30 May 2015 Military News
- Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 30 May 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 93 militants killed in two days of Afghan army operations Press TV 30 May 2015 -- Afghan security forces have killed over 90 militants during military operations in 12 provinces within the past two days, the country's Defense Ministry says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Carter: Asia-Pacific Will Continue to 'Rise' With Strong Security Architecture AFPS 30 May 2015 -- A strong and inclusive security architecture is key to ensuring the opportunity for the Asia-Pacific region to continue to rise, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting With Japanese Minister of Defense Gen Nakatani DoD 30 May 2015
- Japan-U.S.-Australia Defense Ministers Meeting Joint Statement DoD 30 May 2015 -- Japanese Defense Minister Gen Nakatani, U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, and Australian Minister for Defence Kevin Andrews held trilateral defense ministerial talks in Singapore today , on the margins of the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) Shangri-La Dialogue. This was the fifth meeting of its kind among the three nations' top defense officials.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting With Malaysian Minister of Defense Datuk Seri Hishammuddin DoD 30 May 2015
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting With Australian Minister of Defense Kevin Andrews DoD 30 May 2015
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting With Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Minister of Defense Ng Eng Hen DoD 30 May 2015
- US Indicates Intent to Bolster Military Ties With Nigeria Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- Washington said it is ready to develop military cooperation with Nigeria as the country's new President Muhammadu Buhari was sworn in.
- Submarine U34, COMSUBNATO Visit Tallinn, Estonia NATO 30 May 2015 -- TALLINN, Estonia – This morning the German submarine U34 joined Standing NATO Maritime Group TWO (SNMG2) and Standing NATO Mine Counter-Measures Group ONE (SNMCMG1) in Tallinn for a scheduled port visit.
- Russia to Take Part in South China Sea Naval Exercises Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- Russia will take part in South China Sea counter-terrorism exercises as it becomes increasingly concerned with security and stability in the region.
- Russian Jets Force US Navy Destroyer Away From Territorial Waters Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- Russian Navy jets forced a US Navy ship into the eastern Black Sea after it was noticed heading into Russia's territorial waters.
- Russia's Own Mistral-class Carrier is in Final Phase of Design Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- Russia's analogue of the French Mistral-class carrier is in its final phase of design and will be probably laid down soon afterwards, according to the head of the Navy Ship Building Directorate; the decision to buy the vessels from France was made under "certain circumstances"; six years ago Russia was already capable of building them.
- Russian Navy to Receive First of Six Patrol Ships by 2016 Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- The first of six new patrol ships designed to combat piracy in the Horn of Africa under the Russian Navy's project will enter into service by the end of 2016, according to Captain Ι Rank Vladimir Tryapichnikov.
- Russia to Sign Border Military Activity Deal With Japan, North Korea Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- Russian Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said that Russia expects to sign bilateral agreements preventing dangerous military activity near each other's borders with Japan and North Korea.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Remarks on US Defense Secretary Carter's Speech Relating to the Issue of the South China Sea at the Shangri-La Dialogue PRC MofA 30 May 2015 -- The Chinese side has noted the relevant remarks by US Defense Secretary Carter. In disregard of the history, jurisprudence and facts, the US side made inappropriate remarks on China's long-standing sovereignty as well as rights and interests in the South China Sea to foment dissension and criticized China's normal and justified construction activities on islands and reefs. The Chinese side is firmly opposed to that.
- US Defense Chief to China: Halt Land Reclamation VOA 30 May 2015 -- The U.S. defense secretary delivered a blunt rebuke to China for being "out of step" with international norms amid its unprecedented pace of reclamation efforts in the disputed South China Sea, saying "it is unclear how much farther China will go."
- Ambassador Cui Tiankai's Interview with the Wall Street Journal on South China Sea People's Daily 30 May 2015 -- Ambassador Cui Tiankai's does an Interview with the Wall Street Journal on South China Sea (Photo provided by the Chinese Embassy in the US)e
- China, Vietnam can properly handle South China Sea issue: senior military official People's Daily 30 May 2015 -- A Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) general said here Friday that China and Vietnam can properly handle the South China Sea issue through joint efforts.
- Fresh Saudi air raids leave 7 dead in Yemen Press TV 30 May 2015 -- At least seven people have been killed and several others wounded in the latest wave of airstrikes conducted by Saudi Arabia against Yemen.
- WHO warns against deteriorating health situation in Iraq IRNA 30 May 2015 -- If urgently needed funds are not secured by the end of June 2015, more than 84% of health care projects serving the Iraqi population will be forced to close, the World Health Organization said on Saturday.
- Key district retaken near Iraq's Ramadi Press TV 30 May 2015 -- Iraqi forces have taken back an area southwest of the flashpoint city of Ramadi in the western Anbar Province from ISIL terrorists.
- Iraq forces moving toward Ramadi from three directions Press TV 30 May 2015 -- Iraqi security forces, with the support of Shia and Sunni volunteers, are pushing their way toward the western city of Ramadi, tightening the siege on the Takfiri ISIL terrorists that control the city.
- Rights Group: Syrian Barrel Bombs Kill 71 VOA 30 May 2015 -- Syrian army helicopters on Saturday dropped barrel bombs on Islamic State-controlled areas of Aleppo, killing 71 people and wounding dozens more, most of them civilians.
- Over dozen killed in Boko Haram rocket attacks in northeastern Nigeria Press TV 30 May 2015 -- Boko Haram rocket attacks have killed thirteen people in a residential area of the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri.
- Boko Haram Attacks in Nigerian City Kill 26 VOA 30 May 2015 -- The Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram launched attacks in the northeastern city of Maiduguri on Saturday, killing at least 26 people a day after the inauguration of the country's new president.
- With Russia Boxed In, Frozen Transdniester Conflict Could Heat Up RFE/RL 30 May 2015 -- The Ukrainian parliament's vote this month to break off most forms of military and intelligence cooperation with Moscow over the conflict with Russian-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine threatens to upset an uneasy peace in Moldova's breakaway Transdniester region.
- Differences remain over final nuclear agreement: Araqchi IRNA 30 May 2015 -- Senior nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi said following Saturday's talks between Iranian and US delegations that there are still unsettled differences over the final text of a future nuclear deal.
- Iran cooperates with IAEA more than reflected in recent report: Official ISNA 30 May 2015 -- An Iranian nuclear official says the part of a recent report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) about Iran's cooperation with the agency is "incomplete," as the Islamic Republic has cooperated with the agency more than reflected in the reports.
- Iran rejects any inspection of military sites, interviews with nuclear scientists Press TV 30 May 2015 -- A senior Iranian nuclear negotiator has rejected calls for interviews with Iranian nuclear scientists as well as inspections of military sites.
- Rouhani defends Iran nuclear negotiators' performance Press TV 30 May 2015 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has defended the performance of the Iranian nuclear negotiating team in its talks with the P5+1 countries over Tehran's nuclear program, saying the negotiators have great capabilities.
- Iran Again Rejects International Inspections of Nuclear Sites VOA 30 May 2015 -- Iran reiterated Saturday that international inspectors would not be given access to the country's military sites, as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Javad Zarif, met in Geneva to try to secure a nuclear deal.
- German-US Spy Scandal Spreading Like Wildfire Across Europe Sputnik 30 May 2015 -- Belgium and the Netherlands have launched an investigation into alleged espionage by Germany, blaming Berlin for assisting the United States in spying on its EU allies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|