03 April 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 03 Apr 2015 [PDF]
- U.S., Coalition Forces Continue Airstrikes Against ISIL AFPS 03 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- AFSBn-Afghanistan builds, maintains infantry company equipment set for rapid issue Army News 03 Apr 2015 -- Army Field Support Battalion Afghanistan's primary mission under Operation Drumbeat was to retrograde excess equipment from Combined Joint Operations Area-Afghanistan in accordance with Department of Army directives.
- USS Gary - U.S. Coast Guard Team Stops More Than 5200 Kilos of Cocaine NNS 03 Apr 2015 -- USS Gary (FFG 51), her embarked Helicopter Squadron and U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment successfully intercepted a suspected narcotic-trafficking vessel in international waters off the coast of Central America in early March.
Defense Policy / Programs
- CSAF discusses Air Force's need to reset AFNS 03 Apr 2015 -- The Air Force Association hosted its monthly Air Force breakfast with Gen. Mark A. Welsh III, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, as the key note speaker, April 2, at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, Virginia.
- U.S., ROK Marines strengthen alliance through annual exercise USMC News 03 Apr 2015 -- Republic of Korea and U.S. Marines completed a large-scale bilateral exercise here April 1.
- Carter: Demographics, Economics Boost Asia's Global Profile AFPS 03 Apr 2015 -- Demographic changes in Asia will make the region more important to the United States, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said at the State Department recently.
- Statement on Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Upcoming Travel to Asia DoD 03 Apr 2015 -- Over the next two months, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter will make two visits to Asia to affirm defense relationships with allies and build upon key initiatives of the rebalance to the region.
- DESRON 26 Aims to Maximize Proficiency with Joint Warrior Training NNS 03 Apr 2015 -- The Commodore and his staff are getting used to this.
- USS Mustin Shares Navy Life with Japan NNS 03 Apr 2015 -- Sailors aboard the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Mustin (DDG 89) welcomed approximately 4,700 Japanese visitors for the 22nd annual Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka's (CFAY) Spring Festival, March 29.
- USS Antietam to Experience Hong Kong NNS 03 Apr 2015 -- The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54) arrived in Hong Kong for a port visit, April 3.
- U.S. 3rd Fleet Hosts Staff Talks for Maritime Defense NNS 03 Apr 2015 -- Commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet, Vice Adm. Kenny Floyd met with U.S. Coast Guard Vice Adm. Charles W. Ray, commander, USCG Pacific Area (PACAREA), and Royal Canadian Navy Rear Adm. William Truelove, commander, Maritime Forces Pacific (MARPAC), March 31-April 1 for the sixth annual Three-Party Staff Talks (TPST).
- NATO military buildup in Europe unprecedentedly dangerous: Russia Press TV 03 Apr 2015 -- Russia has strongly criticized as "unprecedentedly dangerous" NATO military buildup in Eastern Europe, saying it violates a treaty between Moscow and the alliance.
- Russian Security Service to Receive Two New Border Guard Ships Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- Russia's aviation, navy, missile and artillery units will exercise retaliatory missile and air strikes on a simulated enemy during drills in the country's east, the press service of Russia's Eastern Military District said Friday.
- Russian Army to Exercise Retaliatory Missile Strikes at 'Enemy' in East Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- District spokesperson Colonel Alexander Gordeev said the military drills would involve 'more than 20,000 troops and up to 7,000 units of weapons, military and special equipment that will perform practical tasks in seven regions of [Russia's] Transbaikal and the Far East.'
- S-300 Missile Systems to Participate in Victory Day Parade in Kaliningrad Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- A total of 70 weapon units of the Baltic Fleet will be involved in the event, including T-72 tanks, Tochka-M missile systems, and Grad multiple rocket launchers.
- Russian Tu-142 Antisubmarine Aircraft to Be Updated to 2020 Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- The modernization will include on-board radio-electronic systems of the aircraft. Parameters of the antisubmarine complex, the navigation system and the weapons control system will be improved
- Russia's Siberian Air Defense Units Launch S-300 Repelling 'Enemy' Attack Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- The drills were conducted in a 'complex target environment' simulating 'simultaneous attacks from different directions and altitudes,' the EMD said in a statement.
