25 July 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 25 Jul 2015 -- Coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan Peace Talks to Resume in Pakistan, Official Says VOA 25 Jul 2015 -- Afghanistan's government and Taliban officials will meet again in Pakistan next week for a second round of peace negotiations aimed at ending the deadly conflict in their strife-torn country, a top Pakistani security official told VOA.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force Secretary Addresses Priorities at Aspen Security Forum AFPS 25 Jul 2015 -- The Air Force secretary yesterday discussed her top national and homeland security issues, as well as current personnel challenges, during a question and answer session with Fox News at the sixth annual, three-day Aspen Security Forum in Colorado.
- Russia Creating Air Force, Air Defense Forces for Northern Fleet Sputnik 25 Jul 2015 -- With the formation of an air force, air defense forces and an extensive surveillance system - Russia is taking its Northern Fleet to a new level.
- Pentagon: New militants start training to fight in Syria, Iraq Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- The Pentagon has begun training a new group of the so-called moderate militants to fight ISIL Takfiri terrorists in Syria and Iraq, a US military official says.
- Carter Praises U.S., Kurdish Efforts in Cinching Lasting ISIL Victory AFPS 25 Jul 2015 -- Following a meeting with Kurdish senior military leaders yesterday, Defense Secretary Ash Carter visited U.S. and coalition troops in Irbil, Iraq, to encourage them and offer insight regarding Kurdish peshmerga fighters and their efforts to thwart Islamic State insurgents.
- Syrian President Assad Amnesties Army Deserters Sputnik 25 Jul 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad issued a decree that grants amnesty on the full penalty for those who have deserted.
- Syrian president grants amnesty to deserters, draft-dodgers Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- The Syrian government has granted a general amnesty to thousands of soldiers who have defected from the army as well as draft-dodgers.
- Moscow Close to Selling Air Defense System Better Than S-300 to Tehran Sputnik 25 Jul 2015 -- By 2016 Russia may sell an even better air defense system than S-300 to Iran, a military source told Sputnik.
- Land sale isn't for Chinese military base, says Maldives People's Daily 25 Jul 2015 -- India has no need to worry about Chinese military expansion under the Maldives' new policy that allows foreigners to buy its land, observers have said, after the islands vowed to keep the Indian Ocean a demilitarized zone.
- Riyadh declares five-day Yemen truce: SPA Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- Riyadh has announced a five-day lull in its deadly military aggression against Yemen, according to the Saudi Press Agency.
- Saudi-led Coalition Declares 5-day Cease-fire to Allow Aid VOA 25 Jul 2015 -- The Saudi-led coalition said it will begin a five-day humanitarian cease-fire in Yemen, which was to take effect one minute before midnight Sunday.
- Kurdish Separatists End Cease-Fire After Turkish Airstrikes VOA 25 Jul 2015 -- The armed wing of the separatist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) announced just hours after Turkish warplanes struck the group's military bases in northern Iraq Friday that it now considers the three-year-long cease-fire agreement with Ankara to be over.
- PKK militant kidnap 15 workers in southern Turkey: Turkish media Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- Militants from the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) have attacked a major construction site in Turkey's southeastern province of Şırnak, kidnapping 15 workers and setting ablaze some machinery there, Turkish media say.
- Turkey Targets IS in Syria, PKK in Iraq VOA 25 Jul 2015 -- Turkish fighter jets hit Islamic State militant camps in Syria and Turkish ground forces struck the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) sites in northern Iraq overnight Saturday.
- Turkey jet fighters hit 7 PKK targets: PM office Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- The office of Turkey's prime minister says seven Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) targets have been struck by Turkish warplanes in northern Iraq.
- Ankara Committed to National Unity Despite Airstrikes on Kurds in Iraq Sputnik 25 Jul 2015 -- Ahmet Davutoglu urged the Kurdistan Workers' Party to lay down their arms and stressed that Turkish authorities will not put up with those 'who abuse the peace process.'
- Turkish Warplanes Strike Kurdish Militant Camps In Northern Iraq RFE/RL 25 Jul 2015 -- Turkish warplanes launched attacks on camps of the militant Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in northern Iraq late July 24, Turkish and PKK sources said.
- ISIL abducts over 180 children in Iraq's Mosul Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- The Takfiri ISIL terrorist group has abducted more than 180 children in the Iraqi city of Mosul over the past few days, an Iraqi Kurdish official says.
- Syria army, Hezbollah fighters advancing in Zabadani Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- Syrian armed forces backed by fighters of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah have made fresh advances in their fight against Takfiri militants to take back control of the strategic border town of Zabadani.
- ISIL Carries Out Attacks in Syrian Kurdish Town Bordering Turkey Sputnik 25 Jul 2015 -- The Islamic State (ISIL) militants attacked the checkpoints of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party's armed wing, located in two mostly Arab inhabited villages of the Tel Abyad town in Syria.
- Turkey Proposes Buffer Zone in ISIL-Free Areas in Northern Syria Sputnik 25 Jul 2015 -- Ankara suggested creating a security zone for refugees in northern Syria. But first of all, that area must be cleared from ISIL militants.
- Ministry: US playing arbitrator People's Daily 25 Jul 2015 -- China accused the United States on Friday of playing the 'arbitrator outside the tribunal' card over disputes in the South China Sea, in response to recent remarks by a top US official that backed the Philippines.
- Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 21 in northeastern Nigeria Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- Suspected Boko Haram Takfiri militants have killed at least 21 people during an attack on a village in northeast of Nigeria, local residents say.
- 'Senseless cycle of violence' in South Sudan must end - UN humanitarian chief UN News 25 Jul 2015 -- Amid massive displacement and "horrendous atrocities," civilians continue to bear the brunt of South Sudan's brutal conflict, the top United Nations relief official underscored today, as he urged all parties, including the leaders of the warring factions, to "listen to their people," lay down their arms and halt the rapidly spiralling humanitarian crisis.
- Ethiopian Opposition Group Threatens Armed Resistance VOA 25 Jul 2015 -- Ethiopia's opposition Ginbot 7 Movement for Unity and Democracy has decided to use armed resistance in addition to peaceful resistance against the government in Addis Ababa. This follows the move of the group's leader from the United States to Eritrea.
- Obama: US, Kenya United Against Terrorism, Al-Shabab VOA 25 Jul 2015 -- President Barack Obama said the United States and Kenya stand united against the threat of terrorism.
- Burundi's opposition leader urges new election Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- Burundi's main opposition leader Agathon Rwasa has called for a new election following incumbent President Pierre Nkurunziza's victory in the recent presidential vote for a third consecutive term.
- Iran never agrees with inspection of military sites ISNA 25 Jul 2015 -- An Iranian official said that the country would not allow inspection of its military sites.
- Zarif dismisses Kerry's remarks at Senate hearing Press TV 25 Jul 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has dismissed recent remarks made by his US counterpart John Kerry as "incomplete hints" about some issues raised at the latest nuclear negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries.
- Russia Bars Protest Leader Navalny's Party From Poll RFE/RL 25 Jul 2015 -- Russian authorities have barred a coalition co-led by top opposition activist Aleksei Navalny from participating in a major regional poll, the party says on its website.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|