Airstrikes Target Terrorists in Syria, Iraq
Compiled from Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve News Releases
SOUTHWEST ASIA, July 5, 2015 – U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place approximately between 8 a.m. yesterday and 8 a.m. today, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber and fighter aircraft conducted 26 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Al Hasakah, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL vehicles, and four ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Ar Raqqah, 18 airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying three ISIL vehicles and 16 ISIL bridges.
- Near Kobani, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL fighting positons and an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 12 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Bayji, one airstrike struck an ISIL staging area.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL tunnel entrance, an ISIL heavy machine gun and two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike destroying a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device.
- Near Haditha, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL mortar firing position.
- Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck an ISIL mortar firing position, destroying an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun, four ISIL mortar tubes and an ISIL ammo bunker.
- Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL mortar system and an ISIL building.
- Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL cache and an ISIL building.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|