07 April 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 07 Apr 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 07 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 07 Apr 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Admiral Gortney in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 07 Apr 2015 -- Presenters: Commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, Adm. Bill Gortney
- Northcom, NORAD Strengthen Homeland Defense, Says Commander AFPS 07 Apr 2015 -- Four months into his tenure as leader of North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, Navy Adm. Bill Gortney conducted a Pentagon press briefing today on priority efforts in homeland defense.
- Largest Kadena flying exercise successfully completed AFNS 07 Apr 2015 -- Kadena Air Base pulled off their most aggressive exercise to date with Forceful Tiger off the coast of Okinawa, April 1.
- Redeyes fly in Korean skies AFNS 07 Apr 2015 -- More than 200 Airmen and several F-16 Fighting Falcons from the Colorado Air National Guard's 140th Wing have been deployed at Kunsan Air Base since February as part of a of a rotational theater security package (TSP).
- Generating airpower with hydraulics AFNS 07 Apr 2015 -- When a recruiter approached Rodney Shepherd a few years ago, he was working at a local steak joint outside Oklahoma City. He usually worked the front register but would find his way to the back to help out with dishes when things got busy; it was the dirtiest task, and admittedly, his least favorite part of the job.
- Army receives 100th E model Apache Army News 07 Apr 2015 -- The Army marked another milestone and accepted delivery of the 100th AH-64E Apache attack helicopter from Boeing on March 20.
- Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group Enters U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 07 Apr 2015 -- The Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TRCSG) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations (AOO) following a routine transit of the Suez Canal, April 6.
- Defending the nation's ICBM force AFNS 07 Apr 2015 -- Before the sun has had a chance to peek up above the horizon, a two-person team opens the front door and steps out of a missile alert facility (MAF) into the chilly blackness. Their flashlights click on and they set off on a perimeter check. With one on the outside of the fence surrounding the MAF and the other right next to them on the inside, they begin a meticulous check of the MAF's exterior.
- Space warning squadron keeps watch at 'top of the world' AFNS 07 Apr 2015 -- Located at the "top of the world," the 12th Space Warning Squadron's location offers a unique and strategic vantage point in the execution of its missile warning and defense, and space surveillance missions in support of U. S. Strategic Command.
- SPAWAR Commander Releases Strategic Vision for Leading the Navy in Cyber Warfighting NNS 07 Apr 2015 -- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) Commander Rear Adm. David Lewis released his strategic vision April 6 in support of the Navy's quest to ensure information dominance throughout its warfighting domains, specifically cyber.
- ROK-U.S. Marines coordinate fire during exercise USMC News 07 Apr 2015 -- U.S. Marines with 5th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company completed integrated fire support coordination and close air support training with Republic of Korea Marines March 23-28 at Susungri Range and Pilsung Range in South Korea.
- Operation PACIFIC ANGEL 15-3 spreads care in Vietnam Army News 07 Apr 2015 -- Entering its eighth year, PACANGEL ensures the region's militaries are prepared to work together to address humanitarian crises. Since 2007, PACANGEL operations have improved the lives of tens of thousands of people.
- Hint to Beijing? US Organizes War Games With Philippines in South China Sea Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- This month, the US and the Philippines will begin their annual war games in the South China Sea. While insisting that the exercises are not meant to be seen as a 'show of force,' this year's games are twice as large as previous drills, and follow a recent trend of American intimidation as it fears the rise of Chinese influence in the region.
- Spain to Extend US Military Presence at Southern Air Base Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- The government of Spain will authorize the presence of a US Marine Corps contingent at an air base in the south of the country for a third consecutive year, El Pais Spanish-language daily reported.
- US Stands on Need for European Missile Defense Regardless of Iran Deal Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- The United States will not change its stance on the need for missile defense systems in Europe even after a preliminary deal was struck last week by the P5+1 and Tehran Group on Iran's nuclear program, a US State Department official told Sputnik in an exclusive interview on Tuesday.
- Russian nuclear submarine catches fire at shipyard Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- A Russian nuclear submarine has caught fire at a shipyard in Russia's northern province of Arkhangelsk, but there are no casualties or threats as the vessel was not carrying any nuclear fuel.
- Russian Nuclear Sub on Fire to Be Partially Submerged - Shipbuilders Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- The Russian nuclear attack submarine, which caught fire earlier in the day, is to be partially submerged to completely extinguish the remainder of the fire on board, according to the United Shipbuilding Corporation.
- Open Fire on Russian Nuclear Sub Put Out, Hull Filled with Foam Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- According to a law enforcement source, firefighters managed to put out all traces of open fire on a nuclear submarine, docked at Russia's Zvezdochka ship repair center.
- No Casualties Reported After Russian Nuclear Submarine Fire Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- No workers or members of the crew were harmed during the fire on a nuclear submarine, docked at Russia's Zvezdochka ship repair center, according to Russia's United Shipbuilduing Corporation.
