02 April 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 02 Apr 2015 [PDF]
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Reaper deploys live weapons on maritime training target AFNS 02 Apr 2015 -- An MQ-9 Reaper successfully hit a sea-going target with an AGM-114 Hellfire missile during a joint service training exercise over the Gulf of Mexico on March 17.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Phone Call with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian DoD 02 Apr 2015
- USNS Comfort Deploys for Continuing Promise 2015 NNS 02 Apr 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) departed Norfolk, Virginia, April 1 for a six-month deployment in support of Continuing Promise 2015 (CP-15).
- George H.W. Bush Conducts Training Exercises NNS 02 Apr 2015 -- The aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) departed its homeport of Norfolk to support carrier qualification (CQ) operations for members of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7, in the Atlantic Ocean, April 1.
- Russia Slams NATO Military Buildup in Europe as 'Unprecedentedly Dangerous' Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- NATO military buildup in Eastern Europe is an unprecedentedly dangerous move, which violates all existing agreements, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Russia will launch first sattelite of Missile Attack Warning System in July-December 2015 TASS 02 Apr 2015 -- Russian Defense Ministry has issued a report on a forthcoming expansion of the national orbital grouping of the space echelon of the Missile Attack Warning System (MAWS).
- Updated Ka-27 Helicopter to Join Russian Navy in 2015 Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- A batch of Kamov Ka-27 ship-based antisubmarine warfare helicopters will be repaired and upgraded by the Russian Helicopters Holding Company, with the first updated units slated to enter service already before the end of this year, the company press service said Thursday.
- Construction of New Missile Ship for Russian Navy to Begin in April Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- According to the plan of the Russian navy command, small-size missile ships of project 21631 will be used in task forces or separately to secure the near maritime zone.
- Russian Air Force tactical maneuvers begin in Armenia TASS 02 Apr 2015 -- Russia's Air Force launched tactical maneuvers in Armenia on Thursday. The Southern Military District pilots are drilling combat tasks at Russia's airbase Erebuni using the MiG-29 fourth-generation frontline fighters, a district spokesman told TASS, adding that the exercise is conducted at the Kamkhud and Alagyaz ranges.
- Russia's new military doctrine requires coordination with Belarus - official TASS 02 Apr 2015 -- Russia's cooperation with Belarus in the military sphere may have to be adjusted in the wake of the adoption of Russia's new military doctrine, the state secretary of the Union State of Russia and Belarus, Grigory Rapota, told the media in Minsk on Thursday.
- Russian airborne crack troops to practise survival near North Pole TASS 02 Apr 2015 -- Two Russian airborne divisions are making preparations for sending some of their best men for a survival exercise in the Arctic, airborne troops spokesman Yevgeny Meshkov told the media on Thursday. Currently, selected groups servicemen at the airborne divisions stationed near Pskov and Ivanovo are practising skills of survival after falling into the water at extremely low temperatures.
- Western media reports on Russian 'nuclear threat' not serious - Kremlin TASS 02 Apr 2015 -- Western media publications on the alleged nuclear threat from Russia should not be taken seriously, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday.
- Joint Warrior military exercise to take place UK MOD 02 Apr 2015 -- A large bi-annual military exercise is set to take place across various UK locations next week, involving the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Airforce
- PLA's Air Force drill over the high seas to be a standard practice People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force successfully completed its first ever military drill in the airspace above the west Pacific Ocean on Monday, and returned to base later the same day.
- Pakistan Walks Tightrope Over Yemen Crisis VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- When Saudi Arabia calls Pakistan for help in its hour of need, the bell rings loudly, especially in the office of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who owes his freedom, and some say his life, to the Saudi royal family.
- Pakistan Faces Tough Choices Over Yemen Intervention RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- Pakistan is grappling with a dilemma: should it join a Sunni Arab military coalition fighting Shi'ite Huthi rebels in Yemen, or keep its troops at home?
- Iran defense chief dismisses U.S. threat of military action People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- Iran's Defense Minister Hossein Dehqan on Thursday shrugged off his U.S. counterpart's threat of military action against Tehran in case nuclear talks fail.
- Iran vows 'decisive' response to any threat Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- The Iranian defense minister has lashed out at his US counterpart for threatening military action against Iran amid diplomatic efforts to reach a deal on Tehran's nuclear issue, saying the Islamic Republic will respond "decisively" to any threat.
- Security Trumps Democracy in US Arms Sale to Egypt VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama has resumed sales of big ticket military items to Egypt, citing U.S. national security interests in the increasingly chaotic Middle East. Washington has difficulty keeping balance between supporting democracy and countering terrorist threats in the region.
