31 July 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 31 Jul 2015 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing with Brigadier General Kevin J. Killea, chief of staff, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve via DVIDS from Southwest Asia on Operation Inherent Resolve DoD 31 Jul 2015 -- Presenters: Marine Corps Brigadier General Kevin J. Killea, chief of staff, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR)
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 31 Jul 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Leadership succession exposes rift in Taliban ranks Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- The announcement of the 2013 death of Taliban's elusive leader Mullah Omar has reportedly exposed divisions within the senior ranks of the Afghan militant group over the new leadership.
- Former Taliban Official Claims Rivals Creating New Leadership Council RFE/RL 31 Jul 2015 -- A former Taliban official says the newly elected leader of the militant group faces significant opposition from within.
- Top Omar Aide Says New Taliban Leader Faced Opposition RFE/RL 31 Jul 2015 -- A close aide to late Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar said the newly elected leader of the militant group faces significant opposition from within.
- US Urges Taliban to Stay With Afghan Peace Talks VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- The United States is calling on the Taliban's new leaders – named Friday to succeed Mullah Omar – to take part in what the U.S. sees as an extremely promising opportunity for 'a genuine peace' and reconciliation between the Taliban and the Kabul government.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Marines Corps declares the F-35B operational USMC News 31 Jul 2015 -- The U.S. Marine Corps' F-35B Lightning II aircraft reached initial operational capability July 31, 2015 with a squadron of 10 F-35Bs ready for world-wide deployment.
- Marines: F-35B Squadron Ready for Worldwide Deployment AFPS 31 Jul 2015 -- The Marine Corps today declared that a squadron of 10 F-35B Lightning II aircraft is ready for worldwide deployment.
- Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall statement on Marine Corps F-35 IOC DoD 31 Jul 2015
- F-35 Program Executive Office statement USMC News 31 Jul 2015
- DoD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2015, Through May 2015 DoD 31 Jul 2015 -- The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2015, through May 2015.
- Advanced Extremely High Frequency system achieves IOC AFNS 31 Jul 2015 -- Gen. John Hyten, the Air Force Space Command commander, declared initial operational capability for the Advanced Extremely High Frequency system July 28.
- AF Special Operations Command receives first AC-130J AFNS 31 Jul 2015 -- The first AC-130J Ghostrider landed here July 29, making it Air Force Special Operations Command's first AC-130J.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the Senate's Confirmation of General Dunford and General Selva DoD 31 Jul 2015
- Navy Installations Go T-LED: Replacement of Fluorescent Bulbs NNS 31 Jul 2015 -- Navy installations are replacing outdated fluorescent bulbs with tubular LED lamps (T-LED) as part of its commitment to energy efficiency across the shore enterprise.
- Newest Joint High Speed Vessel USNS Carson City (JHSV 7) Keel Authenticated NNS 31 Jul 2015 -- The keel of the future USNS Carson City (JHSV 7) was authenticated during a ceremony at the Austal USA shipyard here today.
- Kremlin Aide Says Refund Deal Reached For Undelivered Mistral Warships RFE/RL 31 Jul 2015 -- A top Kremlin aide says Russia and France have reached an agreement on reimbursement for two Mistral warships that Russia purchased for $1.3 billion but whose delivery is on hold to protest Moscow's actions in Ukraine.
- Collapse of Mistral deal to make Russia more pragmatic - lawmaker TASS 31 Jul 2015 -- Scrapping the Mistral warship deal will make Russia be more pragmatic even in relations with its traditional partners, member of the State Duma Defense Committee Franz Klintsevich has told TASS.
- Russia's Answer to NATO: Robotic Cannon and Smart Anti-Torpedo Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- A state-of-the-art artillery system and anti-torpedo complex are being added to Russia's naval arsenal, media reports said Friday.
- Russian airborne troops to build up combat potential to address new threats and challenges TASS 31 Jul 2015 -- New threats and challenges of Russia's security require a buildup of combat potential of the country's airborne troops, Russian Minister of Defense Sergey Shoigu said on Friday.
- New ammunition depots to help Russia's Defense Ministry cut 50,000 personnel TASS 31 Jul 2015 -- The construction of new ammunition depots will allow the Russian Defense Ministry to cut almost 17,000 servicemen and 30,000 civilian personnel, a ministry spokesman said on Friday.
- Russia's New S-300M Drone: The Ultimate Reconnaissance Tool Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Several new advanced drones will soon enter service with the Russian armed forces with the state-of-the-art S300M UAV slated for mass production already next month, Russian media reported.
