26 June 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 26 Jun 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Aircraft Strike ISIL Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban overrun Waygal district in E Afghanistan Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- Taliban militants in Afghanistan have gained control over a restive district in the country's eastern province of Nuristan, local reports say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at a Troop Event in Grafenwoehr, Germany DoD 26 Jun 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Joint Press Briefing by Under Secretary of Defense Frank Kendall and SBA Administrator Maria Contreras-Sweet to announce the 2014 Small Business Federal Procurement Scorecard in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 26 Jun 2015 -- Presenters: Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall; Maria Contreras-Sweet, Administrator, Small Business Administration; and Senior DoD and SBA Officials
- USNS Mercy Arrives in Arawa for Pacific Partnership NNS 26 Jun 2015 -- The hospital ship USNS Mercy ship (T-AH 19) arrived in Arawa, the Autonomous Region of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea, today for its second mission stop of Pacific Partnership 2015.
- Pacific Partnership Celebrates Arrival in Micronesia with Ceremony, Reception NNS 26 Jun 2015 -- Task Force Forager, embarked aboard the Military Sealift Command joint high speed vessel USNS Millinocket (JHSV 3), kicked off its second visit of Pacific Partnership June 22 with an opening ceremony and reception onboard the ship.
- Carrier Strike Group 8 Destroyers Conduct Missile Firing Exercise NNS 26 Jun 2015 -- Four Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers of Destroyer Squadron 28 conducted an integrated missile firing exercise (MISSILEX) in the Virginia Capes, June 5.
- Russia's 'Saber-Rattling' Confirms Need to Upgrade US Nuclear Forces - DoD Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- Russian nuclear threats had backfired, but they underlined the need for the United States to push ahead with its nuclear modernization program, US Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work told the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday.
- US Must Fund Urgent $270Bln Nuclear Weapons Upgrade Plan - DoD Official Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- According to US Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work, the US necessary modernization of the US nuclear deterrent force will cost $18 billion a year from 2021 through 2035.
- US Space Command Warns Not to Phase Out Russian Rocket Engine Too Quickly Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- Commander of US Air Force Space Command General John Hyten said that Guaranteeing US access to space requires the continued purchase and use of Russia's RD-180 rocket engine.
- Estonian Defense Chief: NATO Must 'Neutralize' Putin's Perceived Advantage RFE/RL 26 Jun 2015 -- Estonia's defense chief has welcomed the U.S. decision to preposition military equipment in the Baltics and other countries on the eastern edge of the alliance, saying that a strong presence is required to diminish the potential threat of a Russian attack.
- NATO Allies and Partners and the donors' community committed to continue supporting the financial sustainment of the Afghan Security Forces NATO 26 Jun 2015 -- NATO Allies and Partners and representatives of the donors' community met today (Friday, 26 June 2015) in a plenary meeting of the Afghan National Army Trust Fund Board, to renew their commitment to the continued support of the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces.
- Russian Military Deny Violation of Estonian Airspace by An-26 Plane Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- A Russian Antonov An-26 military transport plane did not violate Estonian airspace while carrying out a planned flight from Russia's exclave of Kalinigrad to St. Petersburg on June 22, the Russian Defense Ministry said Friday.
- Russian Army to Get New Electronic Warfare Drones by Year-End Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- According to Eastern Military District spokesman, district will receive the latest unmanned aerial vehicles designed for electronic warfare by the end of this year.
- Russian Strategic Sub Groups to 'Be Constantly Updated' - Navy Commander Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- According to Russian Navy Commander-in-Chief, Russian nuclear strategic submarine groups in the north of the country and on the far-eastern Kamchatka Peninsula will be regularly updated.
- Modern Warfare: Russia's T-15, Armata Tank's Younger Brother Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- The brand-new Russian T-15 heavy infantry combat vehicle, based on the Armata Universal Combat Platform, is destined to play a decisive role in modern warfare, according to the Russian television network Zvezda.