- Venezuela Plans to Buy More Russian Weapons Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro plans to buy more weapons produced in Russia and China, saying the nation should step up its defense against foreign threats.
- 2 April 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Apr 2015
- As Yemen conflict intensifies, UN relief chief urges all sides to do more to protect civilians UN News 02 Apr 2015 -- Extremely concerned for the safety of civilians caught in the midst of "fierce fighting" in Yemen, the United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator called today on all parties involved to meet their obligations under international law and do their utmost to protect the ordinary women, children and men who are suffering the consequences of the conflict.
- Rouhani urges end to Saudi aggression on Yemen Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- Iranian president Hassan Rouhani has called on regional governments, particularly Iraq, to press for an end to the ongoing aggression by Saudi Arabia against Yemen.
- Al-Qaeda frees 300 inmates in raid on Yemen prison Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- Al-Qaeda militants have raided a prison in Yemen and freed hundreds of inmates, including a senior terrorist leader, as Takfiri elements are using the Saudi-led aggression to fuel the unrest across the Arab country.
- Houthis deny reports of foreign troops landing in Aden Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- Yemen's Houthi movement has rejected earlier media reports that dozens of foreign troops have disembarked in the country's southeastern port city of Aden, Press TV reports.
- Houthis capture presidential palace in Aden: Sources Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- Security sources say Ansarullah fighters of Yemen's Houthi movement have managed to take control of the presidential palace in the southern city of Aden.
- Saudi Arabia removes border fences with Yemen: Reports Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has reportedly removed border fences with Yemen in a measure that could suggest Riyadh is preparing for a ground invasion of its southern neighbor days after unleashing airstrikes against the violence-hit country.
- Houthis Say Control 90% of Territory in Port of Aden Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- The Houthi forces operating in Yemen have gained control over 90 percent of the city of Aden, Houthi political council member Fadel Mutag said Thursday.
- Coalition Airstrikes in Yemen May Force Houthis to Attack Saudi Arabia Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- The Houthi rebel group that captured parts of Yemen will be forced to attack Saudi Arabia if coalition airstrikes under its leadership continue, a member of the Ansar Allah (commonly known as Houthi) political council warned Thursday.
- Houthis Take Control of Presidential Residence in Yemen Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- Houthis have taken control of the residence of Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the southern city of Aden, with clashes between the rebels and groups loyal to Hadi having killed 15 people, a local source has told Sputnik Arabic.
- Houthi Rebels Capture Presidential Palace in Aden VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- Yemeni officials say Shi'ite Houthi rebels and their allies fought their way through the center of Aden Thursday and seized the presidential palace in the key southern port city.
- Iraq Claims Capture Of Tikrit RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- The Iraqi government has claimed victory over Islamic State (IS) militants in Tikrit after a month-long battle for the city.
- Syria: UN agency warns violence near refugee camp endangering thousands of Palestinians UN News 01 Apr 2015 -- Fierce fighting has erupted between armed groups in the area of Yarmouk, a camp of Syrian and Palestinian refugees, putting thousands of people in danger, warned the spokesperson of the United Nations agency tasked with the ensuring the well-being of Palestinians across the Middle East.
- US Uses Ukraine Conflict to Get Intelligence on Russian Military Technology Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- The US Army is hoping to benefit from the ongoing conflict in Ukraine in perhaps one unexpected way: by collecting what they say could be useful intelligence about Russian military technology.
- Myanmar apologizes to China over warplane bombing People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- Myanmar apologized to China on Thursday over a Myanmar warplane bombing that killed five Chinese in Lincang of southwest China's Yunnan Province.
- Security Council authorizes further downsizing of UN peacekeeping force in Liberia UN News 02 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council today adopted a resolution authorizing the third phase of a drawdown of the UN peacekeeping mission in Liberia to 3,590 military personnel and 1,515 police personnel, and deciding that the Mission's mandate would no longer include electoral support.
- S. Korean Official Casts Doubt on Inter-Korean Leaders Meeting VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- A senior South Korean official expressed doubt Thursday that an inter-Korean summit will happen during Russia's Victory Day ceremony next month.
- Press Availability in Lausanne, Switzerland, by John Kerry, Secretary of State US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2015
- Explainer: Five Key Points Of Iran Nuclear Commitments RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- Iran and six world powers said on April 2 that they had reached an agreement on 'key parameters' of a comprehensive nuclear agreement that must be finalized by June 30.
