20 July 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 20 Jul 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue in Iraq, Syria AFPS 20 Jul 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Accidental US Airstrike Kills 7 Afghan soldiers VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- Authorities in southeastern Afghanistan say NATO attack helicopters bombed a security outpost early Monday, killing at least seven Afghan soldiers and wounding five others.
- 10 Afghan soldiers killed in US airstrike Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- A US airstrike in Afghanistan has targeted an army checkpoint manned by Afghan soldiers in the country's central Logar Province, killing at least 10 service members.
- Afghan troops kill 56 militants Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- Afghan security forces have killed nearly 56 militants, including ISIL-linked elements, in their latest military operations across Afghanistan, the country's Defense Ministry says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Carter and Minister of Defense Ya'alon in Tel Aviv, Israel DoD 20 Jul 2015 -- Presenters: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon
- US Defense Chief in Israel to Discuss Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- U.S. defense chief Ash Carter said Monday that Israel is 'the bedrock of American strategy' in the Mideast, opening a trip to the region aimed at strengthening U.S. links with allies that are wary of the new internationally negotiated Iranian nuclear accord.
- Pentagon chief: Iran agreement doesn't 'prevent military option' Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter says the nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries does not prevent Washington from using military force against Iran if it deems a military option necessary.
- Secretary of the Navy Names Littoral Combat Ship DoD 20 Jul 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced today that the next Independence variant littoral combat ship will be named USS Kansas City (LCS 22).
- US, Bulgarian forces synchronize training to strengthen future AFNS 20 Jul 2015 -- Airmen from Ramstein Air Base, Germany, went wheels up for a bilateral training exercise with the Bulgarian air force, July 14-24.
- USNS Spearhead Arrives in Honduras NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- USNS Spearhead (JHSV 1), operated by the Military Sealift Command, arrived in Honduras, for its first mission stop during Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15), July 11.
- Science and Technology Help Navy Prepare for Future Arctic Operations NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- On July 14, Chief of Naval Research Rear Adm. Mat Winter was the Navy keynote speaker at the Sixth Symposium on the Impacts of an Ice-Diminishing Arctic on Maritime and Naval Operations.
- USS North Dakota Completes Groundbreaking Mission NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The USS North Dakota (SSN 784) returned to its homeport at U.S. Naval Submarine Base, New London, Conn., July 20 after conducting groundbreaking operations in the Mediterranean Sea.
- USS Kauffman Conducts Exchange With Ecuador NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The guided-missile frigate USS Kauffman (FFG 59) conducted a detainee and evidence exchange with Ecuadorian government representatives off the northern coast of the Galapagos Islands, June 13.
- USNS Impeccable Rescues Distressed Fishermen NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command Impeccable-class ocean surveillance ship USNS Impeccable (T-AGOS 23) rescued 11 fishermen while in route to Subic Bay, Philippines July 19.
- CSG-4 Kicks Off COMPTUEX for Kearsarge ARG, 26th MEU NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- Propellers beat through the air on the flight deck aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) as Marines embark and Sailors coordinate movement with others ships along the seascape.
- Carrier Air Wing 5, Air Force specialists Conduct CSAR Training with RAAF NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, embarked aboard the aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73), the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and U.S. Air Force survival, evasion, resistance and escape specialists participated in a combat search and rescue (CSAR) training exercise at Mount Bundey range training complex as part of exercise Talisman Sabre 2015 (TS15), July 15.
- George Washington Carrier Strike Group Strengthens Alliance with Australia, New Zealand during Talisman Sabre NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The George Washington Carrier Strike Group (GWCSG) concluded its participation in exercise Talisman Sabre 2015 (TS15), July 18.
- Bonhomme Richard ESG Completes Talisman Sabre 2015 NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- After two weeks of dynamic maneuvering schemes and elevated command and control, USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6), flagship to Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) 7 commanded by Rear Adm. Hugh D. Wetherald, completed Exercise Talisman Sabre July 18.
- Arlington Begins COMPTUEX NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) departed Norfolk to begin composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) July 15 as part of the Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (ARG).
- Preble, Fitzgerald Enjoy Australian Culture In Darwin NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Preble (DDG 88) and USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) arrived in Darwin, Australia, for a port visit, July 20 after successfully completing Talisman Sabre 2015 (TS15).
- USS Mustin Joins Forces with New Zealand During Talisman Sabre NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Mustin (DDG 89) participated in a surface-action-group versus surface-action-group (SAG vs SAG) exercise with the Royal New Zealand Navy Anzac-class Frigate HMNZS Te Kaha (F 77) during exercise Talisman Sabre 2015 (TS 15), July 12-17.
- Fitzgerald's ADEX Improves Readiness During Talisman Sabre 2015 NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) participated in an air defense exercise (ADEX) July 16 during exercise Talisman Sabre 2015 (TS 15).
- Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group Begins COMPTUEX NNS 20 Jul 2015 -- Sailors from the Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (KSGARG) and Marines assigned to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) departed Norfolk, to participate in composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) off the East Coast of the United States, July 16.
