02 September 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 02 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- Military Airstrikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Sep 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- US launches secret drone campaign in Syria Press TV 02 Sep 2015 -- The CIA and US Special Forces have launched a secret drone campaign in Syria to target senior operatives of the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group.
- Afghanistan Rejects Pakistan's Claim on Haqqani Network VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Afghanistan rejected Pakistan's claim that it has disrupted some anti-Afghan terrorist operations within its borders.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 15 militants in northwest Press TV 02 Sep 2015 -- Pakistani fighter jets have bombed positions of pro-Taliban militants in the country’s rugged northwestern tribal region close to the border with Afghanistan, killing at least 15 militants.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Press Call by Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications, and Jeff Prescott, Senior Director for the Middle East, NSC, on the Upcoming Visit of King Salman of Saudi Arabia The White House 02 Sep 2015
- First operational F-35As arrive at Hill AFB AFNS 02 Sep 2015 -- The Air Force ushered in a new era of combat air power today as Hill Air Force Base received the service's first two operational F-35As.
- DoD Team Surveys Charleston Site for Guantanamo Prisoner Transfer AFPS 02 Sep 2015 -- A Defense Department assessment team is surveying Joint Base Charleston’s Navy Consolidated Brig in South Carolina as a potential prison to house detainees.
- OPM Awards Contract to Protect Data Theft Victims AFPS 02 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Office of Personnel Management officials recently awarded to ID Experts a contract encompassing a comprehensive suite of identity theft and credit monitoring services for compromised victims.
- USAF Next-Gen Long-Range Bomber Prototypes 'Mature' But Haven’t Flown Yet Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Details about the Pentagon’s new Long Range Strike-Bomber (LRS-B) have been kept tightly under wraps.
- Lift-off, Signal Acquired for Navy's Fourth Communication Satellite NNS 02 Sep 2015 -- After a two-day delay due to tropical storm conditions, the Navy's fourth Mobile User Objective System satellite launched.
- 45th SW supports 4th Mobile User Objective System satellite launch AFNS 02 Sep 2015 -- The 45th Space Wing helped successfully launch the fourth Mobile User Objective System satellite aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket.
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus Names Virginia-Class Submarine USS Iowa DoD 02 Sep 2015
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus Names Virginia-Class Submarine USS Montana DoD 02 Sep 2015
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus Names Virginia-Class Submarine NNS 02 Sep 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus hosted a ship-naming ceremony today to announce SSN 794, a Virginia-class attack submarine, will bear the name USS Montana.
- Multi-Mission Launcher Delivery Ceremony Army News 02 Sep 2015 -- The Army Aviation and Missile Research, Development, and Engineering Center will transfer the first prototype of the Multi-Mission Launcher to Program Executive Office, Missiles and Space at a ceremony Sept. 3 at 9 a.m. at the Arsenal.
- U.S., Benin fight illicit trafficking, strengthen borders USMC News 02 Sep 2015 -- American and Beninese officials recognized the beginning of training between U.S. and Benin forces Aug. 31, 2015 at the National Police Academy headquarters.
- 3/17 CAV holds inactivation ceremony Army News 02 Sep 2015 -- The Army's retirement of the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior helicopter has led to the inactivation of Kiowa squadrons across the Army.
- Russia Floats Out New Guided Missile Frigate for Black Sea Fleet Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- The guided missile frigate Admiral Makarovb was launched in the country's exclave of Kaliningrad.
- Under the Veil: Russia Developing Advanced High-Speed Combat Helicopter Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Earlier it was reported that the advanced high-speed combat helicopter was under development.
- Russia, China Will Create Heavy-Lift Helicopter From Scratch Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Russia and China will jointly create a brand new heavy-lift helicopter.
- NATO Activates Six New Hubs On Eastern Flank With Russia RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- Six NATO hubs being established along the alliance's eastern flank went into operation on September 1, the alliance said, in a move responding to a perceived new security threat from Russia.
