30 August 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Coalition Airstrikes Again Hit Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 30 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- US Wants Pakistan to Help Reduce Violence in Afghanistan VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice told Pakistan’s civil and military leadership that terrorist and militant attacks in Afghanistan have become “a key point of regional friction.”
- Afghan Forces Regain Control of Key Southern District VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- Officials in Afghanistan said national security forces Sunday reestablished government control over a key district in the restive southern province of Helmand after days of bloody clashes with Taliban insurgents.
- Afghan Forces Recapture Symbolic Southern District RFE/RL 30 Aug 2015 -- Afghan officials say government forces, backed by NATO air strikes, have regained control of a strategic southern district seized by the Taliban earlier this week.
- Afghan forces retake strategic southern district from Taliban Press TV 30 Aug 2015 -- Afghan security forces have managed to take back control of a strategic district in the southern province of Helmand from the Taliban militants following days of fierce clashes.
- Afghan Refugees Again On The Run - This Time From Pakistan RFE/RL 30 Aug 2015 -- Only a month ago, Naimatullah was running a school for Afghan migrants in the Pakistani town of Sialkot - a place he had called home for over two decades.
Defense Policy / Programs
- SERE: Man is the environmental impact AFNS 30 Aug 2015 -- Todd Foster, the 336th Training Group training area manager, knows the environmental impact of the U.S. Air Force Survival School and the resources consumed to meet the training requirements for students.
- Russia, US, China Returning to Battleships Era? Sputnik 30 Aug 2015 -- Maybe it's time to build new big battleships, American scholar Robert Farley suggests, adding that he expects the return of the era of big warships.
- Russia’s Top Seven Weapons Sending Shivers Down the Spines of US Military Sputnik 30 Aug 2015 -- We Are The Mighty online magazine recently published a list of seven pieces of new Russian weaponry and military equipment.
- Massive Protest Against Japanese Military Legislation VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- Tens of thousands of Japanese gathered near parliament in Tokyo Sunday to protest legislation that would authorize the military to fight abroad for the first time since World War Two.
- China Prepares to Build Jet Faster Than Legendary US Spy Plane? Sputnik 30 Aug 2015 -- According to various reports, China is planning to develop a turbofan ramjet engine.
- Iran says negotiating with Russia for Sukhoi fighter jets Press TV 30 Aug 2015 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says Tehran is in talks with Moscow for the purchase of Russian-made Sukhoi fighter jets.
- Iran Unveils Upgraded New Air Defense Equipment Sputnik 30 Aug 2015 -- Iran revealed a number of new air defense systems, including upgraded radars and electronic warfare equipment in an exhibition.
- IS Cracks Down On Western Iraqi Town After Protest RFE/RL 30 Aug 2015 -- Islamic State (IS) militants have detained at least 70 people in a western Iraqi town in an effort to crush public dissent against the extremist group.
- Ukraine Cancels Upcoming Local Polls Near Combat Zone VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- Election officials in Ukraine have canceled upcoming local polls in parts of two rebel-controlled regions near the Russian border.
- UN relief wing cites major access challenges in eastern Ukraine, where millions need supplies ahead of winter UN News 30 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations humanitarian wing has reported that aid organizations are facing major challenges in getting access to the most vulnerable of an estimated 5 million people affected by the conflict.
- Nigeria Army Uncovers Boko Haram Bomb Factory VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- Nigeria’s military has uncovered a major Boko Haram bomb-making factory and arrested two leading members of the militant group, military spokesman Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman said.
- Gunmen raid airport in Pakistan, kill one person, abduct another Press TV 30 Aug 2015 -- Pakistani officials say at least one person has been killed and another abducted when gunmen stormed a small airport in Pakistan’s southwestern province of Balochistan.
- Al-Jazeera Reporter Calls For Sissi Pardon After Shock Jail Sentence RFE/RL 30 Aug 2015 -- Al-Jazeera reporter Peter Greste has called on Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi to pardon him and his two colleagues.
- Al Jazeera Journalist Calls for Pardons in Egypt Verdict VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- Australian Al Jazeera journalist Peter Greste said Sunday the sentences handed down to him and his two colleagues on Saturday were "politically motivated."
- Beijing acknowledges KMT's fight against Japanese army CNA 30 Aug 2015 -- China's top Taiwan affairs official on Sunday acknowledged the Kuomintang's (KMT's) contributions to China's War of Resistance against Japan during World War II.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|