04 April 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Nellis breaks ground on DOD's largest solar array AFNS 04 Apr 2015 -- Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, hosted a groundbreaking ceremony March 24 for the newest Air Force solar array, a photovoltaic farm named Nellis II. The system, upon completion, will provide 19 megawatts of direct current capacity to the base, making it the largest photovoltaic system in the Department of Defense.
- US Tested Largest Bunker Buster Bomb Ahead of Iran Nuclear Talks Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- The Pentagon upgraded and tested the United States' largest bunker buster, which could potentially destroy Iran's nuclear facilities, while Washington attempted to reach a diplomatic deal with the Islamic Republic, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday, citing senior US officials.
- NATO Trains New 'High Readiness' Task Force Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- With many countries in Eastern Europe on edge over increased military activity, NATO has decided to form a new fighting force designed to respond swiftly in the face of threats.
- Russia Deploys Air Defense Systems in Arctic Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia has already deployed air defense missile and artillery weapon systems Pantsir (SA-22 Greyhound) and plans to place MiG-31 (Foxhound) interceptor aircraft in the Arctic region, deputy head of Russian Aerospace Defence Forces said on Saturday.
- US Scholar Points to Russia's Military Drills as 'Provocative' VOA 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia's relations with the West have sunk to the lowest level since the end of Cold War, since Russia's annexation of the Crimean peninsula in 2014 and Moscow's involvement in continuous armed conflict in eastern Ukraine, in which it is providing support for separatist rebels who are fighting Kyiv government forces.
- Ban commends successes of mine action, calls for more support to eradicate explosives threat UN News 04 Apr 2015 -- As the world marks the 10th anniversary of the International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action today, the United Nations Secretary-General pointed to a decade of much progress in efforts towards eradicating the threat of anti-personnel landmines.
- Yemen bombing rages on as humanitarian crisis emerges People's Daily 04 Apr 2015 -- As the Saudi-headed bombing against Yemen's Shiite Houthi group continues on Saturday for the 10th day, another major humanitarian catastrophy is in the making.
- Securing key Yemeni strait top Egyptian priority: Sisi Press TV 04 Apr 2015 -- Egypt says securing access to the Red Sea through Bab al-Mandab Strait off Yemen's coast is top priority, nine days after Cairo joined the Saudi-led military aggression against Yemen.
- Russia submits draft resolution, calling for pause in Saudi raids on Yemen Press TV 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia has submitted a draft resolution to the UN Security Council (UNSC) urging a humanitarian halt in the deadly Saudi airstrikes in Yemen to allow the evacuation of foreign nationals in the country.
- Saudi warplanes airdrop more arms to militants in Yemen Press TV 04 Apr 2015 -- Saudi military aircraft have hit more targets in Yemen, airdropping further arms to militants as the Riyadh regime continues its military aggression against the impoverished Arab country.
- Russia Calls For Pause In Yemen Air Strikes RFE/RL 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia has urged the UN Security Council to call for a pause in air strikes on Yemen, as a Saudi-led coalition pounded rebels in the country for a 10th day.
- Saudi Arabia Rejects Yemen-Wide Arms Embargo Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- Saudi Arabia's representative at the United Nations rejected calls for a countrywide arms embargo on Yemen as the conflict's civilian death toll rises.
- Russia Denies Allegation of Sending Yemen Military Aid on Evacuation Planes Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia did not use the passenger planes that evacuated people from Yemen to deliver 'military equipment' to Houthi fighters, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN Vladimir Safronkov said Saturday.
- Violence in Yemen Rages on as Fights in Conflict-Torn Country Continue Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- Hostilities in Yemen are raging on as the clashes between the conflicting parties continue, Yemeni Foreign Minister Riyadh Yassin told Sputnik on Saturday.
- Russia Calls for Pause in Yemen Airstrikes to Provide Humanitarian Aid Sputnik 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia on Saturday presented a draft resolution to the UN Security Council, calling for a humanitarian pause in the Saudi-led airstrikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen, a source in a Western delegation said.
- Russia, Red Cross Urge Humanitarian Pause in Yemen Fighting VOA 04 Apr 2015 -- Russia and the Red Cross are calling on Saudi Arabia to pause its military campaign against Houthi rebels in Yemen to allow for safe deliveries of civilian aid and the evacuation of foreigners.
- Russia's Lavrov Calls For Pullback Of More Weapons In Ukraine RFE/RL 04 Apr 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has proposed that both sides in the conflict in Ukraine withdraw weapons of under 100 mm caliber from the line of contact as a way of boosting confidence in a February cease-fire.
- UN expresses 'outrage' at 'heinous' Al Shabaab attack on Kenyan university UN News 04 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations has condemned the terrorist attack carried out by Al Shabaab in Garissa, Kenya, in the strongest terms, with the Security Council members stressing their "outrage" at what the President of the General Assembly called a "heinous" attack.
- Iran to abide by its promises if G5+1 group fulfills its obligations: Rouhani ISNA 04 Apr 2015 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said the Islamic Republic will observe its obligations as per the recent joint statement agreed upon with the G5+1 countries in Switzerland, provided that the other side abides by its obligations as well.
- Negotiator: Embargo to be lifted on first day of implementing N. deal ISNA 04 Apr 2015 -- Senior Iranian nuclear negotiator said Lausanne statement includes lifting sanctions on Iran and continuation of Arak Heavy Water Reactor activities.
- Iran framework nuclear agreement applauded People's Daily 04 Apr 2015 -- World leaders welcomed a framework nuclear agreement clinched Thursday between international brokers and Iran, saying it paves the way for a final comprehensive pact by the end of June.
- Iran says committed to promises in nuclear talks as regional nations hail breakthrough People's Daily 04 Apr 2015 -- Iran will honor its promises to world powers at the nuclear talks provided that the other parties do the same, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Friday.
- White House Confident On Final Iranian Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 04 Apr 2015 -- The White House says it is confident final details on a deal to curb Iran's nuclear program can be worked out.
- Obama: Iran Deal Result of 'Tough, Principled Diplomacy' VOA 04 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama says the framework nuclear deal reached with Iran is a 'good deal' that was reached through 'tough, principled diplomacy.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|