- NATO Secretary General Statement on Defence Capacity Building Package for Iraq NATO 31 Jul 2015 -- NATO Allies have just agreed on a defence capacity building package for Iraq. It will help strengthen the country's security and defence sector by providing support in areas where NATO is best-placed to add value. This decision, taken today by the North Atlantic Council, underscores NATO's commitment to deepening our partnership with Iraq.
- NATO Decides to Provide Defense Assistance Package to Iraq Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- NATO and Iraqi experts will elaborate training programs to be held in Turkey and Jordan.
- Iraq, Russia Sign Military-Technical Cooperation Agreement Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Iraqi Defense Minister Khaled Obaidi and Director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Alexander Fomin signed an agreement on military-technical cooperation, Iraqi Defense Ministry said.
- China promotes 10 officers to general China Daily 31 Jul 2015 -- China's Central Military Commission (CMC) on Friday promoted 10 senior military and armed police officers to general, the highest rank for officers in active service in China.
- Confirmed: China Building New Aircraft Carrier... Possibly Nuclear Powered Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- China has confirmed that it is building a unique aircraft carrier, and that it may even be nuclear-powered.
- Offset Obligation Dispute Hinders France-India Rafale Deal - Reports Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- India's purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets from France is impeded by disputes over offset requirements.
- India Withdraws Request for 126 Rafale Fighters From France Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- India has withdrawn its request for 126 multirole Rafale fighters from France, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Friday.
- Israel Air Force to Use 3D Print Drones Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Using 3D printed UAVs will help the Israeli Air Force reduce production and repair costs as well as facilitate maintenance procedures.
- Russia: Modernized version of S-300 to be delivered to Iran IRNA 31 Jul 2015 -- Vladimir Kozhin, Russian President Vladimir Putin's aide on military-technical cooperation said that Russia is assembling a more advanced version of its S-300 surface-to-air missile defense system to begin its shipment to Iran by 2016.
- India, Russia to Resume Co-Development of 5th Generation Fighter Jet Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Russia and India will continue their co-development of a fifth-generation fighter plane after signing an experimental design contract, India's defense minister said on Friday.
- Latvia Poised to Buy Stinger Missiles From US Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Riga decided to purchase US Stinger surface-to-air missiles. Negotiations are expected to begin in 2016.
- July 31, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 31 Jul 2015
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest and Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz, 7/31/2015 The White House 31 Jul 2015
- 31 July 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 31 Jul 2015
- Saudi warplanes kill 4 Yemeni civilians in Sa'ada Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- At least four civilians have been killed after Saudi military aircraft carried out a new round of attacks on the northwestern Yemeni province of Sa'ada, local media reports say.
- In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in 'state of fear' - UN expert UN News 31 Jul 2015 -- The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has engaged in widespread and systematic human rights violations of the most serious kinds in Syria and Iraq, brutally forcing some 8 million people to "assimilate, flee or face death," according to a United Nations expert.
- Three killed in suspected Turkey PKK attacks Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- At least three people, including two policemen, have been killed and three others wounded in separate attacks carried out by suspected Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) fighters in Turkey.
- 30 Turkish F-16s bomb PKK camps in northern Iraq Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- At least 30 Turkish military aircraft have bombarded the positions of Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region of Iraq.
- Turkey to Continue Attacks Until PKK Surrenders, ISIL Threat is Eliminated Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Ankara will not stop its attacks until the threats from ISIL and the Kurdistan Workers' Party are eliminated.
- Turkey Disappointed by Negative Iraqi Stance on Airstrikes on PKK Positions Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- Ankara is disappointed by Baghdad's reaction to the Turkish airstrikes against Kurds on the Iraqi territory.
- Al-Nusra raids rival US-trained militants in Syria, kills 11: Group Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- The al-Qaeda-linked Takfiri al-Nusra Front terrorist group in Syria has reportedly waged an attack on the headquarters of a rival, US-trained militant group in the Arab country's northern Aleppo Province, killing at least 11 of the militants.
- Syria army, Hezbollah make major advances in Zabadani Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- The Syrian armed forces backed by fighters of Lebanon's resistance movement Hezbollah have gained more ground on the battlefield against Takfiri militants in the strategic border city of Zabadani.
- Humanitarian situation in Syria's Idlib deteriorating Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- The humanitarian situation is exacerbating in two Shia villages in Syria's northwestern Idlib Province, which remains under a siege by al-Nusra Front terrorists, Press TV reports.
