31 March 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 31 Mar 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 31 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Georgians, U.S. deploy to Afghanistan to support NATO USMC News 31 Mar 2015 -- Georgian soldiers, alongside U.S. Marines, will deploy together as part of NATO's Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan after a ceremonial departure ceremony last Tuesday at Vaziani Training Area, approximately 180 kilometers south of Russia's border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at Syracuse University on the Force of the Future, Syracuse, New York DoD 31 Mar 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Carter Details 'Force of the Future' at Syracuse University AFPS 31 Mar 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter spoke with students, faculty and leaders at Syracuse University in New York this morning, describing his vision and plans for building the "Force of the Future."
- SERE training prepares aircrew for the worst AFNS 31 Mar 2015 -- The worst-case scenario has the potential of becoming an overwhelming reality for flight crews that fly in the Pacific area of responsibility (AOR).
- Department of Defense Releases Fourth Quarter 2014 Suicide Information DoD 31 Mar 2015 -- Today, the Department of Defense released the Quarterly Suicide Report (QSR) for the fourth quarter of calendar year 2014.
- NATO partners light up live-fire range USMC News 31 Mar 2015 -- The Spanish Marine Corps training facility in Sierra del Retin, Spain, hosted both U.S. and Spanish Marines for familiarization training that included a live-fire exercise with AT-4 anti-armor weapons, M240B machine guns, and M67 fragmentation grenades, March 24-27.
- USNS Comfort Deploys In Support of Continuing Promise 2015 NNS 31 Mar 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) is set to deploy from Norfolk, Virginia, this week to Central and South America and the Caribbean in support of Continuing Promise 2015 (CP-15) from April through October 2015.
- Air Force stands up Task Force Cyber Secure AFNS 31 Mar 2015 -- Chief of Staff of the Air Force General Mark A. Welsh III signed a memorandum on March 20, establishing Task Force Cyber Secure, to address challenges of the cyberspace domain in synchronization, operations and governance within the Air Force and with those organizations it supports.
- US air advisors pioneer new DOD training in Zambia AFNS 31 Mar 2015 -- Eight members of the 818th Mobility Support Advisory Squadron traveled to Lusaka, Zambia, to take part in a first of its kind Department of State training event, March 21.
- USNS Trenton (JHSV 5) Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 31 Mar 2015 -- The joint high speed vessel USNS Trenton (JHSV 5) completed acceptance trials at the Austal USA shipyard March 13, the Navy announced March 24.
- Congressional Delegation Visits Carl Vinson NNS 31 Mar 2015 -- The crew of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) welcomed a six-member Congressional delegation aboard the ship to observe underway operations and meet with Sailors, March 30.
- HSC-25 Rescues Distressed Swimmer NNS 31 Mar 2015 -- Sailors from Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 25 conducted a search-and-rescue (SAR) operation and recovered a distressed swimmer in the waters near Pagat Caves off the shores of Mangilao March 30.
- Pentagon Testing Drones That Can Launch from Ocean Floor Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is testing a drone that can hibernate on the ocean floor for years at a time before being launched to the surface and into the air at the push of a button.
- Pentagon supports joint military force with Arab countries Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has announced that the Pentagon is supporting and cooperating with the Arab League over the creation of a joint military force.
- US Backs Joint Arab Military Force, Ready to Cooperate Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- The United States has backed the Arab League's decision to create a joint military force to counter security threats in the Middle East, and will cooperate with it if need be, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said.
- Analyst: Joint-Arab Military Force Poses Perilous Challenge VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- For months, members of the Arab League have been calling for a joint military force to quell the violence engulfing the region. Now that member states have largely agreed, analysts say having the force materialize and preparing it to fight complex modern conflicts may be an insurmountable challenge.
- Readout of the President's Call with President al-Sisi of Egypt The White House 31 Mar 2015
- Russia's Borey-Class Subs Construction Not Subject to Budget Sequestration Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- Russia's Ministry of Defense previously said that a series of construction and weapon development programs could be subject to budget sequestration.
- Borey-Class Nuclear Submarines to Serve Russian Fleet Until 2050 Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- Eight Borey-class nuclear submarines will join the Russian Navy by 2020 and will be the backbone of Russia's marine nuclear forces.
- Final test launch of Russia's new RS-26 Rubezh ballistic missile successful - designer TASS 31 Mar 2015 -- The final test launch of Russia's solid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missile RS-26 in mid-March was successful, a senior official at the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology told TASS on Tuesday.
