14 June 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 14 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Airstrike Targets Top Al-Qaida Terrorist in Libya VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- The U.S. military says it launched an airstrike against a top al-Qaida linked terrorist in Libya wanted for a deadly 2013 attack on a gas plant in Algeria.
- Airstrike kills senior Qaeda commander in eastern Libya Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- A senior commander of the al-Qaeda terrorist group has been killed in an attack in Libya.
- Taliban Kills Afghan District Governor VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- A roadside bomb in Afghanistan's northeastern Takhar province Sunday killed a district governor and his three security guards. The attack comes as Afghan officials blame militants fleeing an army offensive in neighboring Pakistan for being behind the spike in violence in the country's north.
Defense Policy / Programs
- NATO, EU to Face Variety of Threats in Near Future - Czech Military Docs Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- The near future is threatening NATO and the EU with conflicts, cyberattacks, and competition for resources.
- Two of Three Baltic States Support Deployment of US Arms in East Europe Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- Estonian Defense Minister Sven Mikser welcomed Washington's desire to deploy heavy weapons in Eastern Europe.
- Poland, Lithuania in talks with US over heavy weaponry warehouses Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Poland and Lithuania are discussing plans for permanent stationing of US army equipment, officials from the two countries say.
- Warsaw in Talks on Stationing US Military Warehouses in Poland Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- Poland is discussing the possibility of stationing of US Army equipment warehouses in the country with Washington, the Defense Ministry said in Warsaw on Sunday.
- Poland Negotiating With US to Station American Weaponry on Its Soil VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- Poland said Sunday it is negotiating with the United States to permanently station heavy American military weaponry inside its borders, part of a U.S. plan under consideration to bolster its presence in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states to deter possible Russian aggression.
- China, US sign agreement to boost army cooperation People's Daily 15 Jun 2015 -- China has acted as an immensely important partner in Africa's development all the time, Mark Suzman, president of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, told Xinhua in an exclusive interview.
- Hungary, Italy to Conduct Observation Flight Over Russia Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- Specialists from Hungary and Italy will carry out a joint observation flight over the territory of Russia under the Treaty on Open Skies on June 15-19, Sergei Ryzhkov, head of Russia's National Nuclear Risk Reduction Center has announced.
- Russian Inspectors to Assess Military Activity in Hungary Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- Russian inspectors will visit military training ranges as well as command briefings. They will be provided with information of the military activity in the designated area.
- Russian Military Aircraft Flew Over NATO Warships in Baltic Sea - Media Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- The incident involving four NATO warships, including US destroyer Jason Dunham, occurred on Thursday. One British, one French and one German vessel were also part of the group.
- China tests hypersonic nuclear-capable glide vehicle Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry has confirmed the latest testing of a hypersonic nuclear-capable delivery system.
- Faster Than Light: China's Hypersonic WU-14 Getting on Pentagon's Nerves Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- China's new hypersonic weaponry may have the potential to neutralize US strategic missile defenses due to its unparalleled capability of maneuvering to avoid tracking by radars and interceptors, military expert Franz-Stefan Gady emphasized.
- N Korea Fires Three Missiles Into Sea, Planting Landmines Near Border Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- The launch is supposed to be additional test-firing of anti-ship missiles following the same tests which were conducted in February and May.
- Cabinet Secretary Mandelblit Presents PM Netanyahu with Israel's Position on Operation Protective Edge Israel - Prime Minister's Office 14 Jun 2015 -- Cabinet Secretary Avichai Mandelblit, at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting today presented Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with the report that has been prepared in recent months on the State of Israel's position regarding Operation Protective Edge.
- Tel Aviv moves to block release of UN report on Israeli war crimes Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Tel Aviv seeks to prevent the release of the findings of a UN investigation into Israeli war crimes against Palestinians in Gaza, with the prime minister of the regime labeling such a move as a "waste of time."
- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah delegation leaves Sana'a for Geneva talks Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- The representatives of Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement have headed for the Swiss city of Geneva to attend the UN-brokered peace talks aimed at ending the deadly conflict in the Arab country.
- China Urges Japan to Halt Provocative Actions Amid Relations' Thaw Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- During the G-7 summit last week, Japan lobbied members to include a passage about China's activity in the South China Sea, hyping up tensions in the Sino-Japanese already fragile ties.
- 26 ISIL Takfiris killed in separate operations in Iraq's Anbar Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Over two dozen ISIL terrorists have reportedly been killed in separate military operations by Iraqi forces and tribesmen across the country's western province of al-Anbar.
- Turkey unhappy with Kurdish fighters' victories against ISIL Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has expressed grave concern over the recent advances of Kurdish fighters in the Syrian province of Raqqa where Takfiri ISIL terrorists are operating.
