27 August 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 27 Aug 2015 [PDF]
- US military distorts intelligence on fight against Daesh terrorists: Report Press TV 27 Aug 2015 -- The Pentagon’s inspector general has started an inquiry into allegations that US military officials distort intelligence assessments to make Washington’s military campaign against the Daesh terrorist group look more successful.
- Airstrikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- Arming the RPAs AFNS 27 Aug 2015 -- Airmen from the 62nd Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron provide every munition that is loaded onto an MQ-1B Predator or MQ-9 Reaper at Kandahar Airfield.
- DoD Identifies Air Force Casualties DoD 27 Aug 2015
- Special tactics Airmen killed in hostile incident AFNS 27 Aug 2015 -- Two special tactics Airmen, who were deployed in support of Operation Freedom's Sentinel, were killed near Camp Antonik, Afghanistan, Aug. 26.
- Pakistan Demands Afghanistan Protect Its Kabul Mission, Staff VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan has demanded Afghanistan ensure protection of its diplomatic staff and premises in Kabul, where officials say Afghan agents are harassing the Pakistani staff, particularly those living outside of the embassy compound.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at a Troop Event at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, California DoD 27 Aug 2015
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, California DoD 27 Aug 2015
- US to Deploy Battle Tanks, Infantry Fighting Vehicles to Poland in 2016 Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- The United States will send heavy military equipment to Poland next year, Poland's defense minister said on Thursday, as part of Washington’s efforts to reassure regional allies uneasy over the conflict in Ukraine.
- China, Australia, U.S. to begin trilateral military exercise People's Daily 27 Aug 2015 -- China, Australia and the United Stateswill conduct a trilateral military exercise in Australia.
- First of Class Research Vessel Neil Armstrong (AGOR 27) Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 27 Aug 2015 -- The first-of-class oceanographic research vessel R/V Neil Armstrong (AGOR 27), successfully completed acceptance trials Aug. 7 the Navy reported Aug. 27.
- AEODRS Tactical EOD Robotic Program Approved for Engineering and Manufacturing Development Phase NNS 27 Aug 2015 -- Naval Sea Systems Command approved Milestone B for the Advance Explosive Ordnance Disposal Robotic System (AEODRS) Tactical Operations variant (Increment 2) Aug. 18.
- Washington firefighting mobilization center stages at Fairchild AFNS 27 Aug 2015 -- A Type 3 Incident Management team arrived at Fairchild Air Force Base Aug. 22 to stand up a fire mobilization center aiding the firefighting efforts across eastern Washington.
- Update: National Guard response to Western wildfires increases Army News 27 Aug 2015 -- More than 2,000 National Guard members are assisting state and local authorities in battling wildfires across five states in the Western U.S.
- France Refunds Russia for Mistral Contract Termination Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- According to a high-ranking source, France has returned Russia all the money for the Mistrals.
- Successor to Russia's Tu-160 Bomber to Be Equipped With Advanced Avionics Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- The principle of integrated modular avionics, in which each aircraft system can perform various functions, will be implemented in a modernized version of Russia’s Tu-160 strategic bomber.
- Remarks by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the joint press point with the Prime Minister of Georgia, Irakli Garibashvili NATO 27 Aug 2015
- Remarks by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the opening of the Joint Training and Evaluation Centre in Georgia NATO 27 Aug 2015
- Statement by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the joint press point with the President of Georgia, Giorgi Margvelashvili NATO 27 Aug 2015
- Tiny Baltic State Takes Offense at Finland Over Much-Feared Russian Threat Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- Lithuania has “no direct obligation to defend Finland from Russia, but, if such a situation takes place, NATO, more than likely, will find a way to do that."
- NATO Opens Training Center In Georgia RFE/RL 27 Aug 2015 -- NATO says a new training center in Georgia will help the Caucasus country to move closer to membership in the military alliance.
- China Launches Large-Scale Military Drills in Disputed Regions Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- Amidst territorial disputes between Beijing and Tokyo, the Chinese military has conducted live-fire air and sea drills in the East China Sea.
- Report: Pakistan on Pace to Become Third-Largest Nuclear Power VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan is building 20 nuclear bombs a year and could become the world's third-largest nuclear power within a decade, according to a new report.
- Taiwan still optimistic about shifting to all-volunteer military CNA 27 Aug 2015 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense expressed optimism over its plan to shift to an all-volunteer force by 2017, after it decided recently to push back the target date for ending conscription.
- Taiwan conducts first live-fire drill with Apache helicopters CNA 27 Aug 2015 -- Taiwan's Army conducted a live-fire drill earlier this week to test the combat capabilities of the recently acquired AH-64E Apache attack helicopters.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, August 27, 2015 US Dept. of State 27 Aug 2015
- Al-Qaida's Syria Affiliate Reemerges VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The almost singular focus by the United States and some of its coalition partners on defeating the group known as the Islamic State appears to be giving new life to the group's chief rival.
- Ban strongly condemns use of chemical weapons and toxic chemicals as weapons in Syria conflict UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon strongly condemned any such use by any party to the conflict.
- Unease With Assad Regime on the Rise VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- A growing number of soldiers and civilians in government-controlled areas of Syria are expressing rare public disaffection with the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
- ISIL Captures New Territories Near Turkish Border from Syrian Rebels Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- The self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS) has wrestled control of five villages in Syria’s northern Aleppo province from rebel groups
- North Caucasus Men In Syria Face Different Fates On Russia Return RFE/RL 27 Aug 2015 -- The Russian media published two very different reports this week about Russian citizens who returned home allegedly after fighting alongside the Islamic State in Syria.
