06 June 2015 Military News
- Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria and Iraq AFPS 06 Jun 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- U.S. Military Counters Criticism That Air Strikes Aren't Stopping Islamic State RFE/RL 06 Jun 2015 -- a devastating toll -- The Pentagon took aim June 5 at a growing chorus of critics who say a 10-month campaign of air strikes by the United States and allies has been ineffective at preventing the Islamic State from gaining more territory in Iraq and Syria.
- Taliban launch operation in northeast Afghanistan Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- The Taliban militants have conducted a major assault to capture a district in Afghanistan's northeastern Badakhshan province, police and local media report.
- US drone attack kills 15 in east Afghanistan: Officials Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- Afghan officials confirm that 15 civilians have lost their lives in a US drone strike in Afghanistan's eastern province of Khost on Friday.
- New US drone strike kills nine in northwestern Pakistan Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- A fresh US drone attack has claimed the lives of at least nine people in Pakistan's northwestern tribal region near the Afghan border, officials say.
- Deadly Drone Strikes, Fighting in Pakistan, Afghanistan VOA 06 Jun 2015 -- A suspected U.S. drone strike Saturday in Pakistan's once militant-dominated North Waziristan border region killed at least nine suspected militants.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US deploys B-52 nuclear bombers to Baltic Sea exercises Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- The United States has deployed three B-52 nuclear bombers to take part in military exercises with NATO partners in the Baltic region amid heightened tensions with Russia.
- US Deploys B-52 Strategic Bombers for Military Exercises in Baltic Region Sputnik 06 Jun 2015 -- Еhe US Strategic Command stated that three B-52 strategic bombers deployed to Europe on Friday to participate in military exercises with NATO partners in the Baltic region and Poland.
- Egypt holds first naval drills with Russia off Alexandria Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- Egypt has launched its first naval military drills with Russia in the Mediterranean Sea aimed at enhancing mutual military cooperation between the two states, Russian defense ministry announced.
- Chinese navy ships end visit to Croatia People's Daily 06 Jun 2015 -- The 19th Chinese naval escort fleet ended its goodwill visit to Croatia and left Lora Naval base on Friday.
- China Stages Military Exercises Along Myanmar Border VOA 06 Jun 2015 -- China has launched live-fire air-ground training exercises along the China-Myanmar border, an area where Kokang rebels have been fighting Myanmar's army for months.
- Pakistan to increase military budget by 11% Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- Pakistan is to hike its military spending by 11 percent to meet the nation's security needs as Islamabad says it is battling insurgency.
- UN-facilitated Yemen consultations set for 14 June; Ban urges parties to engage in good faith UN News 06 Jun 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the readiness of President Abd Rabou Mansour Hadi of Yemen to send a delegation to participate in United Nations-facilitated Yemeni-Yemeni consultations in Geneva, set to start on 14 June.
- UN Says Yemen Peace Talks Are Set for June 14 VOA 06 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations said Saturday that peace talks between Yemeni rebels and the internationally recognized government in exile would take place June 14 in Geneva.
- Saudi-led Coalition Intercepts Scud Missile VOA 06 Jun 2015 -- Saudi Arabia said the Saudi-led coalition intercepted a scud missile launched into the kingdom's southwestern region from neighboring Yemen by Shi'ite rebels.
- Iraqi forces repel ISIL attack in Anbar Province Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- Iraqi security forces have foiled a terrorist attack by the ISIL Takfiri militants in the strategic western province of Anbar.
- Carter: New Steps Needed To Counter Russian Aggression In Ukraine RFE/RL 06 Jun 2015 -- The United States needs to take new steps to respond to the Ukraine conflict because economic sanctions and other Western actions have failed to get Russian President Vladimir Putin to reverse course, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said June 5.
- UNSC alarmed on Minsk deal violations in Ukraine Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- A senior UN official has briefed the world body's Security Council on the Ukraine conflict, pointing to the persisting non-implementation of the Minsk deal as well as the heavy human cost in the country resulting from such violations.
- India Inks Historic Land Swap Deal With Bangladesh Sputnik 06 Jun 2015 -- India and Bangladesh have signed a landmark agreement exchanging hundreds of mutual enclaves and resolving a decades-long border dispute, local media reported Saturday.
- Turkey's Vote Is All About Erdogan RFE/RL 06 Jun 2015 -- Turkish voters go to the polls on June 7 in parliamentary elections that are more about the fate of Turkey's long-time leader, President Tayyip Recep Erdogan, than they are about forming a new government.
- Turkey's Erdogan defends construction of new presidential palace Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the reason behind the building of his new lavish presidential palace was that his old prime minister's office had cockroaches in its bathrooms.
- Putin Cites 'No Regrets' Amid Latest Thinking On Ukraine, World Matters RFE/RL 06 Jun 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin told an Italian newspaper that he has 'nothing to regret' in life while he fully backs the Minsk peace agreements in Ukraine, though progress is being stalled by Kiev.
- IMF agrees $833mn emergency loan to Iraq Press TV 06 Jun 2015 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says it plans to provide Iraq with an emergency financial assistance of $833 million.
- No mutation in MERS virus found in S.Korea People's Daily 06 Jun 2015 -- No mutation in the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus was found in South Korea suffering from the virus which has infected 50 people as of Saturday since the first patient was reported on May 20.
- Sudan's Bashir Names New Foreign, Defense, Oil Ministers VOA 06 Jun 2015 -- Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir has formed a new government with changes to the defense, foreign affairs and oil portfolios, state television said Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|