04 August 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 04 Aug 2015 [PDF]
- Anti-ISIL Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Monitor Says Hundreds Of Civilians Killed By Coalition Air Strikes RFE/RL 04 Aug 2015 -- U.S.-led air strikes targeting the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria have likely killed at least 459 civilians over the past year, an independent monitoring group said August 3.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 04 Aug 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Coalition trains Iraqi security forces to defeat ISIL USMC News 04 Aug 2015 -- With the ever-present threat of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, having a strong and capable fighting force to defeat them is a priority. The Iraqi army's 7th Division, with the help of Combined Joint Task ForceľOperation Inherent Resolve's multination coalition forces, are at the forefront of that fight.
- US drone strikes kill 26 in Afghanistan's Nangarhar Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- More than two dozen people have been killed in two separate US drone strikes in the troubled eastern Afghanistan, Press TV reports.
- Kabul Unsympathetic To Mourning Mullah Omar RFE/RL 04 Aug 2015 -- led by Bamiyan's civil activists, local religious council leaders, and former mujahedin -- said any commemoration or tribute was 'unjustifiable' and 'unacceptable.'
- Head of Taliban's Qatar Office Quits as Leadership Rift Grows VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- The head of the Afghan Taliban's political office in Qatar has resigned, and issued a highly critical statement that highlights growing internal schisms since last week's confirmation of the death of founder Mullah Mohammad Omar.
- IMU Spells Out Grievances With Afghan Taliban RFE/RL 04 Aug 2015 -- The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) has accused the Taliban of deceit and collusion, and demanded that the Afghan militant movement tell the truth about the circumstances of its late leader's death.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Jamming the enemy with joint integration AFNS 04 Aug 2015 -- Walking the halls of the 41st Electronic Combat Squadron is someone in an unfamiliar uniform.
- Eye in the sky, RPA Airmen in the Red Flag fight AFNS 04 Aug 2015 -- The sun beats down on the dry Nevada desert, bringing a smell of fuel that fills the air. Engines begin roaring to life as the Airmen of the 432nd Wing prepare to support Red Flag 15-3 from July 13-31.
- Department of Defense Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal Year 2015 through June 2015 DoD 04 Aug 2015 -- The Department of Defense (DoD) announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal year (FY) 2015 through June 2015.
- USNS Spearhead Arrives in Belize for SPS-JHSV 15 NNS 04 Aug 2015 -- USNS Spearhead (JHSV 1) arrived in Belize, Aug. 3, to offload adaptive force packages (AFPs) during Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15).
- Expeditionary Marines to train on Guam, Tinian, Palau USMC News 04 Aug 2015 -- The 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit is scheduled to participate in certification exercises on the islands of Guam, Tinian and Palau from Aug. 10-19.
- USS Germantown (LSD 42) Arrives in Indonesia for CARAT 2015 NNS 04 Aug 2015 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Germantown (LSD 42), with embarked elements of the U.S. Marine Corps, arrived Aug. 4 to participate in the annual Cooperation Afloat and Readiness Training (CARAT) exercise with the Indonesian Navy.
- USS Stethem Visits Qingdao to Promote Cooperation with PLA(N) NNS 04 Aug 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) conducted a port visit in Qingdao, July 28-30, to promote maritime cooperation and reinforce a positive naval relationship with the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLA(N)).
- USNS Mercy Arrives in Subic Bay, Philippines for Pacific Partnership NNS 04 Aug 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) arrived in Subic Bay, Philippines, Aug. 4 for the second half of its mission stop in the host nation for Pacific Partnership 2015.
- Japan to temporarily halt preparation work on new US base Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Japan is set to suspend preparation work for the construction of a new US military base on the southern island of Okinawa, a government official says, amid widespread local protests against the facility's relocation.
- Air force and air defense army formed in Russia's Central Military District TASS 04 Aug 2015 -- The 14th Air Force and Air Defense Army has been formed in Russia's Central Military District, the aid to the district's commander, Colonel Yaroslav Roshchupkin, has told TASS.
- Russia's Novorossiysk submarine ready to join Black Sea Fleet after trials TASS 04 Aug 2015 -- The Novorossiysk, Russia's new Project 636 (Varshavyanka) diesel-electric submarine has completed trials in the Northern Fleet and is ready to sail to the Black Sea to its permanent base, Northern Fleet acting spokesman, Captain 2nd Rank Andrei Luzik said on Tuesday.
