Bomb targets convoy of foreign forces in Kabul, 1 killed
Iran Press TV
Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:10AM
At least one person has been killed after an explosives-laden vehicle targeted a convoy of foreign forces in the Afghan capital, Kabul.
At least 21 people, including women and children, were also hurt in Tuesday's deadly attack which took place on the main road to Kabul airport, around 500 meters (550 yards) from the US embassy.
Afghanistan's Foreign Ministry confirmed the attack with Sediq Sediqqi, a ministry spokesman, saying, "It was a suicide car bomber targeting a convoy of foreign forces in Kabul."
In a separate but similar incident on the same day, at least two civilians lost their lives after an explosives-laden vehicle was detonated at the entrance of the police headquarters in Lashkar Gah, the capital of the volatile province of Helmand.
Provincial police spokesman Farid Ahmad Obaid said that at least 40 people sustained injuries in the attack.
Provincial police chief Nabi Jan Mullahkhil said, "Two attackers were killed in the explosion while the third one was injured and as he tried to escape the police shot him."
No group or individual has so far claimed responsibility for the deadly blasts which came less than two days after a Taliban ambush in the western province of Herat killed 11 soldiers.
Afghanistan has been the scene of violence since 2001, when the US and its allies invaded the country as part of Washington's so-called war on terror.
The US-led military alliance in Afghanistan officially ended its combat mission on December 31, 2014. Insecurity still persists in the war-torn country despite the presence of at least 13,500 foreign troops.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|