12 July 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue in Iraq, Syria AFPS 12 Jul 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan forces kill 61 Taliban militants during cleanup operations Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Afghan forces have killed more than 60 Taliban militants and wounded over two dozen others during various clean-up operations across the war-stricken country over the past 24 hours, Press TV reports.
- 7 killed, 13 wounded in two bomb blasts in Afghanistan Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- At least seven people have been killed and 13 others injured in two separate bomb explosions in Afghanistan, officials say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US service members build small-boat skills with Senegalese USMC News 12 Jul 2015 -- More than 20 U.S. Marines, sailors and coast guardsmen with Special-Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response-Africa taught and trained more than 30 Compagnie Fusilier de Marin Commandos small-boat operations and maintenance in St. Louis, Senegal, June 29-July 3, 2015.
- VMGR-352, 1st Radio Battalion conduct parachute drop USMC News 12 Jul 2015 -- Marines with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron (VMGR) 352 supported 1st Radio Battalion, I Marine Expeditionary Force, in a low-level static line parachute drop exercise at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, July 8.
- One more PLA Senior Officer busted, total now at 38 People's Daily 12 Jul 2015 -- PLA disciplinary inspectors on Friday said they are investigating Deng Ruihua, former political commissar of the joint logistics department of Lanzhou Military Area Command, for alleged 'serious violations of discipline and laws.'
- Saudi Arabia keeps bombarding Yemen despite ceasefire Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has targeted several areas across Yemen in flagrant violation of a UN-sponsored ceasefire, injuring a large number of people.
- Sides in Yemen Trade Blame Over Truce Breaches VOA 12 Jul 2015 -- Yemen's Houthi rebels and the internationally-recognized government of President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi are accusing each other of violating a U.N.-sponsored humanitarian truce.
- Syrian forces kill 63 Takfiri terrorists in Idlib Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Syrian troops have killed at least 63 Takfiri terrorists during clashes in Jisr al-Shughour city in the northern Idlib Province.
- Syria, Hezbollah forces clear areas in Zabadani of terrorists Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Syrian government forces and the fighters belonging to Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah, have cleared new areas in the city of Zabadani in the border region of Qalamoun of Takfiri terrorists.
- EU hails UN Libya deal as move toward stability Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- European states have welcomed a UN-sponsored peace accord signed by a number of Libyan factions, except the main opposition group, as a step toward reestablishing stability in the divided North African country.
- Libya parties sign power-sharing agreement Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Several political parties from Libya have agreed on a framework for a power-sharing deal, which, however, has not been backed by one of the major warring parties in the North African country.
- Libya: UN welcomes new political agreement as 'first step' towards peace UN News 12 Jul 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced encouragement at the initialing of a critical agreement between Libyan stakeholders aimed at resolving the country's political crisis, a United Nations spokesperson confirmed today.
- South Korea fires warning shots at 'intruding' soldiers from North Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- South Korea says its troops have fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers as the latter briefly crossed into the heavily-armed buffer zone that separates the two neighbors.
- Fighting in eastern Ukraine leaves 2 soldiers dead Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Kiev says two of its soldiers have been killed and five others wounded in heavy fighting in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia sends humanitarian convoy to Ukraine's Donbass Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Russia is preparing to send its 32nd aid convoy to Ukraine's east, where ongoing clashes between Kiev's troops and pro-Russia forces have created a humanitarian crisis.
- Egypt kills over 250 militants in 10 days: Military Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Egyptian forces have killed over 250 Takfiri militants over the past 10 days in the country's violence-plagued Sinai Peninsula, according to the country's military sources.
- Four killed in Boko Haram prison attack in Niger Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- At least one soldier and three Boko Haram Takfiri militants have been killed during a shootout after the militant group raided a prison in southeastern Niger.
- PKK pledges to respond to Turkey's violation of ceasefire Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- The Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) has slammed Turkey for breaching a ceasefire with the group, saying it will respond to Ankara's violation.