- Defence Secretary Announces Tornado Extension UK MOD 04 Aug 2015 -- The frontline RAF Tornado squadron spearheading Britain's air campaign against ISIL in Iraq will be maintained in service until March 2017.
- The reasons behind China's decision to build 2nd aircraft carrier base in Hainan People's Daily 04 Aug 2015 -- Malacca Strait, Lombok Strait and Sunda Strait, making it easier for its naval fleet's composition. Ma also said the base can protect its comparatively weak oil passage to ensure its economic development.
- China promotes commercial insurance service in military People's Daily 04 Aug 2015 -- The State Council and China's Central Military Commission (CMC) approved a document on instructing commercial insurance institutions to provide insurance services for the army a few days ago, making national-level institutional arrangements on the commercial insurance service in the military.
- Ukraine Needs $4.6Bln Annually to Maintain Contract Army Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- Ukrainian defense minister's aide Yuriy Biriukov said that more than $4.6 billion] is required to have a contract army.
- The Government's plan for a strong and sustainable naval shipbuilding industry Prime Minister of Australia 04 Aug 2015 -- The Commonwealth Government is delivering a long-term plan for a strong and sustainable naval shipbuilding industry. Over the next 20 years the Government will invest over $89 billion in ships and submarines for the Navy.
- Joint Press Conference, Adelaide Prime Minister of Australia 04 Aug 2015 -- Subjects: The Government's plan for a strong and sustainable naval shipbuilding industry; Productivity Commission draft report into workplace relations; Speaker; reform of parliamentary entitlements.
- Australia to Spend $65Bln on Navy Over 20 Years - Ministers Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- Australia's prime minister and defense minister stated that Australian government intends spending 89 billion Australian dollars (about $65 billion) to boost the country's naval capabilities over the next 20 years.
- August 4, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2015
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 8/4/2015 The White House 04 Aug 2015
- 4 August 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Aug 2015
- UN envoy on Yemen presses on towards political solution with meetings in Cairo UN News 04 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen met with officials in Cairo as part of the ongoing efforts to reach a political solution to a conflict that has led to just over 1,900 civilian deaths since fighting erupted in March and caused almost 100,000 people to flee the country.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Deploys Nearly 3,000 Troops in Yemen - Reports Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- A ground force of 2,800 pro-government troops, accompanied by tanks and armored personnel carriers, pushed toward a Houthi-controlled military base in Yemen Monday as Saudi-led coalition airstrikes cleared their path.
- Houthis Suffer Losses as Saudi-Backed Fighters Continue Yemen Offensive Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- Yemeni forces loyal to deposed President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi continue to make significant gains in the south, recapturing more territory from Iranian-allied Shi'ite Houthi rebels.
- Yemen forces repel Hadi supporters' attack on airbase in Lahij Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Yemen's Ansarullah fighters and allied military forces have repelled a large-scale attack by the supporters of the fugitive former president on a key airbase in the southwestern Lahij province.
- Saudi, UAE troops aiding pro-Hadi militants in Yemen: Report Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Forces loyal to the former Yemeni regime say they are being assisted by ground troops from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in their battle against Ansarullah fighters and allied forces from the army and the Popular Committees.
- Yemen intensifies retaliatory attacks, troops flee Saudi bases Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Hundreds of Saudi soldiers have fled their positions on the southern border of Saudi Arabia as Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement and the allied Yemeni army units step up retaliatory attacks on Saudi military bases in the area.
- EU, US Call for Turkish Restraint Against Kurds VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- The European Union and the U.S. on Tuesday urged Turkey to show restraint in its intensive air bombardment against Kurdish rebels, even as the insurgents killed two more Turkish soldiers and a guard.
- Millions left in need after funding shortage forces UN health agency to cut services in Iraq UN News 04 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations health agency was forced to suspend 84 per cent of frontline programmes in 10 governorates in Iraq in July due to insufficient funding, leaving almost three million people without access to urgently-needed healthcare services.
- Over 100 Izadis leave Iraq every day: Official Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- More than 100 members of the Izadi Kurdish community leave Iraq on a daily basis to save their lives amid the unrelenting threat of death from militants of the ISIL Takfiri group, officials say.
- Kurdish Leader Wants Battle Areas Added To Iraq's Kurdish Region RFE/RL 04 Aug 2015 -- Iraqi Kurds must maintain control of the city of Sinjar and other areas of northwestern Iraq they are fighting to liberate from the Islamic State, the leader of Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region said August 3.
