Fugitive Hadi urges [P]GCC to intervene militarily in Yemen
Iran Press TV
Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:8AM
Yemen's fugitive president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, has reportedly called on Persian Gulf Arab countries to intervene militarily in Yemen against Ansarullah revolutionaries of Houthi movement.
Hadi asked for the military intervention of the [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council ([P]GCC) in Yemen after two fighter jets targeted his residence in the southern port city of Aden over the weekend, said Riad Yassin, who served as foreign minister in Hadi's cabinet.
Yassin made the remarks in an interview with two Saudi-owned media, Al-Hadath TV and Asharq al-Awsat newspaper on Monday.
Yassin stated that Yemen's fugitive president also made a request to the United Nations to impose a no-fly zone over the country in a bid to prevent Ansarullah revolutionaries from using airports in areas under their control.
"Time is not on our side," he added, saying the Houthis are continuing to advance towards Aden.
The remarks came ahead of an Arab Summit due to be held on March 28 and 29 in Egypt. It is not yet known if Hadi will be able to leave the strife-torn country for the summit.
Earlier in the day, Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal voiced concerns about the growing power of Ansarullah revolutionaries in Yemen, warning that Riyadh is ready to "take the necessary measures" against Houthis.
In late 2009 and early 2010, Riyadh launched airstrikes against the positions of Ansarullah revolutionaries near the Saudi border. Back then, Houthis were fighting Yemen's long-ruling dictator, Ali Abdullah Saleh, who was a staunch ally of the Saudi regime.
On Sunday, fighters of Ansarullah movement managed to take control of the southwestern Yemeni city of Ta'izz, a strategic city between the capital, Sana'a, and Aden, after defeating forces loyal to the country's fugitive president.
On the same day, leader of Ansarullah fighters Abdul-Malik al-Houthi said Saudi Arabia and Qatar are financing acts of terror in the Middle East region and beyond. He made the remarks after three bomb attacks left over 140 people killed and more than 350 others injured in Sana'a on March 20.
In late January, Hadi, along with the cabinet of Premier Khaled Bahah, stepped down over pressure from the Ansarullah revolutionaries, but the Yemeni parliament did not approve their resignation.
Hadi fled his home in the capital Sana'a on February 21 after weeks under effective house arrest and went to Aden, Yemen's second largest city, where he officially withdrew his resignation and highlighted his intention to resume duties.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|