02 August 2015 Military News
- Coalition Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Haqqani militant group backs new Taliban leader Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- The leader of the Haqqani network militant group has reportedly voiced support for Taliban's recently-appointed leader, Mullah Akhtar Mansour.
- Taliban Issues Purported Message From Haqqani Network Founder RFE/RL 02 Aug 2015 -- The Afghan Taliban has published a written statement purportedly quoting Jaluluddin Haqqani as it continues to deny claims that the Haqqani network founder is dead.
- Mullah Omar's Family Challenges New Taliban Leadership RFE/RL 02 Aug 2015 -- The family of the late Afghan Taliban leader, Mullah Mohammad Omar, says it's not backing his announced successor and that religious scholars and veterans of the movement should choose his replacement.
- US drone attack kills 5 people in Afghanistan Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- A US assassination drone has killed five people in Afghanistan's southeastern Logar Province, Press TV reports.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Michigan Returns to the Pacific Northwest NNS 02 Aug 2015 -- The Ohio-class guided-missile submarine USS Michigan (SSGN 727) returned home to the Pacific Northwest Aug. 1, following a 20-month deployment in the Western Pacific.
- Russia unveils armored multipurpose battlefield robot Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Russian scientists are developing an AI-capable armored robotic platform, which is utilizable in battlefield, nuclear fallout, and extreme arctic environments.
- Military Helicopter Crashes in Central Russia Sputnik 02 Aug 2015 -- The helicopter crashed during a demonstration flight at an airshow in Russia's Ryazan region.
- Mi-28 helicopter crash in central Russia caused by technical failure TASS 02 Aug 2015 -- A technical failure was the cause for the crash of a Mil Mi-28N helicopter at the Dubrovichi aviation range in the Ryazan Region in central Russia, Air Force Chief, Col.-Gen. Viktor Bondarev said on Sunday.
- Press Availability with Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Hassan Shoukry US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2015 -- John Kerry, Secretary of State
- Remarks at the U.S.-Egypt Strategic Dialogue US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2015 -- Remarks by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- Saudi Arabia keeps pounding areas in Yemen Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Saudi Arabia continues bombarding areas in Yemen as the army in the impoverished Arab country goes on carrying out rocket attacks in retaliation for the Saudi airstrikes.
- Egypt Expands Military Mission in Yemen for 6 Months Sputnik 02 Aug 2015 -- Egypt reportedly prolonged the participation of its armed forces in the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen for six months.
- Yemeni army, Ansarullah seize Saudi strategic military base IRNA 02 Aug 2015 -- Yemeni joint forces took control of a strategic military base in retaliation for the Riyadh government's ongoing aggression against their country's civilian population.
- Three Chinese Ships Briefly Intrude Japan's Waters Near Disputed Islands Sputnik 02 Aug 2015 -- Three Chinese Coast Guard vessels entered the Japanese waters near disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea.
- Iraqi army dismantles 200 explosive devices in Anbar Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Iraqi security forces have discovered and defused nearly 200 explosive devices in the country's western province of Anbar.
- One Year After Massacre, Iraq's Yazidis a Broken People VOA 02 Aug 2015 -- A year ago, on August 3, Islamic State militants stormed the homelands of Iraq's Yazidi minority, killing hundreds of men and enslaving thousands of women.
- Turkey strike kills 10 civilians in Iraq: Pro-Kurdish party Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- A pro-Kurdish party in Turkey says the country's army has killed 10 civilians, including women and children, in an airstrike against Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) targets in northern Iraq, a claim denied by Ankara.
- Iraqi Kurds Calls for Kurdistan Workers Party to Leave Its Territory Sputnik 02 Aug 2015 -- According to reports, Kurdish regional government in Iraq urges Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) to leave its territory to prevent casualties among civilians.
- Kurd Suicide Attack Kills 2 Turkish Soldiers VOA 02 Aug 2015 -- Kurdish rebels launched a suicide attack Sunday at a military police post in eastern Turkey, killing two soldiers and wounding 24 others.
- Government troops, Hezbollah fighters kill 70 militants in Syria Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Over 70 foreign-backed militants have been killed in recent clashes with Syrian soldiers and Hezbollah fighters in the western-central Hama province, a UK-based monitoring group says.
- Syrian army forces pound western Syria, kill 20 Takfiris Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- At least 20 foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists have been killed when Syrian army troopers carried out assaults against militant hideouts in the country's western province of Latakia.
- Syrian Kurds Uneasy About US-Turkey Deal VOA 02 Aug 2015 -- After having proved themselves an effective fighting force against Islamic extremists, Syrian Kurds are worrying Washington will distance itself from their fighters and look the other way as Turkey resumes its war against Kurdish separatists.
- East Ukraine's Donetsk Suspects Kiev of Plotting Violence in Mariupol Sputnik 02 Aug 2015 -- The active movement of the Ukrainian armed forces' heavy weaponry would allow Kiev to falsely accuse Donbass militias of carrying out artillery attacks, according to the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic defense spokesman.
- Nigeria: Army Rescues 178 from Boko Haram VOA 02 Aug 2015 -- Nigerian military forces have rescued 178 people being held by the Islamist insurgent group Boko Haram in the northeast of the country.
- At least 13 villagers killed by Boko Haram in Nigeria Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Militants from the Boko Haram terrorist group have killed at least 13 people from a village in northeastern Nigeria.
- UN chief condemns killing of peacekeeper in Central African Republic UN News 02 Aug 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned today the killing of a peacekeeper from the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA).
- Iran defends its interests with integrity, honor: Rouhani IRNA 02 Aug 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said the entire Iranian nation will stand behind its Leader and rights and will safeguard them by honorable ways as it did during Saddam-imposed war and never resorted to retaliate with chemical attacks.
- Economic gains helped nuclear achievement: Rouhani IRNA 02 Aug 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said his government's success in curbing inflation by 15 percent and acheiving positive growth rate dimayed the enemies from pressuring Iran at the nuclear negotations table.
- Resolution 2231 unique in terminating sanctions: Rouhani IRNA 02 Aug 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said the UN Security Council 2231 last July was unique in the history of the world body in the case of overriding its previous sanctions.
- Achievement of Iranian administration beyond expectation: Rouhani Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the achievement of his administration in resolving the nuclear issue has been beyond initial expectations.
- Kerry Seeks To Reassure Gulf Allies Over Iran Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 02 Aug 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is seeking to reassure allies in the Middle East that the Iran nuclear will make the region safer.
- Iranian President Says Nuclear Deal Achieves Nation's Goals RFE/RL 02 Aug 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani says his country achieved its main goals in a historic deal with world powers that would lift sanctions against Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program.
- Kerry to Address GCC Concerns About Iran Deal VOA 02 Aug 2015 -- Secretary of State John Kerry has arrived in Qatar where he will meet with his counterparts in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) to allay concerns about the Iran nuclear deal.
- Egypt's president amends electoral law ahead of parliamentary vote Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has amended the electoral law ahead of a long-delayed parliamentary vote.
- Close aide to Burundian president killed in Bujumbura Press TV 02 Aug 2015 -- A top Burundian general and close aide to President Pierre Nkurunziza has been assassinated in the capital, Bujumbura, amid an ongoing political upheaval in the country.
- Israel OKs Detention of Jewish Militants Without Trial VOA 02 Aug 2015 -- Israel has ordered detentions without trial of Israeli citizens suspected of waging violence against Palestinians, as part of a crackdown against those responsible for a deadly arson attack on a Palestinian family in the occupied West Bank.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|