07 June 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes damage ISIL positions in Syria and Iraq AFPS 07 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan Troops Battle Taliban Forces in Yamgan VOA 07 Jun 2015 -- Intense fighting is raging in northeastern Afghanistan where officials say a counteroffensive is underway to retake control of a remote district Taliban insurgents captured the Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Norway Commits to NATO Missile Defense System Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- After meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, Norway's Prime Minister said the country is obliged to take part in the missile defense system.
- Iran strongly fighting maritime terrorism: Navy cmdr. Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the Islamic Republic's naval forces are strongly fighting maritime terrorism in high seas.
- Belarus Stages Military Drills at Ukrainian Border, Tightens Border Control Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- Belarus is holding a military exercise not far from its border with Ukraine, which is aimed at tightening border controls and improving its territorial defense.
- UK mulls hosting US missiles to counter Russia military plans Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond says his country is ready to consider hosting US cruise missiles in an alleged bid to counter "worrying signs" from Russia's military plans.
- UK to Consider Hosting US Cruise Missiles to Counter Russia Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- The United Kingdom will consider hosting US intermediate missiles to counter Russia amid escalation of tensions in Ukraine, UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said Sunday.
- Cameron Announces Plans to Send 125 More Military Trainers to Iraq Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- UK Prime Minister David Cameron announced on Sunday that he was planning to send additional 125 military personnel to Iraq to help the country counter the Islamic State (ISIL) group, at an annual Group of Seven (G7) summit in Bavaria, Germany.
- Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest on G-7 Summit The White House 07 Jun 2015
- U.S. begins flight testing advanced missile defense interceptor Raytheon 07 Jun 2015 -- The U.S. Navy and Missile Defense Agency (MDA) conducted the first flight test of the Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) Standard Missile-3 Block IIA. The interceptor's bigger rocket motors and more capable kill vehicle will engage threats sooner and protect larger regions from short- to intermediate-range ballistic missile threats.
- Yemeni Houthi rebels target Saudi Arabia by three Scud missiles: SPA IRNA 07 Jun 2015 -- Yemen's Houthi rebels targeted territory of Saudi Arabia by three Scud ballistic missiles fired from Yemen, Saudi Press Agency said on Sunday.
- Saudi-Led Bombing Kills 44 in Yemen After Peace Talks Promise Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- Saudi-led forces killed at least 44 people, including 20 civilians in bombing raids on the Yemeni capital on Saturday.
- Saudi-led Airstrikes Kill 44 in Yemen's Sana'a VOA 07 Jun 2015 -- Airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition in the Yemeni capital Sunday killed at least 44 people, including civilians, one week before the scheduled start of peace talks between rival political factions.
- ISIL Takfiri group claims responsibility for Diyala blast Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- The ISIL Takfiri group has claimed responsibility for a deadly car bomb attack in eastern Iraq that killed at least 15 people.
- Iraq recaptures Baiji from ISIL: Defense Ministry Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- The Iraqi Defense Ministry says army soldiers and volunteer forces have gained control over the country's northern oil refinery city of Baiji from ISIL militants.
- Iraqi army forces capture 24 ISIL Takfiris in Salahuddin Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- A high-ranking Iraqi military commander says Iraqi troopers have captured two dozen Takfiri ISIL militants during a clean-up operation in the country's northern province of Salahuddin.
- Iraqi Forces Advance in Baiji VOA 07 Jun 2015 -- Iraqi forces advanced in the oil refinery town of Baiji on Sunday in a bid to reclaim the area from Islamic State forces for the second time.
- Hezbollah fighters clear area near Arsal of militants Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- Fighters belonging to Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah, have taken full control of a strategic hilltop on the outskirts of Lebanon's northeastern border town of Arsal.
- Syria army inflicts losses on militants in Hasakah Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- The Syrian army has targeted Takfiri terrorists in the northeastern province of Hasakah, inflicting heavy losses on the militants.
- Joint forces of Syria, Hezbollah tighten noose around terrorists in Qalamoun Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- The Syrian army, backed by fighters from the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah, has been making significant gains against Takfiri terrorists operating in the Lebanese-Syrian border region of Qalamoun, Press TV reports.
- ISIL Makes Inroads in Libya Amid Country's Chaos Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- The Islamic State has carried out assaults on several Libyan cities, raising fears that the group may use Libyan bases to stage attacks elsewhere.
- Five Shia Muslims gunned down in southwestern Pakistan Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- A group of heavily-armed militants have gunned down at least five Shia Muslims in Pakistan's troubled southwestern province of Balochistan.
- Kiev forces violate truce deal 29 times in single day: DPR Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- The Ukrainian government forces have violated the Minsk truce accord 29 times in a single day by launching live-fire attacks against pro-Russia forces in the country's eastern Donbas region.
- Obama: Ukraine's Territorial Integrity Necessary for Conflict Settlement Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- US President Barack Obama said the conflict in Ukraine can be solved peacefully only if country's territorial integrity and sovereignty is ensured.
- Ukrainian Border Guard Gunboat Explodes Off Coast of Mariupol Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- A border patrol vessel belonging to the Ukrainian Security Service has blown up in the Sea of Azov off the coast of Mariupol; the country's Border Security Service has reported two injuries and heavy damage to the vessel.
- Turkey AKP loses absolute majority in parliament Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- In a setback for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has failed to win a majority in parliamentary elections, partial results show.
- Support Slips For Turkey's Ruling Party RFE/RL 07 Jun 2015 -- Preliminary results from Turkey's parliamentary election suggest the ruling party of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan could lose its simple majority in Parliament.
- Turkey Voters Reject Erdogan Bid for More Power VOA 07 Jun 2015 -- Turkey's ruling AK Party lost its absolute majority in parliamentary elections on Sunday - a stunning defeat for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's bid to rewrite the nation's constitution and create a presidential democracy. The results will force Erdogan's party to form a coalition government for the first time since he took power in 2002.
- Obama, Merkel Say Russia Sanctions Should Stay In Place RFE/RL 07 Jun 2015 -- The White House says President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel have both agreed that economic sanctions against Russia should remain until the 'full implementation' of the Minsk II peace accord and until Moscow respects Ukraine's sovereignty.
- Dy FM: Time limit not the case for comprehensive nuclear deal IRNA 07 Jun 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Euro-American Affairs said on Sunday that there is no time pressure in nuclear talks to reach a comprehensive agreement.
- Suu Kyi's upcoming China trip reflects common wish for better ties People's Daily 07 Jun 2015 -- Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi will visit China this week at the invitation of the Communist Party of China (CPC). The news has attracted attentions among observers of China-Myanmar relations, and it is believed the upcoming trip reflects a common wish of the two nations to improve ties.
- Sudan's Omar al-Bashir selects new cabinet members Press TV 07 Jun 2015 -- Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir has formed a new government, a month after he secured a landslide victory in elections boycotted by the opposition and marred by allegations of fraud.
- Indian Prime Minister Seals Border, Other Deals with Dhaka VOA 07 Jun 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has sealed a landmark agreement with Bangladesh to exchange tiny enclaves where thousands of people from both countries have been trapped for decades. The two countries signed several other agreements during the two-day visit, which is part of the Indian leader's outreach to neighboring countries - intended to reduce China's influence in the South Asian region.
- G7 Summit Kicks Off With Focus on Russia Sanctions VOA 07 Jun 2015 -- The leaders of seven major industrialized democracies are meeting for their annual summit, with the first day devoted to the global economy and talks to liberalize trade rules. But the meeting will also focus on the continued fighting in Ukraine and sanctions on Russia, which U.S. and German leaders agreed should remain in place.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|