- Russian Northern Fleet Fighters Exercise on Target Interception, Air Fight Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- The fighter jets of the Russian Northern Fleet have performed daytime and nighttime exercises on off-shore target interception and air fight.
- Defense budget cuts to have no effect on Russia's defense capability - lawmaker TASS 07 Apr 2015 -- Russia's defense budget cuts will not affect the country's defense capability, member of the Defense Committee at the State Duma (the lower house of Russia's parliament), Col.-Gen Viktor Zavarzin said on Tuesday.
- Ukrainian military import substitution less costly for Russia than Mistral - Rogozin TASS 07 Apr 2015 -- The program of import substitution for products of Ukrainian defense enterprises will cost Russia less than one Mistral helicopter carrier, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin told TASS in an interview on Tuesday. He did not specify the program's cost, but answering the question how many Mistral warships could be bought with this money, said: 'None.'
- N. Korea Capable of Nuclear Strike at US, Military Leader Says VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- Top U.S. military officials believe North Korea is now capable of launching a nuclear-armed missile at the United States.
- India Prime Minister to Discuss Rafale Fighter Jet Deal During France Visit Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to discuss a long-disputed deal to buy Rafale fighter jets during his visit to France scheduled for April 10-11, France's Ambassador to India Francois Richier told Sputnik Tuesday.
- Unified Air Defense Systems Priority for CIS Collective Security Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- The tight integration of the Commonwealth of Independent States' anti-aircraft defense forces in the region is an important direction in uniting the CIS's missile defense systems, a deputy director of the CIS coordinating committee said Tuesday.
- Munitions Manufacturing Equipment Finds New Life in African Peacekeeping Mission Army News 07 Apr 2015 -- Outmoded sewing machines once used in the manufacture of fabric components of military-grade ammunition at Crane Army Ammunition Activity will soon be springing back to life in the hands of workers supported by the Army's peace-keeping operations in Africa.
- April 7, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 07 Apr 2015
- Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 4/7/2015 The White House 07 Apr 2015
- 7 April 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 07 Apr 2015
- US Accelerating Support for Allies in Yemen VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- To help the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi insurgency in Yemen, the United States has sped up weapons delivery and bolstered intelligence sharing, a senior U.S. diplomat said Tuesday.
- Yemen: UN relief agencies rush assessment teams, supplies to crisis-torn country UN News 07 Apr 2015 -- Amid ongoing heavy fighting in Yemen, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) says that a plane carrying humanitarian staff landed yesterday in the capital, Sana'a, and two more planes carrying medical supplies are expected later this week.
- Iran deplores deaths of hundreds Yemenis in Saudi air raids IRNA 07 Apr 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister and President Rouhani's Special Envoy Morteza Sarmadi said on Tuesday Iran uses capacities of all friendly countries to ease Yemeni people's pains and stop the Saudi aggression on Yemen.
- First ICRC aid flight arrives in Yemen capital Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- The first flight of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), carrying medical personnel, has landed in the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, as the Al Saud regime's warplanes continue to bomb the crisis-torn country.
- US agrees to refuel Saudi Arabian warplanes bombing Yemen Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- The United States is getting more involved in the Saudi-led aggression of Yemen by accepting to perform aerial refueling for Saudi-led warplanes.
- Red Cross raises alarm over humanitarian situation in Yemen Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has raised the alarm over the humanitarian situation across Yemen as the Al Saud regime continues its deadly airstrikes against the neighboring country.
- UN Decries Civilian Toll of Yemen Fighting VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- Saudi-led coalition jets bombed a military installation in southern Yemen Tuesday as local tribes battled with forces loyal to the Shi'ite rebels in the area, forcing them out and seizing their makeshift camp and weapons, military officials said.
- Coalition Planes Drop Arms for Pro-Hadi Forces in Yemen's South Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- The planes of Saudi-led coalition forces in Yemen have delivered weapons to supporters of Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi who are fighting against Houthi rebels in the south of the country, a government source has told Sputnik Arabic.
- Iraq security forces discover 14 mass graves near Tikrit Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- Iraqi security forces have discovered at least 14 mass graves since the strategic city of Tikrit was liberated from the ISIL Takfiri terrorists last week.
- Exhumation Begins At Suspected Mass Graves In Tikrit RFE/RL 07 Apr 2015 -- Iraqi forensic teams have begun excavating 12 suspected mass grave sites thought to hold the bodies of up to 1,700 soldiers killed by Islamic State (IS) militants in the city of Tikrit.
- ISIL Massacres: Iraqi Soldiers Discover More Mass Graves Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- Iraqi forensic teams have started exhuming bodies from mass graves in Tikrit, believed to hold 1,700 soldiers captured and killed by the self-proclaimed Islamic State last June.
- UN relief wing spotlights deteriorating health situation for conflict-affected Ukrainians UN News 07 Apr 2015 -- The deteriorating health situation for internally displaced and others impacted by the conflict in Ukraine has drawn the serious concern of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), a UN spokesperson reported today.
