13 June 2015 Military News
- Coalition Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 13 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 13 Jun 2015 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Idris Ahmad 'Abd Al Qadir Idris, Sharaf Ahmad Muhammad Mas'ud, Jalal Salam Awad Awad, Saa'd Nasser Moqbil Al Azani, Emad Abdallah Hassan, and Muhammad Ali Salem Al Zarnuki from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to Oman.
- Maintenance key to combat airpower mission AFNS 13 Jun 2015 -- Maintainers deployed to the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing from their home station at Aviano Air Base, Italy, are always at work maintaining a squadron of combat-ready F-16 Fighting Falcons.
- US, China to Establish Military Dialogue VOA 13 Jun 2015 -- The United States and China signed an agreement Friday to establish an army-to-army dialogue mechanism to better coordinate humanitarian assistance and disaster response practices. U.S. officials also hope the framework will promote mutual understanding and reduce the risk of miscalculation between the two countries.
- 'Shame': How Did New Ukrainian Armored Car Get Its Nickname? Sputnik 13 Jun 2015 -- The Ukrainian Army was due to receive 'Dozor-B' armored cars in March, but only one trial model has been manufactured so far... and it broke down.
- Lithuania's Air Defenders Get 4th Generation MANPADS Sputnik 13 Jun 2015 -- Lithuanian air defense forces received the first batch of the 4th generation RBS70 missile systems with night vision devices, upgraded by the Swedish arms manufacturer SAAB Dynamics, media reported Friday, citing Defense Ministry sources in Vilnius.
- Fresh Saudi airstrikes hit areas across Yemen Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Saudi warplanes have carried out fresh airstrikes across Yemen as the impoverished country at the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula continues to reel from over 80 days of aggression by its rich northern neighbor.
- Yemen army, allied fighters target Saudi bases Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Yemeni army troopers backed by fighters from the allied Popular Committees have fired a barrage of artillery shells at Saudi military bases in the kingdom's southwestern and border region of Jizan.
- Iraqi army liberates seven more villages in Anbar province Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- The Iraqi army and Popular Mobilization units have liberated seven villages across Anbar province from ISIL terrorists, Press TV reports.
- Influx of Arab Refugees Stirs Concern in Iraqi Kurdish City VOA 13 Jun 2015 -- More than 2 million internally displaced persons are settled in cities, towns and camps in Iraq's Kurdistan region. The city of Shaqlawa has seen its population more than double with the addition of more than 26,000 Arab refugees and displaced persons.
- Infighting leaves 29 Takfiris dead in northern Syria Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Nearly 30 Takfiri militants have been killed in internecine clashes between ISIL terrorists and al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front and other militants over the control of a village in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Hezbollah forces, Syria army make new gains in Qalamoun Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Fighters of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah and the Syrian army have liberated new areas in the mountainous border region of Qalamoun, west of Syria.
- CIA Training Program of Syrian Rebels May Face Funding Cuts Sputnik 13 Jun 2015 -- A US Congress committee is expected to vote on funding cuts of a secret Central Intelligence Agency's (CIA) operation to train and arm rebels in Syria next week, a US lawmaker said.
- 6 Ukraine soldiers killed, 14 injured in new clashes Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Clashes between the Ukrainian army and pro-Russia forces have left six Ukrainian soldiers killed and 14 others wounded in the east of the country.
- OSCE Hopes for Demilitarization of Shirokino in Eastern Ukraine Sputnik 13 Jun 2015 -- The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission's chief urged the warring parties in Donbass to stop shelling 'comprehensively and completely.'
- Ukraine Coking Plant Caught in Crossfire VOA 13 Jun 2015 -- A coking plant in Ukraine, one of Europe's largest, has been caught in the front-line fire between Russia-backed rebels and government forces hundreds of times. In recent weeks, the plant appears to have become a direct rebel target, and some fear the separatists may try to seize it.
- Pakistan army kills 2,763 militants in one-year Waziristan offensive Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- The Pakistani military says its soldiers have killed more than 2,700 militants in the troubled North Waziristan tribal region over the past 12 months.
- Pakistani army airstrikes leave 20 militants dead Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- At least 20 suspected pro-Taliban militants have been killed in the Pakistani army's air raids in a restive northwestern tribal region close to the country's border with Afghanistan.
- 14,000 South Sudanese flee violence to Sudan: UN Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations refugee agency says the rising number of people fleeing violence in South Sudan is creating a huge emergency, saying that more should be done to prevent a looming disaster.
- Iran reiterates sovereignty over three Persian Gulf islands Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Iran has rejected as "baseless" a statement by the Persian Gulf Arab states supporting the United Arab Emirates' alleged claim to three Iranian islands.
- China Slams Philippines 'Deceitful' Claims as S China Sea Dispute Continues Sputnik 13 Jun 2015 -- China's envoy to the United Nations said that the accusations which Philippines have made against China over the South China Sea dispute are unjustified and baseless.
- Government will not allow inspection to military sites IRNA 13 Jun 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that the government will not let inspection to military sites in the process of carrying out the Additional Protocol to Non-Proliferation Treaty or any other deal with the western governments.
- President says nuclear deal will ensure rights of nation IRNA 13 Jun 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that Iranian nuclear negotiators are working to reach dignified nuclear deal to ensure the rights of Iranian nation, observing the red lines.
- No Iran-US talks on regional issues: Official ISNA 13 Jun 2015 -- A senior Iranian official said talks between Tehran and Washington are limited to the Islamic Republic's nuclear issue, noting that Iran would discuss regional issues only with its neighbors.
- Rohani Hints At Extension Of Nuclear Talks, Cites 'Many Differences' RFE/RL 13 Jun 2015 -- President Hassan Rohani has suggested that 'many differences over details' remain in talks with world powers on Iran's nuclear activities but added that a deal is 'entirely feasible' even if it requires more time.
- Death toll from MERS outbreak in South Korea hits 14 Press TV 13 Jun 2015 -- Another person has died of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in South Korea, pushing the death toll from the deadly outbreak in the East Asian state to 14.
- WHO: S. Korea to See More MERS Cases VOA 13 Jun 2015 -- A team of World Health Organization experts say the outbreak of the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in South Korea is 'large and complex' and more cases should be expected.
- President Xi commemorates CPC revolutionary veteran, stresses Party unity People's Daily 13 Jun 2015 -- President Xi Jinping has urged members of the Communist Party of China (CPC) to learn from veterans of the revolution, who are models of Party unity, discipline and morals.
- China Headlines-Commentary: Trial of Zhou Yongkang displays rule of law resolve People's Daily 13 Jun 2015 -- The trial and sentence of Zhou Yongkang sends a clear signal: China is determined to fight corruption with full commitment to the rule of law.
- Chinese envoy stresses importance of sustainable maritime development People's Daily 13 Jun 2015 -- A Chinese envoy to the United Nations on Friday highlighted the importance of sustainable maritime development at the 25th Meeting of States Parties to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
- Legislators, Rights Advocates Urge More US Action on Hong Kong Reforms VOA 13 Jun 2015 -- Members of U.S. Congress and human rights groups are urging the U.S. government to do more for Hong Kong's democracy ahead of a vote next week in Hong Kong on the territory's electoral reform package.
- UN Leader Urges Uzbekistan To Stop Torture, Forced Labor RFE/RL 13 Jun 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged Uzbekistan's President Islam Karimov June 12 to stop using forced labor in cotton fields and improve the treatment of prisoners.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|