24 April 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 24 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- ISIL Takes Defensive Posture in Iraq, Centcom Says AFPS 24 Apr 2015 -- U.S. Central Command officials believe the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorist group is on the defensive in Iraq, Centcom spokesman Air Force Col. Patrick Ryder told reporters here today.
- Pakistan: Two Deaths Show US Drone Risks VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- Pakistan has expressed 'shock and sorrow' after it emerged that a U.S. counterterrorism operation accidentally killed two male hostages – an American aid worker and an Italian – held by al-Qaida on the Afghan-Pakistan border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Airmen return A-10 to air after catastrophic engine failure in Iraq AFNS 24 Apr 2015 -- A maintenance repair team from the 332nd Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron recently responded to an A-10C Thunderbolt II that suffered a noncombat-related engine failure and had to divert to Al Asad Air Base, Iraq.
- US Navy Ships Complete Exercise Joint Warrior NNS 24 Apr 2015 -- Five U.S. Navy ships and participants from several other U.S. Navy supporting commands concluded their participation in the latest in a series of successful Joint Warrior exercises in Faslane, Scotland, April 23.
- Independent Deployer Certification Exercise Set to Kickoff NNS 24 Apr 2015 -- U.S. Navy ships are scheduled to participate in an independent deployer certification exercise (IDCERTEX) in the Southern California operating area April 25-May 3.
- Oklahoma City Visits Yokosuka During Routine Patrol NNS 24 Apr 2015 -- The Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarine USS Oklahoma City (SSN 723) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka April 22, for a port visit during its deployment to the Western Pacific.
- US plans globally integrated military operations - Russia's intelligence TASS 24 Apr 2015 -- The United States is planning 'globally integrated' operations in which all intelligence and control means would be pooled into an integrated circuit resembling the Internet, the chief of the General Staff's intelligence directorate, Igor Sergun, said on Friday.
- Congress: Pentagon Can't Use Russian & Chinese Weather Satellites Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- No matter their differences, any two people can still manage a conversation about one thing: weather. But for the Pentagon, even atmospheric phenomenon can become a political flashpoint, as it may soon be forbidden from using Russian or Chinese weather satellites.
- Troops conduct biannual 'ammo barge' mission in Alaska AFNS 24 Apr 2015 -- Twice a year, millions of pounds of explosives and ammunition travel north through Pacific waters in a biannual migration designed to resupply military installations across Alaska.
- US Paratroopers Test Ultralight Combat Vehicles Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- The Army's 82nd Airborne Division is testing an ultra-lightweight combat vehicle (UCLV) that would allow troops to airdrop in far from spots that are protected by air defense and then drive to the target area.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter Enroute to Washington, DC DoD 24 Apr 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- NATO Ships Complete Participation in Exercise Joint Warrior NATO 24 Apr 2015 -- BUG: the mark does not exist in the description file
- NATO welcomes deepened cooperation with Australia NATO 24 Apr 2015 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop to NATO headquarters on Friday (24 April 2015) for talks on issues of mutual interest, and on strengthening the NATO-Australia relationship. Calling Australia a natural partner for the Alliance, the Secretary General underscored that the current security environment has increased the need for increased dialogue and cooperation.
- Norway Announces Army Modernization, Creation of Northern Air Defense Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- The Norwegian Army announced on Friday its largest modernization since the 1940s, as well as the establishment of a new and modern air defense system.
- Norway Denies Major Military Overhaul Directed Against Russia Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- Earlier in the day, the Norwegian Army announced its largest modernization since the 1940s, as well as the creation of a multimillion-dollar air defense system.
- Over 3,500 Russian Soldiers Hold Mountain Drills in South Ossetia Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- More than 3,500 Russian military personnel held exercises in the mountainous terrain of the former Georgian republic of South Ossetia, the Russian Defense Ministry's Southern Military District's press service said Friday.
- Russia Conducts Simulated Launches of Iskander-M Missiles Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- An Iskander-M missile unit of Russia's Eastern Military District performed a computer-simulated launch of one of Russia's most advanced rockets during a snap drill, the RMD's press spokesman Alexander Gordeyev said Friday.
- Russia to Strengthen Military Contingent in Baltic Region Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- Russia must strengthen and optimize its military contingent in the Baltic region in light of the current military-political situation, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Friday.
