09 May 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 May 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- GHWB Returns From Underway NNS 09 May 2015 -- NORFOLK (NNS) - USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) returned to its homeport of Norfolk after conducting carrier qualification (CQ) operations for pilots from the 'Gladiators' of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 106, May 9.
- US Set to Deploy CV-22 Osprey Aircraft at Yokota Air Base in Western Tokyo Sputnik 09 May 2015 -- Japan authorities are set to persuade local municipalities in western Tokyo into accepting the CV-22 Osprey convertoplans the US is going to deploy at its Yokota Air Base in the area; the local authorities are opposed to the use of Ospreys due to its insufficient security and high accident rate.
- Russian Military Systems We Should See In Coming Years RFE/RL 09 May 2015 -- Military modernization has been a priority of Vladimir Putin's Russia for more than a decade. Military spending has increased every year since Putin came to power in 1999.
- RS-24 Yars ICBM Sputnik 09 May 2015 -- RS-24 Yars (SS-29) is a fifth-generation intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- S-400 Triumf Air Defense Missile System Sputnik 09 May 2015 -- The S-400 Triumf (SA-21 Growler) is a Russian anti-aircraft weapon system, carrying three different types of missiles to engage targets at short to extremely long range.
- Kim Jong Un Watches Strategic Submarine Underwater Ballistic Missile Test-fire KCNA 09 May 2015 -- There took place an underwater test-fire of Korean-style powerful strategic submarine ballistic missile. The ballistic missile was developed on the personal initiative of Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, and under his meticulous guidance.
- Pyongyang Announces Successful Launch of Ballistic Missile from Submarine Sputnik 09 May 2015 -- North Korea said that it has successfully carried out an underwater test-fire of a submarine-launched ballistic missile.
- DPRK test-fires underwater ballistic missile People's Daily 09 May 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has successfully test-fired a strategic ballistic missile from an underwater submarine, official news agency reported on Saturday.
- DPRK slams UN freeze on Mudubong cargo ship People's Daily 09 May 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) slammed the United NationsSecurity Council on Friday for slapping sanctions on 'Mudubong,' a DPRK's cargo ship that has been held for almost ten months in Mexico after it struck a coral reef off the coast.
- Military Airbus A400 Aircraft Crashes in Seville, No Survivors Sputnik 09 May 2015 -- A military cargo plane crashed in Seville shortly after takeoff, killing everyone on board
- Gulf Partners to Seek US Reassurances at Summit VOA 09 May 2015 -- President Barack Obama will host a summit next week of the six Sunni-led member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council that is expected to focus on the Iran nuclear deal and Tehran's involvement in conflicts from Yemen to Syria.
- 4 killed, 10 injured in Saudi airstrikes on Yemen's Sa'ada Press TV 09 May 2015 -- Saudi airstrikes on the Yemen's northwestern province of Sa'ada have left four civilians dead and over ten others injured.
- Saudi fighter jets bomb international airport in Yemen capital Press TV 09 May 2015 -- Saudi military aircraft have carried out fresh airstrikes across Yemen as Riyadh pushes ahead with its military campaign against the neighboring Arab nation, local media say.
- Saudi Planes Intensify Airstrikes Over Houthi Targets in N. Yemen VOA 09 May 2015 -- Saudi-led coalition warplanes launched dozens of airstrikes Saturday against the Houthi rebel stronghold of Saada, hitting the homes of several Houthi leaders and damaging a number of buildings, including a historic mosque. Saudi Arabia says it is responding to Houthi shelling of two Saudi border towns in recent days.
- Battle goes on to free Syrian troops trapped by Takfiri militants Press TV 09 May 2015 -- Syrian troops have made advances towards the northwestern town of Jisr al-Shughur, where some 250 soldiers and their families are trapped in a hospital building by Takfiri militants.
- Syrian army retakes villages from ISIL in Hasakah province Press TV 09 May 2015 -- The Syrian army has managed to retake several villages from ISIL Takfiri terrorists in the northeastern province of Hasakah.
- China says DOC not tool for Philippines to whitewash wrongdoings People's Daily 09 May 2015 -- China on Friday said the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC) is not a tool for the Philippines to whitewash its wrongdoings, urging the Philippines to stop unfounded accusation and hyping of China's construction work.
- Maoist rebels abduct 250 villagers in central India Press TV 09 May 2015 -- Maoist rebels in India have taken at least 250 villagers hostage in the restive state of Chhattisgarh in central India, local authorities say.
- DRC Government Intensifies Military Offensive Against Rebels VOA 09 May 2015 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo's information minister says the country's army has intensified its military offensive against the Allied Democratic Forces - rebels originally from Uganda, blamed for the recent killing of two Tanzania soldiers.
- Russia Marks Victory Over Nazis With Military Parade RFE/RL 09 May 2015 -- A huge military parade has been held in the Russian capital, Moscow, to commemorate 70 years since victory over Nazi Germany by Allied forces.
- World Leaders To Russia For WWII Parade RFE/RL 09 May 2015 -- Two dozen world leaders flew to Russia for what promises to be a grandiose World War II victory parade May 9 despite a boycott by the United States and other Western countries.
- Massive Russian Parade Marks End of WWII, Showcases Military VOA 09 May 2015 -- Thousands of soldiers and scores of tanks rumbled across Red Square and dozens of aircraft new and old roared overhead Saturday, as Russia marked the 70th anniversary of the Nazi defeat during World War II.
- Egyptian Court Sentences Ex-President to Prison After Two Acquittals Sputnik 09 May 2015 -- The former president, overthrown in a 2011 uprising, has been sentenced to three years on corruption charges after previous acquittals for graft and murder.
- Ebola virus transmission ends in Liberia - UN health agency UN News 09 May 2015 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared Liberia free of Ebola virus transmission as forty-two days have passed since the last laboratory-confirmed case was buried on 28 March, a "monumental achievement" for a country that reported the highest number of deaths in the largest, longest, and most complex outbreak since Ebola first emerged in 1976.
- Iran, G5+1 face daunting task in Vienna N-talks: Iranian diplomat ISNA 09 May 2015 -- Representatives of Iran and the G5+1 group face 'the daunting task' of narrowing their differences in the upcoming nuclear talks in the Austrian capital city of Vienna.
- Iraqi President terms Tehran, Baghdad relations as 'strategic' IRNA 09 May 2015 -- In an exclusive interview with IRNA on Saturday, Iraqi President Fouad Masoum termed relations between Tehran and Baghdad as 'strategic'.
- US spy chief had 'forgotten' about NSA program Press TV 09 May 2015 -- The head of the US intelligence agencies "forgot" the truth when he wrongly told Congress that the government did not deliberately collect information about millions of Americans, according to his top lawyer.
- Uganda Army Launches De-radicalization Campaign VOA 09 May 2015 -- A spokesman for Uganda's People's Defense Forces says the army has launched a de-radicalization campaign in an effort to thwart recruitment drives by terrorist groups, including the Somali-based Islamist group al-Shabab.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|