Bomb blast kills 25 in Nigeria northern city
Iran Press TV
Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:30PM
A bomb blast has ripped through a government office in northern Nigeria, killing at least 25 people and injuring some others.
Local Nigerian officials said the powerful explosion took place in northern city of Zaria in Kaduna state at about 9:00 am (0800 GMT) on Tuesday.
'I am sad to confirm that an IED (improvised explosive device) most likely carried by a suicide bomber exploded in the Sabon Gari LG (local government district) and killed 25 people, including a two-year-old,' Kaduna state governor Nasir El-Rufai said on Facebook.
Witnesses said the blast targeted primary school teachers and public sector workers, who were queuing for identity checks.
No individual or group has so far claimed responsibility for the deadly attack. However, the Nigerian government usually blames Takfiri Boko Haram militants for similar incidents.
The latest attack comes after two bomb explosions targeted a mosque and a restaurant in the Nigerian central city of Jos Sunday night, killing 44 people.
Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly bombings and shooting attacks in Nigeria since the beginning of its operation in 2009. The militancy has left some 15,000 people dead and around 1.5 million others displaced over the past six years.
The militant group says its main objective is to overthrow the Abuja government.
Boko Haram has intensified its attacks since President Muhammadu Buhari came to power nearly one and a half month ago. Nearly 550 people have been killed since Buhari's inauguration on May 29.
The Boko Harman militancy has also spilled over into several neighboring African nations as well. Troops from Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger have already been battling Boko Haram terrorists in recent months.
The terrorists have recently pledged allegiance to the ISIL Takfiri group, which is primarily operating inside Syria and Iraq.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|