- Firing drills featuring hypersonic S-300V4 missile system to be held in Russia's south TASS 03 Apr 2015 -- The S-300V4 air defense missile systems that can launch hypersonic missiles will be involved in field firing exercises at the Kapustin Yar range in the Astrakhan region, Southern Russia, in April-May, head of the tactical air defense Lieutenant General Alexander Leonov told TASS on Friday.
- Almost 300,000 contract servicemen in Russian Armed Forces - Defense Ministry TASS 03 Apr 2015 -- Russian army will soon increase its contract personnel number to 300,000. This year, the Russian Defense Ministry plans to replace all junior command personnel with contract servicemen, head of the ministry's main personnel department Viktor Goremykin told reporters on Friday.
- Russian Army getting new radioelectronic warfare systems to cover Arctic areas TASS 03 Apr 2015 -- Advanced radioelectronic warfare complexes of the Krasukha family will help Russian Army units to cover the Arctic areas, the press service of the KRET corporation for radioelectronic technologies said on Thursday.
- PLA wants Party organs to help improve combat training People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army(PLA) asked Party departments to play a bigger role in improving combat capacity, a document published by the PLA General Political Department said.
- Navy to get 3 new nuclear subs People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Three cutting-edge nuclear-powered attack submarines have been manufactured and will soon be commissioned by the Chinese navy, according to media reports.
- New navy escort fleet leave for Gulf of Aden People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- The 20th fleet from China's navy left east China's port city Zhoushan for the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somali to escort civil ships.
- Show of Force: Chinese Navy Rescues Foreigners from Yemen's Aden Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- In an unprecedented move, the Chinese military sent a warship to Yemen to evacuate 225 foreign nationals from the conflict-ridden country.
- DPRK test-fires 4 short-range missiles People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea on Friday test-fired four short-range missiles into its western waters, a South Korean Defense Ministry official said.
- China objects after US fighter jets land in Taiwan People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- China's Foreign Ministry protested after two US fighter planes made a rare landing at an airport in southern Taiwan on Wednesday.
- Two U.S. fighter jets depart Taiwan after emergency landing People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Two U.S. navy F-18 fighters departed from Taiwan on Friday two days after a rare emergency landing at an airport in southern Taiwan due to mechanical problems reported by one of the jets, Taiwan's military said.
- China, France vow to boost military cooperation People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Chief of the General Staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army Fang Fenghui and visiting French Navy Chief of Staff Bernard Rogel agreed on Friday to enhance cooperation in joint drills and training and combating maritime terrorism.
- US Favors Japan in Aussie Sub Tender Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- Japan's chances of winning a multibillion tender to build submarines for Australia are being boosted by Washington's strategic ambitions in Asia, giving Tokyo an edge over competitors from Germany and France, defense and industry sources said.
- Pakistan Undecided on Joining Saudi-Led Coalition in Yemen - Envoy Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- Last week, Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam confirmed that the Kingdom had asked Pakistan to join the coalition that has been conducting airstrikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen since last Wednesday.
- Vietnamese premier points to importance of Russia-Vietnam cooperation in defense sector TASS 03 Apr 2015 -- Russia continues to be one of Vietnam's major partners in the field of military and industrial cooperation, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung told TASS on Friday in the run-up to the official visit of Russian Premier Dmitry Medvedev to Vietnam that begins on Sunday.
- April 3, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 03 Apr 2015
- Gaggle with the Principal Deputy Press Secretary en route Andrews Air Force Base The White House 03 Apr 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for April 03, 2015
- India and France will jointly develop short-range surface-to-air missile - media TASS 03 Apr 2015 -- India's council on defense procurement has approved plans of developing a Maitri short-range surface-to-air missile jointly with France, The Hindu reported Friday.
- Saudi Strikes Drive Houthis From Central Aden VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Fighters loyal to internationally recognized Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi have pushed Houthi militants out of the center of Aden and control most of the southern port city.
- Is the Saudi war on Yemen legal? IRIN 03 Apr 2015 -- In all the media coverage surrounding the Saudi Arabian-led bombing campaign in Yemen in recent days, few have stopped to ask a fundamental question: Is it legal?
- Yemen - who's who? IRIN 03 Apr 2015 -- A week ago, a coalition of 10 countries led by Saudi Arabia began to bomb Yemen. The unrest involves several different actors and constantly changing allegiances. Here is IRIN's guide to the major players in the conflict and a reading list to help unravel the complex reasons behind it:
- Saudi warplanes airdrop weapons to militants in Yemen Press TV 03 Apr 2015 -- Saudi military aircraft have dropped weapons to militants in the southern port city of Aden, as Riyadh pushes ahead with its military campaign against the impoverished Arab country.
