a renegade former defense official.
- Two Days of Clashes Leave 35 Dead in Tajikistan VOA 05 Sep 2015 -- Tajikistan security forces killed 13 militants Saturday, the government said, a day after nine police officers and 13 militants died in fighting blamed on a renegade former deputy defense minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|