S Arabia denies deployment of ground forces to Yemen's Aden
Iran Press TV
Sun May 3, 2015 10:32AM
The spokesman for Saudi Arabia's military operation in Yemen, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Asiri, has denied any deployment of ground troops to Yemen's southern port city of Aden.
Asiri made the remarks on Sunday in a telephone conversation with the Saudi news channel, al-Arabiya, saying the troops deployed there belong to forces loyal to Yemen's fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
The remarks by the Saudi spokesman came after reports said earlier in the day that Riyadh has deployed a "limited" battalion of ground troops to Yemen's southern port city of Aden.
'A limited coalition force entered Aden and another force is on its way' to the southern port city, AFP quoted a government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, as saying on Sunday.
A leading member of forces loyal to Hadi, confirmed the deployment of Saudi forces, adding that the forces "will start helping us in fighting."
Saudi Arabia started its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 - without a UN mandate - in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the country's fugitive former president who is a staunch ally of Riyadh.
The Saudis claim the airstrikes only target military positions. However, reports show civilians and infrastructure in civilian areas are being attacked.
In a recent report, Human Rights Watch said evidence shows Saudi Arabia has used cluster munitions in the northern province of Sa'ada in recent weeks.
According to the World Health Organization, 1,244 Yemenis lost their lives and 5,044 others have been injured from March 19 to April 27. Hundreds of women and children are among the victims, according to the WHO.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|