31 August 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 31 Aug 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 31 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- Australia Urges More European Nations Join IS Air Strikes RFE/RL 31 Aug 2015 -- Australia is urging more European countries to take part in air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) group in Syria and Iraq in an effort to help end the refugee crisis in Europe.
- US Urges Pakistan to Confront Extremist Groups VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice indicated on "a number of occasions" to leaders in Islamabad during her trip to Pakistan that they can do more to confront extremist groups.
- Pakistan says Haqqani network nearly destroyed Press TV 31 Aug 2015 -- A top adviser to the Pakistani government says Pakistani troops have obliterated most of the terrorist Haqqani network in the country.
- Taliban Admits Covering Up 2013 Death Of Leader Mullah Omar RFE/RL 31 Aug 2015 -- The Taliban has admitted that it covered up the death of its leader Mullah Mohammad Omar for more than two years, confirming that he died in 2013 as was first claimed by Afghanistan’s intelligence.
Defense Policy / Programs
- NATO launches joint military exercises with Ukraine in Black Sea Press TV 31 Aug 2015 -- NATO forces and the Ukrainian army have launched joint military exercises in the Black Sea near the Crimean Peninsula that rejoined Russia last year.
- USS Ronald Reagan Departs for Japan NNS 31 Aug 2015 -- After nine years of calling Naval Air Station North Island its homeport, the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) departed San Diego for Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan, Aug. 31.
- ARSENL Reaches Its Ultimate Goal of 50 Autonomous UAVs in Flight NNS 31 Aug 2015 -- Naval Postgraduate School Assistant Professor Timothy Chung met with members of NPS' Advanced Robotic Systems Engineering Laboratory during a field exercise at Camp Roberts, Aug. 27.
- Continuing Promise 2015 Departs the Dominican Republic Completing the 9th Mission Stop NNS 31 Aug 2015 -- The CP-15 team of joint military, partner nation and non-governmental organization personnel assigned to the Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort completed operations on Aug. 22.
- China to showcase new advanced ICBM in military parade CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- China is expected to showcase a variety of missiles, including its DF-5B intercontinental ballistic missile, in a military parade.
- China would invade Taiwan in certain circumstances: MND report CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- China would probably invade Taiwan under certain circumstances, the Ministry of National Defense said in a report .
- MND reports China deploying more missiles against Taiwan CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- Legislator Lin Yu-fang said Monday that China is posing an ever-growing threat to Taiwan and the Asia-Pacific region as a whole.
- China seen likely to declare ADIZ in South China Sea CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- China's island-building spree in the South China Sea has completely changed the strategic structure in the region.
- MND proposes NT$2.9 billion for indigenous submarine project CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- The Ministry of National Defense on Monday submitted a budget proposal of NT$2.9 billion (US$89.32 million) to the Legislative Yuan for an indigenous submarine project.
- Iran's S-300 Lawsuit Impedes Russia's Deliveries of Missile Defense Systems Sputnik 31 Aug 2015 -- If Tehran withdraws its lawsuit over the non-delivery of the S-300 missile defense systems, Moscow will be able to work on supplying Iran with these weapons.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, August 31, 2015 US Dept. of State 31 Aug 2015
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 31 August 2015 United Nations 31 Aug 2015
- Fierce Fighting in N. Syria as Turkey Launches Air Raids VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Islamic State militants are maintaining their offensive on towns at the heart of a safe zone that US and Turkish authorities want to carve out in northern Syria.
- IS Militants Target Another Ancient Temple In Palmyra RFE/RL 31 Aug 2015 -- The Islamic State extremist group has severely damaged an ancient temple in Syria's Palmyra city, a monitoring group and a local resident said on August 30.
- Reports of More Palmyra Destruction Spark Outrage VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Islamic State militants have reportedly destroyed a second iconic Roman-era temple in the historic Syrian oasis town of Palmyra.
- Ukraine’s Poroshenko: Violent Kyiv Protest ‘Stab in the Back’ VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko has described as a "stab in the back" a violent nationalist demonstration against legislation that grants more autonomy to pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukrainian National Guardsman Killed At Protest Outside Parliament RFE/RL 31 Aug 2015 -- Ukrainian nationalists and security forces clashed outside the country's parliament building in Kyiv, injuring scores.
- Yemeni forces bring down Saudi spy drone intact in Jizan Press TV 31 Aug 2015 -- Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah forces and allied army units have successfully captured a reconnaissance drone in territories south of Saudi Arabia.
- Nigeria Arrests Boko Haram Suspects in Abuja, Lagos VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Nigeria's state security agency said it has arrested Boko Haram members in Abuja, the capital, and its largest city, Lagos – cities usually outside the area of operations for the Islamist extremist group.
- S. Sudan Government, Rebels Trade Blame Over Truce Violations VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- South Sudan's government and rebels have accused each other of breaking the cease-fire that was supposed to go into effect on Saturday.
- Obama: Iranian Economy Won't Recover from Sanctions Until 2022 VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- President Barack Obama says it will take the Iranian economy until 2022 to get back to its pre-sanctions level after the recently negotiated nuclear deal comes into force.
- Iran Reformist Leader Detained, Released RFE/RL 31 Aug 2015 -- a term commonly used to describe opposition members who protested former President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's disputed reelection in 2009 -- will not be allowed to win seats in the future parliament.
- Sudan Decries ICC Warrant as President Bashir Visits China VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Sudan’s foreign minister said the International Criminal Court’s indictment of President Omar al-Bashir is merely a European accusation that has been rejected by the rest of the international community, including the African Union.
- Egypt Readies Long-delayed Parliamentary Poll VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Egypt plans to hold its long-delayed parliamentary elections in October and November this year, after more than three years without a legislative branch.
- Malaysia's Prime Minister Vows Not to Step Down VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- Malaysia's government staked its claim to the capital's streets Monday after a two-day demonstration calling for the ouster of Prime Minister Najib Razak.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|