- Syria army, Hezbollah fighters liberate positions west of Zabadani Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Syrian forces and fighters of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah have liberated some positions held by militants in Syria's southwestern city of Zabadani.
- Al-Qaeda's Syria Affiliate Takes US-Trained Rebels Hostage Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group, the al-Qaeda linked group al-Nusra has taken five US-trained Syrian rebels hostage.
- Islamic Extremists Target Homs, Syria VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- Despite facing severe threats in northern Syria from Turkish and U.S.-led coalition airstrikes, and Kurdish-led forces threatening their de-facto capital of Raqqa, Islamic State extremists are expanding an offensive in central Syria.
- Cameroon expels 3,000 Nigerians as part of Boko Haram battle Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Cameroon has expelled over 3,000 Nigerians as part of its battle against Takfiri Boko Haram militants in neighboring Nigeria.
- Cameroon's Anti-Boko Haram Strategy Hampers Commerce VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- Cameroon has sealed parts of its long river border with Nigeria and prohibited travel from dusk to dawn as part of measures to stop Boko Haram terrorism. Cameroon's governors from areas sharing a border with neighboring Nigeria have expelled about 200 Chadians and arrested hundreds of people said to have Boko Haram sympathies.
- 3 die in India-Pakistan exchange of fire in Kashmir Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Indian and Pakistani soldiers have once again exchanged fire along the de facto border in the disputed region of Kashmir, leaving at least two Pakistanis and an Indian villager dead.
- Donors urged to meet critical funding shortfall faced by UN agency assisting Palestinian refugees UN News 04 Aug 2015 -- Voicing concern over the financial situation confronting the United Nations agency assisting Palestine refugees, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all donors to urgently ensure adequate and sustainable financing for vital services as soon as possible.
- US Lawmakers Focus on Verifying Iran's Nuclear Compliance VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- U.S. lawmakers emerged from a closed-door meeting with top intelligence officials giving widely diverging views on America's ability to detect any cheating by Iran on the terms of last month's landmark international nuclear accord.
- US Lawmakers Ponder Costs of Rejecting Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- One day before U.S. President Barack Obama delivers a major speech urging approval of an international nuclear pact with Iran, U.S. lawmakers expected to vote on the deal wrestled with the possible consequences of rejecting it.
- Increasing Violence in Burundi Stokes Fear of Civil War VOA 04 Aug 2015 -- The fear of civil war breaking out in Burundi is growing as violence and human rights violations in the country increase. The U.N. Human Rights Office says it is extremely worried about the situation in which activists and journalists are being targeted by agents of the country's national intelligence agency.
- Church v state: a worrying dynamic for Burundi IRIN 04 Aug 2015 -- The growing schism between the Catholic Church and Burundi's political leadership is a particularly worrisome aspect of the fallout from President Pierre Nkurunziza's bid for a third term, which has already seen dozens killed in protests and 175,000 people, mostly women and children, flee the country since April.
- Burundi: UN condemns assassination attempt on leading human rights defender UN News 04 Aug 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations human rights office have strongly condemned the assassination attempt on Pierre Claver Mbonimpa, a leading Burundian human rights defender who was shot and wounded by unknown assailants in the capital on Monday.
- Russia Files Revised Arctic Shelf Expansion Claim to UN Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- Russia has submitted a revised application to the United Nations seeking the expansion of its Arctic shelf border.
- Russia files UN claim over vast Arctic Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Russia has filed a claim at the UN for a large swathe of the Arctic, more than a decade after its first claim was turned down.
- Russia Delivers First Two RD-181 Rocket Engines Under $1Bln Contract to US Sputnik 04 Aug 2015 -- Russia has shipped two RD-181 rocket engines to the US under a $1 billion contract with US Orbital Sciences Corporation for the delivery of 60 engines for its Antares launcher.
- Health 'time-bomb' as Yemen runs dry IRIN 04 Aug 2015 -- Yemen's water problem is not new but it is now so acute that the country is close to running dry. The vast majority of the population has no access to clean water, while state water companies are at risk of bankruptcy.
- Lukashenka Vows Aggressors Against Belarus Will 'Die By The Sword' RFE/RL 04 Aug 2015 -- Belarus is the only honest, decent, and reliable ally Russia has got today.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|