Bomb blasts leave 44 dead in central Nigeria
Iran Press TV
Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:48AM
Two bomb explosions have targeted a mosque and a restaurant in the Nigerian central city of Jos, killing at least 44 people.
The blasts blamed on Takfiri Boko Haram militants hit the crowded Yantaya Mosque and Shagalinku restaurant in Jos on Sunday night.
Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency coordinator Abdussalam Mohammed said that 67 others were also wounded in the bombings.
According to witnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals, the blast at the Yantaya Mosque came as a leading cleric Sani Yahaya of the Jama'atu Izalatul Bidia organization was addressing a crowd.
Also on Sunday, unidentified gunmen killed at least 32 villagers and set ablaze a number of homes in Nigeria's northwestern state of Zamfa.
Earlier in the day, another bomb explosion in a church in the country's volatile northeastern city of Potiskum in Yobe State claimed the lives of at least five people.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks. However, the Nigerian government usually blames Boko Haram terrorists for such incidents.
Boko Haram, whose name means Western education is forbidden, has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly shooting attacks and bombings in Nigeria since the beginning of its operation in 2009, which have claimed the lives of thousands of people.
The terrorist group says its goal is to overthrow the Nigerian government.
The militants have pledged allegiance to the ISIL Takfiri group, which is primarily operating inside Iraq and Syria.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|