- Pentagon Unaware of Newly Trained Syrian Rebels Capture by Al-Qaeda Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- According to anti-Islamic State coalition official, al-Qaeda did not capture new Syrian fighters trained by the United States.
- Monitor: US-trained Rebels in Syria Attacked VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- The al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front attacked the headquarters of a new U.S.-formed rebel group in northern Syria early Friday, rebel groups and an organization monitoring the war said.
- Shelling by Kiev army kills over 160 in east Ukraine: Donetsk Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- More than 160 people have been killed in shelling attacks by Kiev's forces in the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine over the past six months, pro-Russian officials say.
- Cameroon pays high price for joining Boko Haram fight IRIN 31 Jul 2015 -- A month ago, the main market in the Cameroonian town of Maroua was bustling with traders and buyers. Now it is a place of fear and suspicion, bordering on paranoia.
- Bomb blast hits market in Nigeria's Maiduguri Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- A bomb blast rocks a big market in Nigeria's city of Maiduguri in the northeastern Borno State, amid a string of recent similar attacks targeting the country.
- Obama Pushes For Deal With Iran To Avoid 'Path To War' RFE/RL 31 Jul 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama told supporters on July 30 that Democratic support in Congress for the Iran nuclear deal is 'squishy' and they must work hard to counter an aggressive lobbying campaign against it.
- Iran Deal Backers Urged to Lobby Congress VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama told groups who support the Iran nuclear deal to make their voices heard to Congress to counter the millions of dollars in lobbying by those who want to derail the agreement.
- North Korea Ramps Up Rhetoric In Wake of Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- North Korea is ratcheting up nuclear rhetoric to resist international pressure arising from Iran's nuclear deal.
- S. Korea Slams North for Missionary Arrest VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- South Koreans are defending a Korean-Canadian Christian missionary imprisoned in North Korea who was paraded before cameras this week in Pyongyang where he confessed to participating in "subversive plots."
- WikiLeaks: US Spied on Japan Since 2006 VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- The media whistleblower WikiLeaks has published documents that it says show the United States spied on Japanese officials and companies.
- NSA spied on Japanese PM Shinzo Abe: Wikileaks Press TV 31 Jul 2015 -- The whistleblowers at WikiLeaks have published a trove of documents that reveal a systematic mass surveillance program that the US National Security Agency (NSA) has been conducting against high ranking Japanese politicians.
- NSA Espionage Scandal Erodes Trust in Japan Prime Minister Administration Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- According to a Japanese official, the latest spy scandal can greatly undermine trust in Shinzo Abe's government amid his attempts to boost Japan's ties with the United States.
- U.S. Sanctions Official: Russia 'Will Probe With A Bayonet' RFE/RL 31 Jul 2015 -- A top U.S. diplomat overseeing sanctions policy says punitive economic measures are curtailing Russian 'aggression' and testing Western resolve amid Ukraine's war with Russian-backed separatists.
- Trial Of Russian Army Officer-Turned-Taliban Begins In U.S. RFE/RL 31 Jul 2015 -- A jury was selected July 30 in the case of a Russian military officer charged with leading a Taliban attack on U.S. forces in Afghanistan.
- Thousands of unregistered children born in Liberia during Ebola crisis at risk of exploitation - UNICEF UN News 31 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) warned today that the more than 70,000 Liberian children whose births were not recorded during the Ebola outbreak may be unable to access basic health and social services, obtain identity documents, and risk the danger of being trafficked or illegally adopted.
- WHO: Ebola Vaccine 'Promising' VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- Researchers said an experimental Ebola vaccine has shown to be 'highly effective' at preventing the deadly disease.
- Ebola: UN emergency response mission winds down as WHO announces possible 'game changer' vaccine UN News 31 Jul 2015 -- Having achieved its "core objective" of scaling up global action to tackle the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the United Nations Mission for Ebola Emergency Response will officially wind down today, transferring its role to the World Health Organization (WHO), which just announced that an experimental vaccine being tested in Guinea appears to be highly effective and could be a "game changer."
- Untold Story of Alaska Purchase: Why Did Russia Sell Its Stronghold to US? Sputnik 31 Jul 2015 -- There is still a lot of controversy about Alaska's cession to the United States by Russian Emperor Alexander II; some experts call the treaty in question, suggesting that Alaska may hypothetically be returned to Russia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|