- Platinum Lion 15-3 comes to a close USMC News 20Jul 2015 -- Marines and sailors with 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, Black Sea Rotational Force spent two weeks alongside soldiers from Bulgaria, Albania, United Kingdom and Romania during Platinum Lion 15-3, a multi-national NATO training exercise at Novo Selo Training Area, Bulgaria.
- China slams US over South China Sea surveillance flight Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- China has censured the United States for a surveillance flight over the disputed waters of the South China Sea, urging Washington to avoid taking sides over the territorial row in the region.
- China's defense minister calls for strengthened coastal defense People's Daily 20 Jul 2015 -- China's Defense Minister Chang Wanquan said on Sunday that efforts should be made to boost development of the nation's coastal defense.
- Thai's plan of buying Chinese submarines unchanged People's Daily 20 Jul 2015 -- Thai navy has not changed their plan on the purchase of 3 Chinese submarines, according to Thai media Sing Sian Daily.
- US, Ukraine to Hold Observation Flights Over Russia Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Ukraine will hold observation flights over Russia as part of the Treaty on Open Skies.
- Russia's Eastern Military District gets brigade set of Iskander tactical missile systems TASS 20 Jul 2015 -- A missile formation of Russia's Eastern Military District covering the Trans-Baikal Territory in East Siberia and the Russian Far East has received a brigade set of Iskander tactical missile systems, the District's spokesman, Col. Alexander Gordeyev said on Monday.
- Pentagon Alarmed With Russia's Military Satellite 'Maneuvering Too Much' Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- The maneuverability of Russia's Cosmos-2504 military satellite launched on March 31 from the Plesetsk test site has alarmed the US Air Force, which thinks it may potentially be an "on-orbit anti-satellite weapon."
- Russia to Hold Observation Flights Over Baltics, Land Inspection in Latvia Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- Russia's observation aircraft will fly over Latvian and Lithuanian territories, while Russian inspectors will visit portions of Latvian territory as part of mutual agreements.
- Russian 'Hoodlum' Heads to India: 200 Helicopter Deal Bolsters Defense Ties Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- Russia and India have reportedly signed a deal to jointly manufacture 200 military helicopters as part of an ongoing plan to intensify strategic relations between the two BRICS states.
- Rapid Trident: US Troops Kick Off Military Training Camp in Ukraine Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- The ongoing tension between the West and Russia is set to continue as US forces kicked off widespread military exercises in Ukraine, seen by many as a highly provocative gesture aimed at Moscow.
- NATO Drills in Ukraine Threaten Peace Settlement - Russian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- US-led NATO-Ukraine joint drills, which kicked off on July 20 in the Lviv region, clearly demonstrate the Alliance's provocative course on unconditional support of Kiev regime's policies in the south-east of Ukraine, according to the Russian Foreign Ministry.
- NATO drills in Ukraine threaten peace settlement in the country - Russian foreign ministry TASS 20 Jul 2015 -- NATO's and Ukraine's joint military drills demonstrate the alliance's provocative course of supporting Kiev and fuel revanchist sentiment of the Kiev 'party of war,' the Russian foreign ministry said on Monday.
- Multinational Exercises Start in W. Ukraine VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- A military exercise involving Ukrainian and U.S. forces, along with troops from more than a dozen other countries, opened Monday in western Ukraine, as fighting between government troops and Russia-backed rebels escalated in eastern Ukraine, despite a cease-fire.
- Egypt takes delivery of first batch of French Rafale warplanes Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- France has delivered the first batch of twin-engine and multirole Dassault Rafale fighter aircraft to the military-backed government in Egypt.
- Burkina president dismisses security minister Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- Burkina Faso's interim president has sacked his security minister, in a move widely seen as submission to mounting pressure by the West African nation's powerful military establishment.
- Aging Philippines Military as Far From Upgrade as Ever Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- The Philippines' defense modernization program has fallen short of the country's military officials' expectations.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 7/20/15 The White House 20 Jul 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for July 20, 2015
- Lockheed Martin to Acquire Sikorsky Aircraft and Conduct Strategic Review of IT and Technical Services Businesses Lockheed Martin 20 Jul 2015 -- Lockheed Martin has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Sikorsky Aircraft, a world leader in military and commercial rotary-wing aircraft, for $9.0 billion. The price is effectively reduced to approximately $7.1 billion, after taking into account tax benefits resulting from the transaction.
- 20 July 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Jul 2015
- Fresh Saudi airstrikes claim 15 lives in Yemen Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- At least 15 Yemeni civilians have lost their lives in the latest Saudi airstrikes as the Arab kingdom continues military aggression against its impoverished southern neighbor.
- 45 people killed in fighting in Yemen's Aden People's Daily 20 Jul 2015 -- Deadly battles broke out on Sunday between the Shiite Houthi group and Gulf-backed fighters in Yemen's southern port city of Aden, in which 45 people were killed and about 170 others wounded, health officials said, two days after the exiled government announced 'liberation' of the city.