- Russia Unveils Its 'Hell Machine' - New Generation Mine Layer Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- The International Military-Technical Forum ARMY-2015, which has recently wrapped up in the Moscow Region, continues to surprise armament aficionados as many of the weapons on offer have been revealed to the general public: one such piece of military equipment which was unveiled at its showground is Russia's new multipurpose mine-laying vehicle.
- Prototype of Russia's new heavy ballistic missile delayed for several months - source TASS 26 Jun 2015 -- A prototype of the Sarmat heavy intercontinental ballistic missile will be built no earlier than in October, and not June as was planned earlier, a source in the military-industrial complex told TASS on Friday.
- Thailand to Upgrade Fleet, Chooses Chinese to Provide Three Submarines Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- Thailand reportedly plans to buy three Chinese-made submarines for the Royal Thai Navy at a cost of 355 million dollars each.
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz en route Charleston, SC, 6/26/2015 The White House 26 Jun 2015
- June 26, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 26 Jun 2015
- 26 June 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Jun 2015
- Syria: UN special envoy continues consultations on ways to end an escalating conflict UN News 26 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, continues his talks with the parties to the conflict in this country within the framework of the Geneva consultations, having yesterday met with leaders of the Syrian tribes, according to a UN spokesperson.
- Conflict displaces 60k in Syria's Hasakah: UN Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- An estimated 60,000 people have been displaced in the wake of fierce clashes between Syrian government forces and terrorist groups in the northern city of Hasakah, according to the United Nations.
- ISIL Takfiris kill 146 Kobani civilians in single day: Report Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- ISIL Takfiris have reportedly killed more than 140 civilians since re-entering the Syrian border town of Kobani on Thursday.
- ISIL Fighters Execute 146 Civilians in Kobani, Kurdish Forces Reclaim City Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- Kurdish YPG self-defense militia are reported to have launched attacks against Islamic State fighters, retaking most of the northern Syrian town of Kobani, following reports by the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights that ISIL had killed 146 civilians since entering the northern Syrian border town on Thursday.
- Some 60,000 Troops Take Part in Special Operation in Eastern Ukraine Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said that number of government troops deployed in eastern Ukraine has reached 60,000 servicemen.
- Al-Shabab militants 'overrun' AU base in Somalia Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- The al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militant group has claimed to have overrun an African Union (AU) military base in a village in the troubled southern Somalia.
- Al-Shabab Attack Kills Scores of AU Troops VOA 26 Jun 2015 -- Islamist militant group al-Shabab killed more than 70 African Union soldiers and seized control of their peacekeeping base in southern Somalia early Friday.
- Central African Republic's transition needs international community's support - UN expert UN News 26 Jun 2015 -- The international community must redouble its efforts to help the Central African Republic to fully realize its transition to peace, national reconciliation, reconstruction and the end of impunity, the United Nations independent expert on the human rights situation in the country said today.
- Vulnerabilities Exposed, Islamic State Still Evolving VOA 26 Jun 2015 -- Once bent on advancing at all costs to establish its self-declared caliphate, the terror group known as the Islamic State has increasingly been willing to cede territory in battles with Kurdish forces and Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias, raising questions about how and where it would draw its line in the sand.
- Perpetrators of 'reprehensible' terrorist attacks in France, Kuwait and Tunisia must be brought to justice - UN UN News 26 Jun 2015 -- Strongly condemning the terrorist attacks carried out separately today in Tunisia, Kuwait and France, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon underscored that, far from weakening the world's resolve, the heinous incidents will only strengthen commitment to defeating all forms of terrorism.
- Bomb attack kills 25, injures dozens at Shia mosque in Kuwait City Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- At least 25 people have been killed and more than 200 others injured in a bomb attack at Imam Sadiq (PBUH) Mosque in Kuwait City.
- France Raises Security Level After Attack VOA 26 Jun 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande said he was raising the security level in the region of Rhone-Alpes to 'attack' – the highest possible – after a terrorist attack rocked a U.S.-owned gas factory in the country's southeast.
- Hotels attacked in Tunisia's Sousse, 37 killed: Health Ministry Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- Some 37 people, including foreign nationals, have been killed and tens of others injured in an attack by unidentified armed men on a tourist resort in the central Tunisian town of Sousse.