- Houthi Rebels Pull Out of Center of Aden, Amid Saudi-led Airdrops VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Fighters loyal to internationally recognized Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi have pushed Houthi militants out of the center of Aden and control most of the southern port city.
- What's Next for Iraqi Forces After Retaking Tikrit? VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- After ousting Islamic State militants from the city of Tikrit, Iraqi forces still must reclaim large areas of the west and north. A major goal for government forces and the sectarian militias and U.S. airpower backing them is Mosul, the largest city under militant control. But whether the next offensive will target Mosul directly or work towards it through an interim objective is open to question.
- Iran Nuclear Framework Praised; Tough Negotiations Ahead VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Iran and six world powers have entered the final phase of negotiations to reach a comprehensive agreement on Tehran's nuclear program. Negotiators have agreed on key elements for a final joint plan of action that they hope to create by a June 30 deadline. Analysts have applauded the level of detail in the framework plan, but say tough work lies ahead.
- Rouhani speaks of 4-stage plan on nuclear deal IRNA 03 Apr 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani underlined on Friday that all the UN and economic, financial and banking sanctions against Iran would be lifted after a final nuclear deal between Iran and the six world powers goes into effect.
- Rouhani says Iran respects its promises IRNA 03 Apr 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said Friday the world should know that Islamic Republic is not deceptive and liar. "Any promises we give will be within framework of our national interests and we will live up to our promises provided that the opposite side abides by its promises as well," Rouhani said.
- Iran's Zangeneh impatient for removal of sanctions Press TV 03 Apr 2015 -- The prospects for Iran to return to the global oil market thanks to the success in Lausanne talks with P5+1 appear to have already made officials in Tehran look for the light at the end of the tunnel.
- Framework Agreement Leaves Loose Ends RFE/RL 03 Apr 2015 -- At first glance, the framework nuclear deal reached between Iran and world powers was more comprehensive and detailed than expected.
- For Iran, Was It Worth The Wait? RFE/RL 03 Apr 2015 -- For many years, Iranian officials steadfastly insisted on their country's right to enrich uranium. That position - coupled with a deep suspicion around the world Iran was covertly developing a nuclear weapon - effectively turned the country into a pariah state.
- Israel Calls Iran Nuclear Deal 'Very Dangerous,' As Many In Tehran Celebrate RFE/RL 03 Apr 2015 -- Israel has described a framework deal aimed at restricting Iran's nuclear activities as 'a step in a very, very dangerous direction.'
- Iran Will Keep Its Promises on Nuclear Program - President Rouhani Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- Tehran will abide by a framework agreement on its contested nuclear program that was reached with six world powers in the Swiss city of Lausanne if 'the other side keeps its promises', Iranian President Hasan Rouhani said Friday.
- Iranian President Praises Nuclear Deal VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has praised the framework agreement reached Thursday on Tehran's nuclear program, calling it a 'day that will remain in the historical memory of the Iranian nation.'
- Saudis May Go Nuclear to Counter Iran Despite Deal VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Washington's reassurances that the framework nuclear deal reached Thursday will prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear bomb may not be enough to keep Saudi Arabia from taking increasingly bold steps to counter Tehran.
- Nigerian Refugees Pin Hopes on Buhari VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Many of the 200,000 Nigerian refugees now living in Cameroon say they expect their new president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari to end the Boko Haram insurgency that drove them from their homes.
- China Indicts Ex-Security Chief VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Chinese authorities have formally indicted former security chief Zhou Yongkang, once one of China's most powerful political figures. Zhou is the highest-ranking politician in China to face charges in more than three decades and the biggest catch to date in Chinese President Xi Jinping's expansive anti-corruption drive.
- Zhou Yongkang charged with bribery, abuse of power, intentional disclosure of state secrets People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Zhou Yongkang was charged with bribery, abuse of power and intentional disclosure of state secrets, the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) said
- Turkey's Opposition Party Gains Political Traction VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- This week across Turkey, hundreds of thousands of members of the Republican People's Party, or CHP, turned out in primaries to choose candidates for June's general election. The unexpectedly high turnout and enthusiasm for the unprecedented primaries was a widely acknowledged success.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|