11 April 2015 Military News
- Military Airstrikes Continue in Iraq, Syria AFPS 11 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- U.S. military, local Afghan leaders discuss security, successes Army News 11 Apr 2015 -- A shura was held Wednesday to discuss local security in the Bagram District of Parwan Province and highlight recent successes of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in that area.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Multi-National Partners Integrate with U.S. Joint Forces at OCSJX-15 Army News 11 Apr 2015 -- U.S. forces and civilians integrated with service members from three multi-national partnering nations are here to participate in Part B of the largest contract support exercise to date, Operational Contract Support Joint Exercise 2015.
- Fearless Guardian ground convoy arrives in Ukraine Army News 11 Apr 2015 -- Paratroopers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade Support Battalion arrived in Yavoriv, Ukraine April 10 via a ground convoy from here to deliver the brigade's training equipment for Operation Fearless Guardian.
- US Paratroopers Carry Out First Skydiving Exercises in Estonia - Army Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- The troops will remain in Estonia for three months, and will partake in Siil 2015 military exercises on May 4-15, which will be the largest in the country's history.
- USS Louisville Returns from Deployment NNS 11 Apr 2015 -- The Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Louisville (SSN 724) returned home to family and friends gathered at the submarine piers of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, April 10, following a scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Belize Hosts Opening Ceremony for Continuing Promise 2015 NNS 11 Apr 2015 -- An opening ceremony was held to celebrate the arrival of hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) and its crew as part of Continuing Promise 2015 (CP-15)on April 10.
- NATO Standing Naval Forces arrive in Scotland for Exercise Joint Warrior NATO 11 Apr 2015 -- Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2) and Standing NATO Mine Counter-Measures Groups ONE and TWO (SNMCMG1, SNMCMG2) ships arrived in Scotland the past two days for a port visit and to prepare for the UK-led Exercise JOINT WARRIOR 15-1.
- Russian Fighter Jet Forced U.S. Plane To Change Course RFE/RL 11 Apr 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has confirmed that an incident involving a Russian fighter jet and a U.S. reconnaissance plane took place over the Baltic Sea on April 7, though Moscow and Washington gave differing accounts of what happened.
- Russian SU-27 Nearly Collides With US Spy Plane Over Baltic Sea - Pentagon Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- A Russian Su-27 jet fighter flew dangerously close to and nearly collided with a US reconnaissance plane over the Baltic Sea on Tuesday, a Pentagon official claimed.
- Su-27 Intercepts US Spy Plane Heading Into Russian Airspace Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- The US RC-135U reconnaissance plane was flying towards the Russian border with its transponder switched off, a Defense Ministry spokesman said in Moscow Saturday.
- Upgraded Pantsir-S2 Gun-Missile System to Enter Service in 2015 Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- An improved Pantsir-S2 combined gun-missile system will join active military service before the end of this year, a top Russian military commander said Friday.
- Russia's New Military Doctrine Poses No Threat to Western States - Official Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- According to Antonov, the doctrine has been adapted to the changes that took place in the world since 2010 when the previous doctrine was signed. The document provides analysis of 'color' revolutions, the conflict in Ukraine and the activity of the Islamic State extremist group, among other global issues.
- Germany to Put 100 Mothballed Tanks Back Into Service Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- The German military plans to bring 100 mothballed tanks back into service amid speculation the move is in response to increased demands from the Ukraine crisis.
- India to Induct French Rafale Fighters to Air Force in Two Years Sputnik 11 Apr 2015 -- India will induct French Rafale fighters to the Indian Air Force (IAF) within two years, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Saturday.
- Iran to launch new submarine IRNA 11 Apr 2015 -- Iran will launch home made submarine soon, Navy Commander said on Saturday.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Claims 500 Rebel Deaths in Yemen Fighting VOA 11 Apr 2015 -- Saudi Arabia said Saturday that at least 500 insurgent Shi'ites have been killed along the Saudi-Yemen border since a Saudi-led coalition launched airstrikes late last month against Houthi rebels seeking to gain control of neighboring Yemen.
- IS Mounts Offensive in Anbar Province Capital of Ramadi VOA 11 Apr 2015 -- Islamic State militants went on the offensive against Iraqi government positions in the Anbar province capital of Ramadi Saturday, despite several days of government insistence that it was preparing for an offensive against the militants. Iraqi media also report that the militants mounted a separate, but unsuccessful attack against the oil refinery town of Beiji.
- UN official on 'urgent' mission to besieged Yarmouk refugee camp UN News 11 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations agency concerned with the well-being of Palestinian refugees is undertaking an urgent mission to Syria today, prompted by deepening concerns for the safety and protection of thousands Palestinian and Syrian civilians at Yarmouk refugee camp overrun in recent days by militants.
- UN condemns escalation of hostilities in western Libya, calls for immediate ceasefire UN News 11 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has today condemned the grave escalation in hostilities in western Libya, particularly in the Aziziya area in Warshafana, a region whose towns in recent days have undergone considerable destruction from intermittent battles.
- Obama Criticizes Partisan Jabs at Nuclear Deal with Iran VOA 11 Apr 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama said Saturday that partisan wrangling over nuclear negotiations with Iran and on other foreign policy matters has gone too far.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|