- Russian military general says US, West wage first phase of hybrid war on Russia TASS 24 Apr 2015 -- The United States and its allies in the West are waging the first phase of hybrid warfare against Russia, the commander of Russia's Western Military District, Colonel-General Anatoly Sidorov said on Friday. In doing this they use political and economic methods with the aim of destabilizing the situation in the country, he explained.
- Practising conversion to wartime composition Russian army's priority - Chief of Defense TASS 24 Apr 2015 -- One of the most important tasks of Russia's General Staff at the moment is coordination of activities by military control bodies and bodies of state power to practise measures essential to converting the Armed Forces and other troops and forces to wartime composition, the chief of the General Staff, General of the Army Valery Gerasimov, said on Friday.
- UK confirms military contribution to the Mediterranean UK MOD 24 Apr 2015 -- HMS Bulwark, three Merlin MK2 helicopters and two civilian border patrol boats will deploy in light of recent tragedies
- India - Follow-on Support of C-130J Super Hercules Aircraft DSCA 24 Apr 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to India for Follow-on Support of C-130J Super Hercules Aircraft and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $96 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Iran Ready to Receive S-300 Missiles From Russia - Defense Minister Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- Iran is ready to receive the S-300 missile defense system from Russia and hopes this will happen this year, the country's Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan said Friday.
- Russian diplomat: Iran S-300 deliveries contract can't be implemented in its current form TASS 24 Apr 2015 -- The issue of S-300 air defense systems deliveries to Iran should be elaborated, Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told TASS on Thursday.
- Russia to carry on with modern weapons supplies to Cuba - Defense Minister Shoigu TASS 24 Apr 2015 -- Russia treats Cuba as a reliable friend and is ready to actively develop with the Caribbean island cooperation both in military and military-technical spheres, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Shoigu said on Friday.
- US will give new F-35 jets to Israel next year: Biden Press TV 24 Apr 2015 -- The United States will begin the delivery of new F-35 fighter jets to Israel next year, Vice President Joe Biden says.
- US to Deliver F-35 Fighter Jets to Israel in 2016 Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- The US government will provide F-35 fighter jets to Israel next year to the country a strategic advantage over its rivals in the Middle East, US Vice President Joe Biden said during a speech celebrating Israeli independence.
- Thailand, China agree to deepen military ties People's Daily 24 Apr 2015 -- Thailand and China agreed here Friday to deepen military relations between the two countries.
- Background Briefing on Arctic Council Preview US Dept. of State 24 Apr 2015
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 4/24/2015 The White House 24 Apr 2015
- April 24, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 24 Apr 2015
- 24 April 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Apr 2015
- Amid rising death toll in Yemen, UN urges humanitarian access, respect for international law UN News 24 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations human rights office said today that civilians are continuing to die in Yemen, with the total number killed between 26 March and 22 April now estimated at 551, including 31 women and at least 115 children.
- US Sees Tensions Lessen Over Iranian Ships Near Yemen VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- An Iranian naval convoy suspected of possibly trying to deliver weapons to Yemen's Houthi rebels appears to be on its way back to Iran, avoiding a potential face-off with the United States.
- Saudi fighter jets continue to pound more areas across Yemen Press TV 24 Apr 2015 -- Saudi warplanes have reportedly carried out fresh aerial assaults on Yemen, bombarding several places across the impoverished country.
- No End Near to Yemen Conflict, Analysts Say VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- Increasingly critical of the Saudi-led military action in Yemen, analysts say the conflict appears to be deadlocked with no end in sight.
- Iraq troops recapture al-Houz bridge in Ramadi Press TV 24 Apr 2015 -- Iraqi forces have reportedly recaptured a key bridge from the ISIL Takfiri group in the Iraqi western province of Anbar.
- Iraqi army kills 250 ISIL militants in Anbar province Press TV 24 Apr 2015 -- A high-ranking Iraqi military commander says units of government forces have killed hundreds of ISIL Takfiri militants during fierce exchanges of fire and wrested control of swathes of territory in the western province of Anbar.