- Dozens Killed in Tunisian Hotel Terror Attack VOA 26 Jun 2015 -- Tunisian officials say a terrorist attack near a hotel on the Mediterranean coast has left 37 people dead, including British, German and Belgian nationals.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Trip to Vienna US Dept. of State 26 Jun 2015
- Araqchi: Major differences in nuclear talks still standing IRNA 26 Jun 2015 -- Senior negotiator, Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that major differences in wording of the nuclear deal are still standing.
- Iran-P5+1 talks progressing hard, slowly: Iranian negotiator Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- An Iranian negotiator says talks between Iran and the P5+1 on the text of a possible deal between the two sides are progressing "hard and slowly."
- Tough Issues Remain as Iran Nuclear Talks Deadline Looms VOA 26 Jun 2015 -- More than two years of negotiations on the future of Iran's nuclear program, and international economic sanctions against it, face a deadline next Tuesday, with the two sides still reported to be far apart on several key issues.
- Iran rules out human rights record released by US state department IRNA 26 Jun 2015 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswomen Marzieh Afkham said on Friday that US state department allegation about human rights violations in Iran published in 2014 annual report is an excuse to interfere in Iranian national affairs.
- Iran dismisses claims of rights violations in US report Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- Iran has categorically rejected the allegations of civil rights violations raised against the Islamic Republic in a recent report by the US State Department, stressing its commitment to respecting human rights.
- S Korea blacklists foreign entities over arms trade with North Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- South Korea has slapped financial sanctions on seven individuals and organizations for allegedly engaging in weapons trade with the North.
- Ban appeals to Burundian authorities to consider postponing elections UN News 26 Jun 2015 -- Closely following political and security developments in Burundi, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today encouraged the country's authorities to consider the postponing of the elections scheduled for July 15.
- Burundi opposition announces decision to boycott elections Press TV 26 Jun 2015 -- Burundi's opposition parties have announced their decision to boycott upcoming key elections, citing lack of necessary conditions for a fair vote.
- 'ElectricYerevan' Protesters Chafe At Comparisons To Ukraine's Euromaidan RFE/RL 26 Jun 2015 -- As protests in Yerevan and other Armenian cities enter their second week, activists are struggling with a postmodern problem - branding.
- Armenian Riot Police Deployed Near 'Electric Yerevan' Protest RFE/RL 26 Jun 2015 -- Armenian riot police have been deployed at the edge of a mass protest that has blocked a main thoroughfare in Yerevan, just a few hundred meters from President Serzh Sarkisian's office.
- Eritrean Refugees Protest AU Inaction Against Dictatorship VOA 26 Jun 2015 -- Hundreds of Eritrean refugees demonstrated Friday in front of the African Union headquarters demanding the regional organization push for democratic reforms in their home country. President Isaias Afewerki has been in power for 22 years, Eritrea's only president since independence, and has been accused of suppressing dissent in the one-party state.
- Yevgeny Primakov: Russian PM, FM and Father of Russia-China-India Axis Sputnik 26 Jun 2015 -- Yevgeny Primakov, a prominent Russian politician serving as foreign minister and prime minister in a very difficult period in post-Soviet Russian history, passed away in Moscow at the age of 85. Sputnik takes a look back at the life and career of the visionary politician.
- Former Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov Dies RFE/RL 26 Jun 2015 -- Yevgeny Primakov, a former Russian prime minister, foreign minister, and spy chief known for his assertive diplomacy and a desperate attempt to avert NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999, has died at age 85.
- On World Day, UN says efforts to combat illicit drugs must be linked to development UN News 26 Jun 2015 -- Marking the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, top United Nations officials focused on the need for alternative development for farmers who cultivate illicit crops and for leaders to address drug trafficking and drug abuse that pose as obstacles to sustainable development for the world.
- UN Tribunal Eyed To Prosecute Those Who Shot Down MH17 In Ukraine RFE/RL 26 Jun 2015 -- The five countries investigating last year's shooting down of a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine are calling for an international tribunal established by the United Nations to prosecute those responsible.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|