- Security Council condemns Boko Haram attacks in northeast Nigeria, Chad UN News 07 Apr 2015 -- The members of the United Nations Security Council condemned today in the strongest terms the spate of recent terrorist attacks perpetrated by Boko Haram in northeast Nigeria and Chad.
- Japan dismisses neighbors' objections over revised textbooks Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- Japan has dismissed objections over its newly-approved textbooks for junior high schools from neighboring South Korea and China, which say the books distort history by laying claims to disputed islands.
- Cyprus: UN special envoy sees 'no obstacle' to early resumption of talks UN News 07 Apr 2015 -- The Secretary-General's Special Adviser on Cyprus, Espen Barth Eide, told reporters in Nicosia today that he sees no obstacle to a very early resumption of talks between Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot negotiators once the elections in the north of the country are over.
- Vietnam Party Chief Visits China After Maritime Dispute VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Nguyen Phu Trong, the head of Vietnam's ruling Communist Party, have met in Beijing as part of efforts to repair relations that have been strained over maritime disputes in the South China Sea.
- Unclassified Computers Vulnerable to Hackers, White House Says VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- The White House acknowledged Tuesday that the unclassified computer systems at the U.S. presidential mansion were vulnerable to hackers.
- Will US Congress Help, Hurt Iran Nuclear Deal? VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- A growing number of U.S. lawmakers of both political parties say Congress should have an up-or-down vote if a final accord is reached on Iran's nuclear program. Even as the Obama administration braces for months of intensive international negotiations with Iran, it is also fighting to ensure that congressional actions do not torpedo the diplomatic effort.
- Motahari: Ambiguities on Lausanne's meeting were removed IRNA 07 Apr 2015 -- Majlis Representative Ali Motahari said on Tuesday that ambiguities on nuclear issues in Lausanne were removed in today's meeting.
- Moniz provides scientific defense of Iran deal at White House ISNA 07 Apr 2015 -- The emerging nuclear deal with Iran is a "forever agreement", said US Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz.
- Most MPs support Iran-P5+1 statement: Lawmaker Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- The majority of parliamentarians in Iran's Majlis are pleased with the achievements made during the recent round of talks between Tehran and six powers over Tehran's nuclear program, a senior Iranian legislator says.
- IRGC commander praises Iranian negotiators' efforts in nuclear talks Press TV 07 Apr 2015 -- The commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has praised the Iranian negotiating team's diplomatic efforts for defending Iran's right to pursue a peaceful nuclear program in the talks with the P5+1 countries in Switzerland.
- United States Says Iran Sanctions Would Be Phased Out RFE/RL 07 Apr 2015 -- The United States says economic sanctions on Iran would be gradually phased out if a final nuclear agreement is reached between Tehran and six world powers before the June 30 deadline.
- Obama: Iran Could Build Bomb After 13 Years VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama said Iran would be kept at least a year away from being able to build a nuclear weapon for more than a decade due to a framework deal agreed upon last week. However, he conceded Tuesday the buffer period shrinks to almost nothing after 13 or more years.
- Obama: Iran's Recognition of Israel Not to Be Part of Nuclear Deal VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama has rejected a call by Israel that any final nuclear agreement with Iran include a "clear and unambiguous Iranian commitment of Israel's right to exist."
- Pakistan Has Complicated Nuclear Relationship With Saudi Arabia, Iran VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- Iran's foreign minister is due to arrive in Pakistan Wednesday to discuss the conflict in Yemen, which many see as a fight for influence between regional rivals Iran and Saudi Arabia. Iran also has recently reached a framework nuclear agreement with six world powers. Saudi Arabia, in the past, reportedly has sought to form its own nuclear alliances to counter a perceived Iranian threat.
- Large Crowds Honor Nemtsov at Memorial Near Kremlin VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- Hundreds of people paid their respects Tuesday to the memory of opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, who was assassinated in February just meters from the Kremlin.
- Slain Kremlin Foe Boris Nemtsov Honored 40 Days After Death RFE/RL 07 Apr 2015 -- Russians sympathetic to slain opposition politician Boris Nemtsov have honored the Kremlin foe 40 days after he was shot dead.
- Georgia's Kists Demand Action To Stop Pankisi Youth Joining IS RFE/RL 07 Apr 2015 -- Kists, ethnic Chechens from Georgia's Pankisi Gorge, have called on the authorities in Tbilisi to put measures in place to stop local youth being recruited to fight alongside the Islamic State (IS) group in Syria.
- Jury Deliberations Begin in Boston Bombings Trial VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- U.S. jurors began deliberations Tuesday in the trial of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a day after both the prosecution and defense told the court he deserves to be punished.
- Kyrgyz Mark Fifth Anniversary Of Revolution RFE/RL 07 Apr 2015 -- Kyrgyzstan has marked the fifth anniversary of a popular revolution that ousted authoritarian President Kurmanbek Bakiev.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|