- Iraq: funding shortage forces UN to shutter critical water and sanitation responses UN News 20 Jul 2015 -- With more than 74,000 new people displaced by fighting on the move in Iraq, the United Nations humanitarian wing has warned that overall, some 40 per cent of critically needed life-saving water and sanitation programmes will be forced to shut down by the end of the month due to lack of funding.
- 28 Dead in Blast Near Turkey's Border With Syria VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- Student activists from towns across Turkey who had traveled to the border town of Suruc were waving banners and chanting their support for Syria's Kurds when a blast struck Monday, killing at least 28 and wounding more than 100.
- War crimes trial for former Chadian leader 'a milestone for justice in Africa' - UN rights chief UN News 20 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, welcomed the opening today of the trial of Hissène Habré, the former President of Chad – who is accused of crimes against humanity – before a special court in Senegal, calling it "a milestone for justice in Africa."
- Senegal Court Puts Former Chad Leader Habre on Trial VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- A special court in Senegal began a long-awaited trial Monday against former Chadian ruler Hissene Habre on charges of torture, war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Nigerien army kills over 30 Boko Haram militants Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- The Nigerien army has killed over 30 Boko Haram Takfiri militants during a recent massive security operation in a troubled region of the Western Africa country, military sources say.
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire in Kashmir Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- A series of fierce clashes has erupted between Indian and Pakistani soldiers along the de facto border dividing the disputed region of Kashmir.
- UN Mission condemns surge in armed attacks on main supply route in Central African Republic UN News 20 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations peacekeeping operation in the Central African Republic (CAR) today condemned a recent series of armed attacks perpetrated by rebel elements.
- Senior UN official on refugee protection urges more support to Myanmar's Rakhine state UN News 20 Jul 2015 -- Wrapping up a five-day mission to Myanmar, Volker Türk, Assistant High Commissioner for Protection in the United Nations refugee agency called for more concerted support to resolve the plight of displaced people and those with undetermined citizenship in the country.
- US, Cuba Re-Set Ties, Focus on Unsettled Issues VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- As onlookers chanted "Viva Cuba, Viva Fidel," the Cuban flag was hoisted outside of the country's newly established embassy in Washington on Monday.
- US, Cuba Re-establish Full Diplomatic Ties VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba restored full diplomatic relations just after 12 a.m. Monday after more than five decades of hostility.
- US, Cuba formally restore relations, reopen embassies Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba formally resume diplomatic ties and reopen their embassies, marking a new beginning after 54 years of strained relations.
- US, Cuba to Officially Open Embassies, Restoring Diplomatic Relations Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba will officially reestablish diplomatic ties on Monday.
- UN Security Council Approves Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- The U.N. Security Council unanimously approved the Iran nuclear deal Monday, clearing a path to lift crippling economic sanctions against Tehran while restraining it its nuclear development program.
- Security Council adopts resolution endorsing Iran nuclear deal UN News 20 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council today unanimously adopted a resolution establishing a monitoring system for Iran's nuclear programme and considering the "eventual removal" of all nuclear-related sanctions against the country.
- Iran statement following UNSC Resolution 2231 endorsing JCPOA IRNA 20 Jul 2015 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran issued a statement on Monday following the Adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 2231 endorsing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran military, security secrets off-limits: Defense minister Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- The Iranian defense minister has ruled out any access to the country's military sites and information by foreign parties.
- Iran missiles outside scope of UNSC resolution, Foreign Ministry says Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry says UN Security Council Resolution 2231 does not cover the Islamic Republic's military capabilities including its ballistic missiles.
- Sanctions, threats of war cannot uphold NPT: Iran's UN envoy Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- Iran's Ambassador to the UN Gholam Ali Khoshrou says sanctions and threats of military aggression cannot uphold the Treaty on the Non-proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
- S. Korean Firms Call for Resolution of Kaesong Wage Dispute VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- A representative of South Korean firms with factories at the Kaesong Industrial Complex has called for a prompt resolution to the ongoing wage dispute between North and South Korea.
- Obama Hosts Nigeria's Buhari VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama met with Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari at the White House Monday and offered U.S. support in the fight against Boko Haram militants.
- Myanmar military 'to respect outcome of parliamentary elections' Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- The commander-in-chief of Myanmar's Armed Forces says he would respect the outcome of upcoming elections in the country in an attempt to allay potential fears of meddling by the military to sway the vote.
- Ling Jihua Expelled from CPC, to Face Justice People's Daily 20 Jul 2015 -- Ling Jihua has been expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC) and removed from public office, according to a decision made at a meeting of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee on Monday.
- UN agency calls for $20 million to halt spread of 'highly virulent' avian flu in West Africa UN News 20 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today warned that without timely intervention "to stop it in its tracks," outbreaks of the highly virulent avian flu virus H5N1, which has already spread to five West African countries in six months, will spread across the region and beyond.
- US, Turkey Working to Overcome Strains VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- Disagreements over Syria policies have strained relations between allies Turkey and the United States.
- WikiLeaks Announces Release of New Spy Documents on Germany Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- WikiLeaks announced the release of top secret documents related to Germany.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|