- China Showcases Military Strength at WWII Parade VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- President Xi Jinping announced he plans to cut the world’s largest military force by 300,000 - by more than 10 percent.
- S. Korea, China Vow to Denuclearize Korean Peninsula VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Reaffirming their commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, South Korean President Park Geun-hye and Chinese President Xi Jinping are calling for a quick resumption of the six-party talks about the issue.
- DPRK drone crosses inter-Korean border during S. Korea-DPRK talks People's Daily 02 Sep 2015 -- A drone from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) flew across the inter-Korean border during S. Korea-DPRK high-level talks.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 2 September 2015 United Nations 02 Sep 2015
- Kremlin: No Russian Jets Participating in Anti-ISIL Airstrikes in Syria Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov urged Wednesday not to believe media claims about the alleged participation of Russian aircraft in airstrikes against the Islamic State jihadist group in Syria.
- Analysis: Turkish Hostage Taking in Iraq Likely IS Retaliation VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- The abduction of 18 Turkish construction workers in Baghdad Wednesday is likely retaliation from Islamic State militants angered by Turkey's efforts to defeat the group.
- Masked gunmen kidnap 18 Turkish nationals in Iraq's Baghdad Press TV 02 Sep 2015 -- At least 18 Turkish nationals have been kidnapped by masked gunmen in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Baghdad had highest level of civilian casualties in August – UN Iraq mission reports UN News 02 Sep 2015 -- Terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq killed more than 1,300 people and injured over 1,800 others last month.
- Human Rights Group Accuses Turkish Police of Violations VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- In a new report, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch accused Turkish police of engaging in severe ill-treatment and abuse of detainees in the battle against the Kurdish PKK rebel group.
- US, Saudi Leaders to Meet Against Backdrop of War, Iran Deal VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Against the backdrop of war in Iraq, Yemen and Syria, and concerns about Iran’s behavior, U.S. President Barack Obama will welcome Saudi King Salman to the White House Friday.
- HRW: Houthis, Pro-Hadi Fighters Abused Detainees in Aden VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Human Rights Watch has called for Houthi fighters and pro-government forces in Yemen's southern city of Aden to humanely treat detainees and to punish anyone responsible for committing abuses against them.
- Yemen ‘on Brink of Disaster’ as Medical Shortages Soar VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Aid agencies warn Yemen is on the brink of humanitarian disaster - with up to half a million children facing severe malnutrition, and hospitals running out of basic medicines.
- Top UN relief official in Yemen condemns ‘despicable’ killing of two Red Cross workers UN News 02 Sep 2015 -- The top United Nations relief official in Yemen, Johannes Van Der Klaauw, has strongly condemned today’s killing of two staff members of the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- Accused Kyiv Grenade Thrower Described As 'Brave' Soldier RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- By all accounts, Ihor Humenyuk was a brave and selfless fighter against Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia to Build Protective Fence on Border With Ukraine Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- The length of the fence is reported to reach 3.22 kilometers. The construction aims to prevent illegal activity on Russian-Ukrainian border.
- Carter: N. Korea has 'No Chance' Defeating S. Korea, US VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter had some strong words for North Korea Tuesday in the wake of escalating tensions along what is considered the world’s most dangerous border.
- North Korea Denies Apologizing for Landmine Blast VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- North Korea has denied apologizing for a landmine explosion that injured two South Koreans, and says Seoul risks hurting bilateral relations if it implies otherwise.
- Nigeria’s Military: Boko Haram Near Extinction VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Nigeria’s military said its forces Tuesday retook from Boko Haram the economic and strategic town of Gamboru Ngala on the border with Cameroon.
- Al-Shabab assault kills 50 AU soldiers in Somalia: Sources Press TV 02 Sep 2015 -- An attack by al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants in southern Somalia has claimed the lives of at least 50 African Union (AU) soldiers and left another 50 missing, Western military sources say.