- Security Council must match scale of Syria crisis with 'bold response' - UN relief officials UN News 24 Apr 2015 -- The Syrian crisis is getting worse and civilians are paying the price, senior United Nations humanitarian officials said today as they called for an end to the "numbness to the senseless violence", while the Security Council demanded parties to the conflict facilitate expanded aid operations and immediate delivery of life-saving supplies to hard-to-reach and besieged areas.
- Libya: UN condemns 'horrific' week of human rights violations amid county's rising violence UN News 24 Apr 2015 -- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) today condemned the "successive horrific incidents" in Libya this past week – ranging from the appalling loss of life in the Mediterranean of those escaping violence, the execution of Christians and the killings of several members of a prominent family by the so-called 'Islamic State in Libya.'
- UN mission peacekeepers repel two attacks in South Darfur UN News 24 Apr 2015 -- Peacekeepers with the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) have repelled two attacks by unidentified armed men in Kass, 85 kilometres north-west of Nyala, the capital of South Darfur.
- Welcoming Myanmar's visible strides, Ban says 'much more hard work lies ahead' UN News 24 Apr 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, convening a meeting on Myanmar today, welcomed the positive direction of its reform process as it continues on its "path of historic transition", but emphasized that more work remains to be done to address the country's myriad challenges.
- UN Chief to Myanmar: Settle Rohingya Status Question VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday urged the government of Myanmar to address the citizenship status of Rohingya Muslims ahead of elections planned for later this year.
- Ceremonies Mark 100th Anniversary Of Armenian Massacre RFE/RL 24 Apr 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande has called on Turkey to use 'other words' to describe the mass killings in the Ottoman Empire of up to 1.5 million Armenians during the World War I era, referring to Ankara's refusal to recognize the massacre as genocide.
- Armenia commemorates centenary of 1915 massacre Press TV 24 Apr 2015 -- Armenia has held a memorial ceremony to mark the centenary of the massacre of a great number of Armenians during the World War I.
- Italy Targets Network 'Inspired By Al-Qaeda' RFE/RL 24 Apr 2015 -- Italian police have launched an antiterrorist operation against a network they said was inspired by Al-Qaeda and had its operational base on the island of Sardinia.
- Al-Qaeda Suspects Arrested in Italy Allegedly Plotted Attack in Vatican Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- Eighteen suspected al-Qaeda militants arrested in Italy Friday were allegedly plotting a terrorist attack at the Vatican in 2010, La Repubblica newspaper reported, citing one of the prosecutors investigating the case.
- Italy Targets 18 Suspects in Anti-terror Sweep VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- Italian police arrested nine suspected terrorists and were hunting for nine others Friday in a crackdown on a group believed to be linked to deadly attacks in Pakistan and possibly a plot to attack the Vatican.
- Final Phase of Iran Nuclear Talks Begins VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- Iranian and international negotiators resumed talks in Vienna this week as part of efforts to finalize an agreement on the future of Tehran's nuclear program by the end of June.
- DPRK to establish 2nd int'l tourist zone People's Daily 24 Apr 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has declared a second international tourist zone, the official KCNA news agency reported Thursday.
- Putin Aims to Destabilize Ukraine, Former US Envoy Says VOA 24 Apr 2015 -- A former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine says recent military moves by Russia show that President Vladimir Putin's 'minimal goal is to destabilize the current government' in Ukraine.
- James Webb Space Telescope Progresses Toward Launch VOA 23 Apr 2015 -- While the space community is looking back this week to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope, workers in an airtight cleanroom at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, are looking ahead three years, to the launch of its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope.
- Russia to Continue Development of Nuclear Engine for Deep Space Flights Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- Russia will continue its plans to create a nuclear engine for deep space flights, according to the country's 2016-2025 Federal Space Program.
- Russia Ready to Help Brazil Develop Space Centers, Rockets - Deputy PM Sputnik 24 Apr 2015 -- Russia is ready to work with Brazil in the space industry to develop new space centers and Cyclone rockets for launches, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Friday.
- In Leaked Letter, Steinmeier Urges EU To Ease Russian Concerns On Ukraine Deal RFE/RL 24 Apr 2015 -- A leaked letter from German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier urges the European Union to quickly ease 'Russian concerns' regarding the implementation of a free-trade agreement with Ukraine.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|