01 April 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 01 Apr 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 01 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 01 Apr 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Altus Airmen, National Guard participate in joint exercise AFNS 01 Apr 2015 -- Airmen from Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma, participated in Operation Viking, a joint force exercise, on March 28.
- CNO Stresses Versatility of Independence Class LCS NNS 01 Apr 2015 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Jonathan Greenert and Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.) stressed the versatility of the Independence-Class Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) April 1 at a press conference on board Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola.
- Nations Meet to Plan 56th UNITAS Exercise NNS 01 Apr 2015 -- Navy representatives from seven countries gathered in Rio De Janeiro for the UNITAS Atlantic Initial Planning Conference March 30-Apr. 1.
- 1,000th F-35 training sortie flown at Luke AFB AFNS 01 Apr 2015 -- The 56th Fighter Wing flew its 1,000th F-35A Lightning II training sortie March 31, making it the fastest F-35 wing to reach the 1,000-sortie milestone in the Defense Department.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Phone Call with Japanese Minister of Defense Gen Nakatani DoD 01 Apr 2015
- USS Farragut Concludes Palma de Mallorca Port Visit NNS 01 Apr 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99) departed Palma de Mallorca, Spain, April 1, completing its second port visit while in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations.
- The 'Iron Nickel' is Decommissioned After 34 Years of Service NNS 01 Apr 2015 -- Hundreds of current and former crew members, 10 previous commanding officers, and their family members crowded onto the flight deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Peleliu (LHA 5) to bid farewell to the 'Iron Nickel' during the ship's decommissioning ceremony at Naval Base San Diego, March 31.
- USS Forrest Sherman Hosts Albanian Dignitaries NNS 01 Apr 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98) hosted a reception for senior Albanian defense officials aboard the ship March 31.
- US Navy Plans New Radar System for Aircraft Carriers Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- In an effort to reduce costs and increase commonalities across platforms, the US Navy is planning to put a new ship radar system on the second Ford-class aircraft carrier, the USS Kennedy, as well as the third big-deck America-class amphibious assault ship, dubbed LHA 8.
- Disaster Preparedness Mirrors Military Readiness, Official Says AFPS 01 Apr 2015 -- The Defense Department takes pride in its readiness to defend the nation against military threats, and also in its role as a partner in emergency and disaster response, a DoD official said.
- AF Nuclear Weapons Center reorganizes AFNS 01 Apr 2015 -- The Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center (AFNWC) reorganized its structure March 30, realigning responsibilities, authorities and accountability to better serve the nuclear enterprise.
- Russia's Eastern Military District Receives New Reconnaissance Station Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- The PSNR-8M stations can be used to detect objects located as far as 18.6 miles in low visibility and under any weather conditions.
- Russia's All-New Armata Tank Rolls Over the Competition - Stern Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- Even though its official debut at the May 9 Victory Day parade in Moscow is more than a month away, the world is are already heaping praise on the unique characteristics of Russia's all-new Armata tank.
- Russia's strategic aviation begins exercise featuring missile carrying cruisers, bombers TASS 01 Apr 2015 -- A headquarters exercise has begun on a major base of Russia's strategic aviation in the city of Engels, Saratov region in the Middle Volga area, Colonel Igor Klimov, the chief public relations officer of the Russian Air Force told reporters on Wednesday.
- Self-sufficient Russian military force to be formed in Arctic by 2018 - Defense Ministry TASS 01 Apr 2015 -- A self-sufficient military force will be formed in Russia's sector of the Arctic by 2018, a senior source at the Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Republic of Korea - AGM-114R1 Hellfire Missiles DCSA 01 Apr 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea for AGM-114R1 Hellfire Missiles and associated equipment, parts, training and logistical support for an estimated cost of $81 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on March 30, 2015.
- Romania to host NATO heavy military equipment - prime minister TASS 01 Apr 2015 -- Romania will host NATO heavy military equipment, Prime Minister Victor Ponta told journalists on Wednesday.
- Pakistan Navy to Purchase Eight New Submarines From China Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- The Pakistani government has approved the purchase of eight new submarines from China, with the intent of balancing India's expanding navy fleet.
- Antonov Company Confirms Five Missing Indian Planes Still in Ukraine Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- Ukraine's Antonov aircraft manufacturing company confirmed on Wednesday that five Indian Air Force An-32 military transports were currently undergoing repairs at one of its plants.
- Ukraine's Right Sector Ready to Be Transformed Into Army Assault Unit Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- the Ukrainian volunteer corps – could join the armed forces. According to him, the Right Sector would become part of the Ukrainian army only as an autonomous unit, coming under command of Yarosh and corps commander Andrei Stempitsky, refusing to join the National Guard of the Ukrainian Interior Ministry.
- Obama decides to resume military aid to Egypt People's Daily 01 Apr 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama told his Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Tuesday that he will allow the delivery of F-16 aircraft as well as request annual military aid to Egypt.
- US Weapons Supplies 'Help Strategic Plans' of Cairo, Washington – Sisi Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- On Tuesday, US President Barack Obama told his Egyptian counterpart Sisi during a telephone call that the United States would lift the executive holds, in place since October 2013, to deliver weapons to Egypt.