- ‘Tangible’ results on Libyan political agreement – UN envoy UN News 02 Sep 2015 -- “Tangible” results have been achieved for a political deal in Libya, but concrete solutions to the conflict will only be reached when all parties agree on a final draft.
- Security Council adjusts Liberia sanctions; ends travel ban, keeps arms embargo in place UN News 02 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council renewed an arms embargo on non-State actors in Liberia for nine months while terminating other sanctions on the country.
- Secretary Kerry Remarks on Nuclear Agreement With Iran US Dept. of State 02 Sep 2015
- Previewing the Secretary's Speech on the Iran Nuclear Agreement in Philadelphia US Dept. of State 02 Sep 2015
- In Big Victory for Obama, Iran Nuclear Deal Is Assured of Passage VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- A U.S. senator's announcement that she will vote for the international agreement to restrict Iran's nuclear program gave President Barack Obama a major foreign-policy victory Wednesday.
- Kerry Pushes for Public Support of Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Secretary of State John Kerry is appealing to the American public to support the Iran nuclear deal.
- Kerry Defends Iran Deal As U.S. Obtains Key Vote To Preserve It RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has defended the nuclear agreement with Iran in a speech.
- Iran not to allow inspections beyond NPT: Defense chief Press TV 02 Sep 2015 -- Iran’s Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says Tehran will not allow international inspections of any sites beyond the requirements of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
- Putin Says Sanctions Have Spurred Russian Shift To China RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- In an interview ahead of a two-day trip to Beijing, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the sanctions imposed on Russia by the West have helped spur a shift to China for Russian businesses.
- Russia Vows to Counter New US Sanctions VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Russia said on Wednesday it would respond in kind to new U.S. sanctions imposed on the country over the Ukraine crisis.
- New U.S. Sanctions Against Russian, Chinese Companies For Missile, Technology Transfers RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- The United States has levied new sanctions against a host of major Russian, Chinese and other companies.
- U.S., EU Widen Sanctions On Russia RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- The United States and the European Union are widening sanctions against dozens of Russians and Ukrainian individuals and entities with connections to Crimea's annexation and the ongoing violence in eastern Ukraine.
- EU Agrees To Extend Sanctions On Russia RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- The European Union has agreed to extended sanctions for another six months against Russian firms and individuals, as well as Ukrainian separatists, to maintain pressure on Moscow to carry out the Minsk cease-fire agreement.
- Beijing Readies for Massive WWII Military Parade VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- China is making final preparations for a high-profile military parade in Beijing to mark the defeat of Japanese forces at the end of World War II.
- Pakistani President Describes Pakistan-China As 'Iron Brothers' RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain has described Pakistan and China as “iron brothers” during a meeting with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.
- China's Xi Slams Japanese Invaders on Eve of Huge WWII Parade Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday said the Japanese who invaded China during World War II acted like barbarians who tried to slaughter the people into surrender.
- US Demands Release of 2 Detained Chinese Lawyers VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- The United States has called for the release of Chinese lawyer Zhang Kai and a group of religious figures, including Christian pastors, accused of threatening public order and national security.
- Congo Warlord 'The Terminator' Pleads Not Guilty at ICC VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- A former Congolese rebel leader known as "The Terminator" has pleaded not guilty to charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- UN envoy hails opening of ICC trial against Congolese rebel leader as ‘victory for survivors’ UN News 02 Sep 2015 -- The International Criminal Court trial of Congolese rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda opened today.
- Lebanese Politicians Seek Way to Quell Public Anger VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- As anti-government street protests continue to rock Lebanon’s capital, the country’s political elites are scrambling to find a way to quell rising public anger over alleged government incompetence and graft.
- White House Proposes To Expand Access To Arctic RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- The White House has proposed a faster timetable for buying a new heavy icebreaker as the Obama administration puts new focus on access to the U.S. Arctic and its resources.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|