- UN chief condemns deadly suicide bombing in Chad UN News 12 Jul 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has strongly condemned yesterday's deadly terrorist attack in the Chadian capital of N'Djamena, a spokesperson for the Organization said today.
- Iran Nuclear Talks Approach 4th Deadline VOA 12 Jul 2015 -- Another meeting-packed day for nuclear negotiators in Vienna has pushed the Iran talks to the final hours ahead of a July 13 deadline.
- Zarif: No Nuclear Deal On July 12 RFE/RL 12 Jul 2015 -- Reuters news agency cited Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif as saying that here will be no announcement of a deal with global powers on Tehran's nuclear program on July 12.
- President Rouhani: Iran, world powers very close to final deal IRNA 12 Jul 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani voiced his gratitude in the recent breakthroughs in Iran-world powers nuclear talks.
- Rouhani gives executive order to safeguard nuclear rights IRNA 12 Jul 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday gave executive order to Foreign Ministry and the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran to enforce the Law Mandating Government to Safeguard the Nuclear Rights and Achievements.
- Rouhani insists on Iran's national interests in nuclear talks ISNA 12 Jul 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said the nuclear talks with the G5+1 countries prove Iran favors reasoning and interaction regardless of the outcome of the negotiations.
- Tehran Demands Lifting of Sanctions on Day of Signing Nuclear Deal Sputnik 12 Jul 2015 -- A full lifting of sanctions must be written in the texts of possible Iran's agreements with the P5+1 and must be observed on the very same day that Tehran begins fulfilling its obligations, according to the legislation passed by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.
- China Says Uyghurs Deported By Thailand Were To Join IS RFE/RL 12 Jul 2015 -- China's official news agency says 109 ethnic Uyghurs that were deported from Thailand to China had been on their way to Turkey, Syria, or Iraq to join the Islamic State militant group.
- China Defends Return of Uighurs from Thailand VOA 12 Jul 2015 -- China says 109 ethnic Uighurs who were deported from Thailand last week were heading to Turkey, Syria or Iraq to join Islamic militants.
- Europe Struggling to Reach Greece Bailout Deal VOA 12 Jul 2015 -- Skeptical European leaders struggled on Sunday to reach an accord with debt-wracked Greece over its latest austerity plan, voicing doubts that Athens would live up to its promises to cut spending and increase taxes.
- Eurozone Nations Call On Greece To Restore Trust RFE/RL 12 Jul 2015 -- Eurozone officials say Greece must restore trust by putting reforms in place quickly to set the stage for talks on a new financial rescue package that would keep the nearly bankrupt country within the single-currency area.
- Mexico's top drug lord escapes again from maximum security prison Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Mexico's imprisoned top drug lord, Joaquin Guzman, has escaped from a maximum security prison in the country, making it the second time he breaks out of jail, despite Mexican authorities' vows that it would never happen again following his 2014 rearrest.
- Tunisia says it kills senior leader of group linked to al-Qaeda Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- Tunisian authorities say a senior leader of a group said to be affiliated to al-Qaeda militant group in the North African country was among a group of people killed earlier during an operation by security forces.
- Right Sector Receives Order to 'Shoot to Kill' Ukrainian Police - Media Sputnik 12 Jul 2015 -- Right Sector head Dmytro Yarosh has arrived to the western Ukrainian city where a standoff between the group and Ukrainian police is becoming increasingly tense.
- Right Sector Threatens Bringing Fighters Into Kiev After Deadly Standoff Sputnik 12 Jul 2015 -- Following the deadly standoff in Western Ukraine's Mukachevo, Right Sector's spokesman threatened to bring fighters to Kiev while the country's security forces say that they do not intend to negotiate.
- Right Sector Leader Calls for Protests Until Interior Minister Resigns Sputnik 12 Jul 2015 -- The leader of Ukraine's ultranationalist Right Sector movement has called on his fighters to continue protests and political actions across Ukraine until those responsible in the deadly shootout in the Ukrainian town of Mukachevo are arrested and the country's Interior Minister Arsen Avakov steps down.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|