23 August 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue in Iraq, Syria AFPS 23 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- Pakistan: Terrorist Fire From Afghanistan Kills 4 Soldiers VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan's military said a "group of terrorists" staged a rocket attack from across the Afghan border Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon confirms explosion at US military base in Japan Press TV 23 Aug 2015 -- The United States has confirmed reports of a thunderous explosion at one of its military bases in Japan.
- Iran, Russia to Join Hands to Build Fighter Jets Sputnik 23 Aug 2015 -- Iran and Russia will cooperate in the “joint designing and manufacturing” of combat aircraft, the Islamic Republic’s defense minister announced on Saturday.
- North, South Korea Talks Stretch Late VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- North and South Korean officials resumed marathon talks Sunday afternoon and continued deep into the night in an urgent bid to avert war on the peninsula.
- Seoul Loses Track of Over 50 N Korean Subs Allegedly Headed for Operations Sputnik 23 Aug 2015 -- The South Korean military cannot locate over 50 North Korean submarines which have allegedly set sail from their bases in the Yellow Sea and the Sea of Japan.
- UAE Forces Rescue British Al-Qaida Hostage in Yemen VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Forces from the United Arab Emirates rescued a British national Saturday in a "military intelligence operation" 18 months after he was kidnapped by al-Qaida militants in eastern Yemen.
- Poroshenko Urges Special Status for Separatist East Ukraine VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko called upon his coalition allies in the country to support plans for a constitutional change that he hopes would end the separatist conflict raging in the east.
- Nigeria army chief escapes Boko Haram ambush Press TV 23 Aug 2015 -- Boko Haram Takfiri terrorists have ambushed a convoy carrying the Nigerian military chief, sparking a gun battle in which at least one soldier and 10 militants were killed.
- India, Pakistan: Why NSA Talks Failed? VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan finally blinked in what some observers called an absurd game of diplomatic chicken with its rival India.
- US Airman recognized as 'hero' in Paris AFNS 23 Aug 2015 -- U.S. Ambassador to France, Jane D. Hartly, recognized Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone for his actions in saving countless lives during a terrorist attack aboard a train headed toward Paris Aug. 21.
- Britain Reopens Embassy in Iran VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Britain reopened its embassy in Iran's capital Sunday, nearly four years after it closed following an attack by protesters who stormed the building.
- Kurdish Mayors In Turkey Arrested For Supporting Self-Rule RFE/RL 23 Aug 2015 -- A Turkish court on August 23 remanded in custody three mayors from Kurdish-dominated southeastern Turkey on charges of trying to destroy national unity by allegedly supporting calls for Kurdish self-rule in the region.
- Lebanon PM Hints at Quitting After More Protests Turn Violent VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Lebanon's prime minister promised Sunday to hold accountable those responsible for using excessive force against protesters
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|