- Cotton Statement on Iran Nuclear Deal Senator Cotton 02 Apr 2015
- Feinstein Statement on Iran Nuclear Deal Senator Feinstein 02 Apr 2015
- Statement by Senator John McCain on Iran Nuclear Agreement Senator McCain 02 Apr 2015
- Senator Menendez Statement on Iran Nuclear Framework Senator Menendez 02 Apr 2015
- Obama must bring Iran nuclear deal to Congress: GOP senator Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- An influential Republican senator says he is moving forward with legislation that would prevent President Barack Obama from lifting sanctions against Iran until Congress reviews a nuclear deal.
- Iranian nation proved it will never give in to pressure: Zarif Press TV 02 Apr 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has praised the Iranian people for their resistance and steadfastness during the course of the negotiations over the Islamic Republic's nuclear program, saying that such conduct proved that the Iranian nation will not compromise on their interests.
- Reid Statement On Framework Reached with Iran Senator Reid 02 Apr 2015
- Iran, World Powers Agree On 'Key Parameters' Of Future Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- Iran and six world powers say they have reached an agreement on 'key parameters' of a comprehensive nuclear agreement that must be finalized by June 30.
- 'Framework' Deal Reached at Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- Iran and six world powers agreed to 'key parameters' for a preliminary deal involving Tehran's nuclear program Thursday, following eight days of talks in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Parameters for a Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action Regarding the Islamic Republic of Iran's Nuclear Program The White House 02 Apr 2015
- Statement by the President on the Framework to Prevent Iran from Obtaining a Nuclear Weapon The White House 02 Apr 2015
- Readout of the President's Call with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel The White House 02 Apr 2015
- Readout of the President's Call With King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud of Saudi Arabia The White House 02 Apr 2015
- Readout of the President's Calls with President Francois Hollande of France, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, and Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom The White House 02 Apr 2015
- Senior UN officials condemn terrorist attack against Kenyan university UN News 02 Apr 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the head of the United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization have strongly condemned this morning's terrorist attack on a university in north-eastern Kenya, with both officials expressing solidarity with the Kenyan people and urging swift justice for those responsible for the deadly attack.
- Officials: 147 Dead in Al-Shabab Attack in Kenya VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- Kenyan officials said Thursday that a daylong siege at a university in the country's northeast was over, leaving 147 people and four Islamist al-Shabab terrorists dead.
- Two US Women Held in Alleged Bomb Plot VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- Two New York City women have been charged with trying to build a homemade bomb to launch a terrorist attack in the United States.
- Buhari May Find it Hard to Change Nigeria VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- Change. It was the word printed on Nigerian billboards, shouted at rallies and uttered in greeting among supporters of Muhammadu Buhari and his All Progressives Congress party. And it worked. This week, Buhari made history by unseating incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan in a democratic election.
- France Pushes Secularism Training at Mosques After Terror Attacks VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- January's terrorist attacks in Paris and the hundreds of French joining jihadi groups overseas are lending new urgency to government efforts in France to shape a tolerant, western-oriented Islam that reflects the country's secular values.
- Statement by the President on Executive Order "Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities" The White House 02 Apr 2015
- China disagrees with U.S. sanctions program on overseas cyber attackers People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- China voiced disapproval of imposing sanctions on individuals or entities of foreign countries by passing national laws on Thursday.
- Xinhua Insight: China in fresh overseas fugitive hunt to contain corruption People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- The Fox Hunt 2015 campaign must close all exits for fugitives as China seeks to drive corruption into extinction, an anti-corruption expert has said.
- Lukashenka Says Belarus Will Never Be Part Of Russia RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country will never be part of Russia, despite what he portrayed as the imperialist designs of politicians in the former Soviet republic's giant eastern neighbor.
- Turkey's Latest Violence Becomes Political Flashpoint VOA 02 Apr 2015 -- Turkey was rocked this week by a series of incidents in the air and on the ground.
- Gazprom Chief Confirms New Deal With Ukraine RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- The head of Russian gas giant Gazprom has confirmed the signing of an agreement on gas supplies to Ukraine for the next three months.
- Gazprom Signs New Contract With Ukraine for 2Q15 Gas Supplies Sputnik 02 Apr 2015 -- Russia's gas giant Gazprom has signed a new contract with Ukraine's Naftogaz on fuel deliveries for the second quarter of 2015, Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller said Thursday.
- Thailand: UN rights chief warns against Government's 'draconian' powers UN News 02 Apr 2015 -- The top United Nations human rights official has expressed alarm at the Government of Thailand's decision to bestow wide-ranging powers upon General Prayuth Chan-ocha – the leader of the military coup that deposed Thailand's elected Government in 2014 and, currently, the country's Prime Minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|