- 159 Syrian civilians killed in US-led strikes across Syria Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- At least 159 Syrian civilians have been killed in airstrikes across Syria by the so-called US-led coalition purporting to fight Takfiri ISIL terrorists in the Arab country.
- Syrian Kurdish fighters advance into ISIL-held Raqqa Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Syrian Kurdish fighters have reportedly advanced toward the northern Syrian border town of Tal Abyad in Raqqa Province, where Takfiri ISIL terrorists are active.
- Kurds Close in on IS-held Syrian Town VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- Kurdish militias are closing in on an important Islamic State-held town in Syria near the Turkish border.
- Libya: UN official calls for 'immediate' release of abducted Tunisian diplomatic staff UN News 14 Jun 2015 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has strongly condemned an attack on the Tunisian consulate in the Libyan capital of Tripoli which resulted in the capture of ten consulate staff members.
- Donbass on Brink of Major War, Conflict May Escalate Any Time - DPR Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- The conflict in southeastern Ukraine can escalate at any time, representative of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) at the Minsk peace talks Denis Pushilin said Sunday, pointing to a threat of a major war between Kiev forces and independence supporters amid a ceasefire enforced in the region.
- Sudan's Bashir Rattles S. Africa at AU Summit VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- A South African judge has ordered authorities to prevent Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir from leaving the country after the International Criminal Court called for him to be arrested at an African Union summit there.
- South African Judge Orders Sudan's President Detained VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- A South African judge has ordered authorities to prevent Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir from leaving the country after the International Criminal Court called for him to be arrested at an African Union summit there.
- Kenya forces kill 11 Shabab militants Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- The Kenyan army has killed at least 11 militants from the Somalia-based Takfiri al-Shabab during a cross-border shoot-out in the troubled northeast of Kenya, a military spokesman says.
- Senior al-Shabab commander slain in southwest Somalia Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- A high-ranking commander of al-Shabab militant group has been killed by Somali government forces during an operation in Somalia's southwestern region of Bakool.
- President: Harmful sanctions need to be removed IRNA 14 Jun 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani underlined that if the sanctions imposed by the West negatively influence the country's economy the needed measures should be taken for their removal.
- Iran will not allow any inspection to military sites: official IRNA 14 Jun 2015 -- Deputy Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces said Sunday that Iran will never provide foreigners with access to its military sites.
- Defense minister says Iranian nuclear negotiators acting powerfully IRNA 14 Jun 2015 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said on Sunday that Iranian negotiating team are powerfully defending the national nuclear rights.
- Iran not afraid of sanctions: President IRNA 14 Jun 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said his administration is not afraid of sanctions but would fight for their removal.
- President: All capacities will be used to remove sanctions IRNA 14 Jun 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the government will use all the capacities to remove anti-Iranian sanctions.
- Iran won't allow foreign inspection of military sites: Commander Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- A senior Iranian general has reaffirmed the country's opposition to any inspection of its military sites, saying the Iranian nation will never allow world powers to impose their excessive demands on Iran.
- Netanyahu Warns of 'Accelerating Concessions' with Iran VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- World powers attempting to broker a nuclear deal are 'accelerating concessions' with Iran, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday.
- MERS infections in S.Korea increase to 145 with 7 more cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2015 -- Infections with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) increased to 145 Sunday since the first case was reported on May 20, with seven more cases added, the health ministry said.
- South Korea reports 15th MERS death, 7 new cases Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- Another person has died of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in South Korea, pushing the death toll from the deadly outbreak in the East Asian state to 15.
- Britain 'Pulls Out Spies' As Russia, China Crack Snowden Files RFE/RL 14 Jun 2015 -- British media are reporting that both Russia and China have cracked top-secret information contained in files leaked by U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Germany's Spy Agency Monitored Own Branch Tied to US Sputnik 14 Jun 2015 -- Germany's foreign intelligence agency BND spied on its own branch, gathering information at the US request, the German Bild am Sonntag newspaper reported Sunday.
- China is immensely important partner in Africa's development People's Daily 14 Jun 2015 -- China has acted as an immensely important partner in Africa's development all the time, Mark Suzman, president of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, told Xinhua in an exclusive interview.
- UN Chief Warns Central Asia Over Crackdowns On Human Rights RFE/RL 14 Jun 2015 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said crackdowns on human rights in Central Asia could backfire by encouraging extremism.
- European Comet Lander 'Awake' After 7 Months VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- The European Space Agency's comet lander has awakened after a seven month hibernation and communicated with Earth.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|