- Turkey says will go on with training, arming Syria militants Press TV 27 Aug 2015 -- Turkey has reaffirmed its support for militants operating in Syria.
- UN humanitarian chief urges Security Council action to end ‘immense suffering’ of Syrians UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations humanitarian chief today urged the Security Council to do everything in its power to push for a political solution to end the conflict in Syria.
- Two Senior Iraqi Commanders Killed In Ramadi Attack RFE/RL 27 Aug 2015 -- Two senior Iraqi military commanders have been killed in a car bomb attack north of Ramadi, the capital of Anbar Province.
- IS Car Bomb Kills 2 Iraqi Military Commanders VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- An Islamic State suicide car bomber has driven into a convoy of Iraqi troops, killing two senior military commanders, according to Iraqi officials.
- Saudi ground forces enter northern Yemen: Military official Press TV 27 Aug 2015 -- Saudi Arabia’s ground troops have entered Yemen’s northern territories to counter growing retaliatory attacks by Yemeni forces on Saudi soil, a military official says.
- Ukraine, Pro-Russia Rebels Exchange Prisoners VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Ukraine's military and Russia-backed rebels carried out a prisoner exchange Thursday in eastern Ukraine, a result of an agreement this week by the two sides to halt the ongoing violence by September 1.
- Kyiv Accuses Separatists of Multiple Cease-fire Violations VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Ukraine accused Russia-backed rebels of multiple cease-fire violations Thursday, a day after representatives of the two sides agreed to try to halt the ongoing violence by September 1.
- Organization Launched To Support Russian 'Volunteers' In Ukraine Conflict RFE/RL 27 Aug 2015 -- A former leader of separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine has announced the launch of a support network for Russian volunteers who fought in the conflict and the families of those killed.
- Arab League Delays Forming Joint Force VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The Arab League has postponed its effort to form a regional military force to fight Islamic State militants in Libya, apparently because the league's members are divided in their views on the civil war in the north African state.
- Libya's Tripoli Faction Delays Joining Unity Government Talks VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations said talks to form a unity government in Libya restarted in Morocco but without the Tripoli delegation.
- As Libyan political talks resume, UN envoy urges parties to set aside differences, agree unity government UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has announced that a round of Libyan political dialogue began today in Skhirat, Morocco.
- Qatar, Turkey to Blame for Forcing Political Islam in Libya Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- Certain states aim to impose political Islam in Libya, Libyan Prime Minister told Sputnik in an interview.
- Clashes in Central African Republic force thousands to seek refuge at UN peacekeeping base UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- Clashes between rival militias in the past few days have forced several thousand people to flee their homes in the Central African Republic (CAR) town of Bambari.
- S. Sudan Rebels Hopeful About Peace Deal VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- South Sudanese rebels say they are hopeful a newly-signed peace treaty will be carried out and bring an end to the country's 20-month civil war.
- Ban welcomes South Sudanese leader Kiir’s signature of agreement to resolve conflict UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the move is “a critical and necessary step towards ending the 20 month-long conflict.
- UN humanitarian agencies reach thousands of South Sudanese cut off for months UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- Emergency relief teams from the United Nations have managed to reach more than 27,000 people in a town in South Sudan cut off by insecurity since March.
- Nigerian Protesters Mark 500th Day Since Girls' Kidnapping VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Protesters held a march and vigil in Nigeria's capital on Thursday, the 500th day since more than 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped in Chibok by Boko Haram militants.
- Israeli jets attack central Gaza Strip Press TV 27 Aug 2015 -- Israeli fighter jets have conducted airstrikes against an area in the besieged Gaza Strip following a claim by the Israeli military that a rocket was fired from the Palestinian enclave toward Israel.
- US Ex-Generals Urge Congress to Reject Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- A group of nearly 200 retired, high-ranking American military officials is urging U.S. lawmakers to reject the Iran nuclear deal, arguing it will not prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.
- IAEA verifies Iran's compliance with commitments Press TV 27 Aug 2015 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has confirmed Iran's compliance with its commitments regarding its nuclear program.
- Kim Skipping WWII Ceremony Shows Troubled China-North Korea Ties VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s decision to skip China’s high-profile military parade indicates a difficult relationship between China and North Korea, experts say.
- Final MH17 Crash Report Due In October RFE/RL 27 Aug 2015 -- The Dutch Safety Board has announced that the final report into the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine last year will be published on October 13.
- Estonia To Build Fence Along Russian Border RFE/RL 27 Aug 2015 -- Estonia says it plans to build a fence along part of its eastern border with Russia to safeguard its security and protect the EU's passport-free Schengen Area.
- US, UN Emphasize Respect for Constitution in DRC VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The United States and United Nations are urging Congo to abide by its election calendar and the two-term limit for presidents.
- US Backs Sri Lanka Human Rights Probe VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The U.S. was in the forefront of calls for an international probe into the abuses.
- Urging end to 'delaying' tactics, UN rights experts call for fairness in Guatemala's genocide trial UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- United Nations experts on genocide prevention and transitional justice called on Guatemalan judicial authorities to “prevent any further attempt at interference, obstruction of justice or manipulation of the law."
- U.S. Obligations for Sanctioned Foreign Nationals Traveling to United Nations General Assembly US Dept. of State 27 Aug 2015
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|