04 July 2015 Military News
- Terrorists Hit by Continued Airstrikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Jul 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Senator McCain in Kabul, Asks US Bases Remain VOA 04 Jul 2015 -- Spending the American Fourth of July holiday weekend with the U.S. troops in Afghanistan has become an annual ritual for John McCain.
Defense Policy / Programs
- B-52s demonstrate strategic reach AFNS 04 Jul 2015 -- Two B-52 Stratofortresses assigned to the 2nd Bomb Wing at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana, returned July 2 from a 44-hour, nonstop mission to Australia.
- Afghan lawmakers reject 2nd defense minister nominee Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- The Afghan parliament has voted down President Ashraf Ghani's second nominee for minister of defense, leaving the key position vacant after nine months as Taliban militants are pushing ahead with their attacks across the war-torn country.
- Swedish Fighter Jets Scramble to Intercept Russian Tu-22 Over the Baltic Sputnik 04 Jul 2015 -- Over the past few months, several NATO members have expressed concern over Russia's alleged violations of their airspace.
- PLA holds military drill in HK, locals invited to observe People's Daily 04 Jul 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army(PLA) Hong Kong Garrison started a live-fire exercise in Hong Kong suburb on Saturday, the first of its kind since 1997 that local residents have been invited to observe.
- China launches military exercises in Yellow Sea Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- China's army has kicked off "unprecedented" air and sea drills in the Yellow Sea, between the Korean Peninsula and China, a report says.
- Iran's IRGC launches 2nd Qadir radar system Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has launched a long-range radar system in the southwest of the country to enhance its air defense capabilities.
- IRGC's Ghadir radar deployed in Southern Iran IRNA 04 Jul 2015 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) deployed its Ghadir phased-array radar system with a range of 1,100 kilometers in Southern Iran on Saturday.
- Russia to supply Saudis with Iskander missile complexes Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- Russia has announced its readiness to provide Saudi Arabia with Iskander tactical missile systems, a Russian official says.
- United Shipbuilding Corporation loses no foreign clients over sanctions TASS 04 Jul 2015 -- Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) has lost no foreign clients over sanctions, USC Military-Technical Cooperation Department Director Alexey Dikiy said Saturday at the International Maritime Defense Show (IMDS) in St. Petersburg.
- New Saudi aerial attacks kill dozens across Yemen Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- A series of new aerial attacks conducted by Saudi Arabia against Yemen have claimed the lives of more than two dozen people across the impoverished country.
- 34 killed in new Saudi air raids on Yemen Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- The latest airstrikes conducted by Saudi Arabia against Yemen have claimed the lives of 34 people and left dozens injured in several parts across the impoverished Arabian Peninsula country.
- Syria, Hezbollah tighten siege on militants in Zabadani Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- Syrian armed forces and the fighters of Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah have made new gains in the border region of Qalamoun, tightening their siege on the militants operating in and around the town of Zabadani.
- Syria air raids kill over 100 ISIL terrorists in Aleppo Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- Syrian fighter jets have pounded militant positions in the northwestern city of Aleppo, killing more than 100 ISIL militants, local media reports say.
- Boko Haram kill 200 people in Nigeria in two days Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- Boko Haram Takfiri terrorists have killed nearly 200 people in fresh attacks on homes and mosques in Nigeria in two days, reports say.
- Boko Haram kills scores in northeast Nigeria Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- Takfiri Boko Haram terrorists have killed scores of people in what the Nigerian president has described as "most inhuman and barbaric" attacks.
- In Cameroon, Hollande Urges Aid for Fight Against Boko Haram VOA 04 Jul 2015 -- French President Francoise Hollande wrapped up talks in Cameroon late Friday on the fight against terrorism, calling for more international support in the fight against Boko Haram in Cameroon, Nigeria, Chad and Niger.
- Russia warns of sabotage of Minsk agreements, peace progress in Ukraine People's Daily 04 Jul 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday warned that the Minsk agreements should not be violated by any country, nor should the peace progress in Ukraine be undermined.
- Leader: Other motives behind West's sanctions on Iran IRNA 04 Jul 2015 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei underlined that the sanctions imposed against Iran have nothing to do with Tehran's nuclear activities or human rights record, and said that there surely other motives behind the bans.
- G5+1 has to decide between agreement with Iran or coercion against it: Zarif ISNA 04 Jul 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran's negotiating partners have to make a choice between agreement with the Islamic Republic or coercion against it.
- Iran Nuclear Negotiations Enter Critical Point VOA 04 Jul 2015 -- Negotiations on Iran's nuclear program will reach a critical point Sunday as officials have reported progress on two key areas in dispute: the pace of sanctions relief and the inspection of Iran's nuclear and military facilities.
- Russia Escapes Downgrade But Fitch Says Worsening Tensions Hurt Economy RFE/RL 04 Jul 2015 -- Fitch Ratings agency maintained its relatively high rating for Russia on July 3 but said worsening tensions with the West darken the outlook for its economy.
- Report: U.S. Government May Seize Russian Property In Yukos Case RFE/RL 04 Jul 2015 -- Russian government property in the United States could be seized after former shareholders of the Yukos oil company sought recognition of a multibillion dollar compensation award in U.S. courts, London's Daily Telegraph reported on July 3.
- Putin: US-Russian Relations Key for Solving Global Crises VOA 04 Jul 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said relations between Moscow and Washington remain the most important factor in ensuring stability and security in the world.
- Tunisian president declares state of emergency Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- The Tunisian government has declared a state of emergency just over a week after a deadly terrorist attack near the country's coastal city of Sousse claimed the lives of dozens of people, mostly foreign tourists.
- NSA spied on Brazilian president: WikiLeaks documents Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- The US National Security Agency (NSA) has snooped on several key Brazilian government officials, including President Dilma Rousseff, new WikiLeaks documents show.
- CIA spied on German press: Report Press TV 04 Jul 2015 -- The US government was eavesdropping not only on German Chancellor Angela Merkel and her cabinet, but also on Germany's free press under the cover of US national security, according to a new report.
- Greeks Closely Divided Over Bailout Deal At Campaigns' Close RFE/RL 04 Jul 2015 -- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has accused international creditors of 'terrorism' one day before a national vote in Greece that could decide if the country stays in the eurozone.
- Armenian Protesters Issue New Deadline To Authorities RFE/RL 04 Jul 2015 -- Protesters in the Armenian capital, Yerevan, campaigning against electricity price hikes have issued new demands to authorities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|