- White House Criticized for Resuming Weapons Deliveries to Egypt VOA 01 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama has lifted an 18-month weapons freeze on Egypt, prompting criticism from those concerned about rights abuses committed by the longtime Washington ally.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 04/01/15 The White House 01 Apr 2015
- 1 April 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 01 Apr 2015
- Yemenis rush to buy food and fuel as conflict escalates IRIN 01 Apr 2015 -- Yemen's war continued to escalate on Wednesday, with Saudi-led airstrikes in most major cities and firefights across the country.
- Deputy FM urges establishment of safe routs in Yemen IRNA 01 Apr 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab-African Affairs Hossein Amirabdollahian urged the international community to establish safe routs in Yemen for aiding civilians.
- Yemeni FM calls for deployment of Saudi-led ground troops Press TV 01 Apr 2015 -- Yemeni Foreign Minister Riyadh Yassin has called for the deployment of Saudi-led ground troops to his country amid the military aggression against Yemen.
- Iran calls for UN action against aggression on Yemen Press TV 01 Apr 2015 -- A senior Iranian official has called on the UN to take an immediate action against the Saudi-led war on Yemen, saying that the world body should use all it has in its capacity to end the aggression.
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes armed forces victory against ISIL in Tikrit UN News 01 Apr 2015 -- The top UN official in Iraq has welcomed the recent victories of the Iraqi Security Forces in liberating the town of Tikrit from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and associated armed groups.
- Syria pledging conference: Three key trends IRIN 01 Apr 2015 -- On Tuesday, international donors pledged a record US$3.8 billion towards humanitarian relief for the Syrian crisis, now in its fifth year. Here are three key trends from the conference.
- UN: Boko Haram Killed Female Hostages Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- While retreating from advancing military forces in Nigeria, Boko Haram slaughtered many women and girls they had taken as 'wives and captives.'
- Niger President: End of Boko Haram Is Near VOA 01 Apr 2015 -- Niger's President Mahamadou Issoufou said 'the end of Boko Haram is near.'
- 'Roots of conflict' must be addressed to defeat Boko Haram, says top UN rights official UN News 01 Apr 2015 -- Expansive economic, social and political opportunities are key to reducing Nigeria's smouldering ethnic and sectarian tensions and countering the growing threat posed by Boko Haram, the top United Nations human rights official declared today.
- International Criminal Court welcomes Palestine as State Party to the Rome Statute UN News 01 Apr 2015 -- The International Criminal Court (ICC) welcomed the Palestine as the 123rd State Party to its founding Rome Statute today, in a ceremony held at the seat of the Court in The Hague in The Netherlands.
- Iran's Zarif, US Kerry hold direct talks in Lausanne IRNA 01 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif and the US Secretary of State John Kerry held talks amid breathtaking negotiations over Tehran's nuclear program.
- Zarif says "very good" progress made in talks IRNA 01 Apr 2015 -- The six world powers and Iran have agreed on the principal issues during the nuclear negotiations in Lausanne, Switzerland, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavorv said overnight Wednesday. A framework agreement will be drafted and presented on Wednesday, he added.
- Iran says nuclear deal must guarantee removal of bans Press TV 01 Apr 2015 -- A senior Iranian negotiator says any deal with the P5+1 group of world powers on Tehran's nuclear program should certainly guarantee removal of all sanctions.
- Kerry, Zarif hold bilateral meeting: US Press TV 01 Apr 2015 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif have held bilateral talks in the Swiss city of Lausanne after a March 31 deadline for reaching a common understanding over sticking points has been extended, an American official says.
- Talks Continue After Deadline For Iran Nuclear Deal Missed RFE/RL 01 Apr 2015 -- Senior diplomats from six world powers and Iran have resumed marathon talks on Tehran's nuclear program in the Swiss resort city of Lausanne.
- Iran Talks Continue Past Deadline VOA 01 Apr 2015 -- Negotiators from Iran and a group of six world powers worked Wednesday to close the remaining gaps in their long-sought effort to reach a framework agreement on curbing Iran's nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
- Buhari: Nigeria Has 'Embraced Democracy' VOA 01 Apr 2015 -- While Nigeria woke to a new president-elect Wednesday, people said the real winner is democracy, as the country embarks on its first peaceful handover of power since the end of military rule in 1999.
- Jihadist Assassin says Goal of Tunisia Murders Was Chaos VOA 01 Apr 2015 -- The jihadist assassin of Tunisian secular party leader Mohamed Brahmi, who was shot dead in Tunis in 2013, says his murder and that of secular politician Chokri Belaid a few weeks earlier were designed to create chaos in the North African country.
- Cough Up the Docs: Poland Warned of Court Breach Over Secret CIA Jail Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- Poland has been warned that it must de-classify details of an investigation into a secret CIA jail in the country, or it will be in breach of a European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruling, according to the lawyer of a former inmate who was held at the facility.
- Russia Claims 'Take Or Pay' Gas Deal With Ukraine RFE/RL 01 Apr 2015 -- Russia's energy minister says his country has a 'take or pay' deal for natural gas with Ukraine that, in the absence of any fresh agreement, comes into effect on April 1.
- U.S. To Advocate Human Rights In Central Asia RFE/RL 01 Apr 2015 -- Deputy Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says the United States will 'continue to advocate for free media and more open political systems' in Central Asia, a strategic region that lies between Russia, China, Afghanistan, and Iran.
- Thai King Authorizes Lifting of Martial Law Sputnik 01 Apr 2015 -- Instead of the martial law, the ruling National Council for Peace and Order is going to introduce a special order on security measures, giving the current prime minister broad authorities and supremacy in all three branches of power.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|