The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

Houthis Commander Refutes Claims Leader Rejected Humanitarian Truce

Sputnik News

19:31 26.07.2015(updated 20:34 26.07.2015)

The Houthi commander said that the leader of Yemen's Houthi movement Abdel-Malek Houthi did not reject the humanitarian ceasefire proposed by the Saudi-led coalition.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The leader of Yemen's Houthi movement did not reject the humanitarian ceasefire proposed by the Saudi-led coalition, as was earlier reported by media, the pan-Arabist Al Mayadeen television channel reported Sunday, citing one of the Houthi commanders.

On Saturday, the Saudi-led coalition announced a five-day humanitarian truce with the Houthi rebels in Yemen. The truce is due to come into force on 20:59 GMT Sunday. Earlier on Sunday, media outlets reported that Houthi leader Abdel-Malek Houthi rejected the proposed ceasefire in a message posted on the group's Twitter account.

The Houthi commander told Al Mayadeen that Abdel-Malek Houthi did not make such statement. The rebels are yet to comment on the humanitarian truce, according to the broadcaster.

Yemen has been in a state of turmoil since 2014, when Houthi rebels took control over large parts of the country, prompting President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi to flee.

In late March, the Saudi-led coalition of Arab states began airstrikes against Houthis in Yemen at the request of Hadi.

According to the UN statistics, more than 21.1 million people in Yemen are in need of aid, of which 13 million are faced with food shortages.

Sputnik



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list