- Russian strategic missile force drills involve over 3500 troops TASS 31 Mar 2015 -- More than 3,500 troops and 300 equipment units are involved in maneuvers of the Orenburg missile formation, spokesman for the Russian Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN) Colonel Igor Yegorov told TASS on Tuesday.
- Russian airborne force unit to get new combat gear for Arctic mission TASS 31 Mar 2015 -- Paratroopers of the Airborne Forces formation in Ivanovo (Central Russia) will get new combat garments for the Far North and transpolar missions, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman for the VDV Lieutenant Colonel Yevgeny Meshkov said on Tuesday.
- China holds first air force drill in western Pacific Ocean Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- China says its air force has carried out a military maneuver for the first time over the western Pacific Ocean.
- Iran enjoys sustainable security in borders: Commander IRNA 31 Mar 2015 -- Commander of Iran's Border Guards Brigadier General Qasem Rezaei said the country enjoys sustainable security along its borders thanks to endeavors by the Iranian border guards.
- South Korea to Spend $769Mln on Upgrading US-Made Missile Defense System Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- South Korea has signed a $769 million dollar deal to upgrade its Patriot air and missile defense system, Raytheon announced in a statement.
- Home Built Taiwanese Warships Set Sail Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- The missile corvette and supply ship showed 'the government's determination to enhance our sea power' and improve shipbuilding capacity, President Ma Ying-jeou was quoted as saying by state-run Central News Agency.
- Ukraine to Draft About 21,000 Recruits in Spring - Defense Ministry Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- More than 12,000 recruits will join the Ukraine security forces, over 7,000 will join the National Guard, and 1,000 recruits will join the Special Transportation Service, the statement said, adding that new draftees would not serve in conflict zone in eastern Ukraine.
- Poland to Train Ukrainian Military Instructors Under NATO Program Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- The training will be held under the NATO Defenсe Education Enhancement Program (DEEP), a Ukraine program organized with several member-states of the bloc, Poland's defense ministry's spokesman said.
- Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 3/31/2015 The White House 31 Mar 2015
- 31 March 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 31 Mar 2015
- Yemen on verge of 'total collapse' says UN rights chief in wake of recent fighting UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights today expressed his concern about the fast deteriorating situation in Yemen, where dozens of civilians have been killed in fighting in recent days.
- UN, Aid Groups Plead for Yemeni Civilians' Safety VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations and international aid agencies are expressing alarm at the rapidly deteriorating human rights and humanitarian situation in Yemen, as Saudi-led airstrikes targeted Houthi Shi'ite rebels for the sixth day Tuesday.
- E. Africa Braces for Security Fallout from Yemen Conflict VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- Saudi-led coalition airstrikes against Houthi Shi'ite rebels in Yemen began last week, but already, security experts are warning that the conflict in Yemen might cause a new security challenge to East Africa.
- Saudi-Led Coalition May Carry Out Limited Ground Campaign in Parts of Yemen Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- A limited ground offensive may be carried out in parts of Yemen under the control of Houthi rebels, a spokesman of the Saudi-led joint operations command in the war-torn Gulf nation said Tuesday.
- Yemen on Verge of Total Collapse Amid Coalition's Airstrikes - UN Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- The rapidly deteriorating human rights situation in Yemen amid continued airstrikes by the international coalition, causing numerous casualties, has put the war-torn country on the verge of collapse, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Zeid Raad Al Hussein said on Tuesday.
- Iran Demands Halt To Saudi-Led Strikes, Calls For Dialogue In Yemen RFE/RL 31 Mar 2015 -- Iran has called for an "immediate halt" to the Saudi-led military operation against Shi'ite Huthi rebels in Yemen, warning that the 'attack' endangered the whole region.
- Iran brushes off claims of arms flow to Yemen Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- Iran has categorically dismissed as "sheer lies" allegations of weapons and ammunition delivery to Yemen.
- UN: Yemen on verge of complete collapse Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Zeid al-Hussein has warned that Yemen is on the brink of complete collapse amid Saudi-led airstrikes against the country.
- Iran decries Saudi military intervention in Yemen IRNA 31 Mar 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab-African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian on Tuesday expressed deep concern about the Saudi intervention in Yemen and subsequent humanitarian plight, saying political means are the only key to resolve the Yemeni crisis.
- Pakistan: We won't join anti-Yemen coalition IRNA 31 Mar 2015 -- Pakistan Defense Minister Khawaja Asif says his country has not yet decided on deploying military forces to Saudi Arabia and won't join a Saudi-led coalition in the aggression against Yemen.
- Iraq Declares Victory in Tikrit as Fighting Goes On VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- Fighting continued in the center of the strategic Iraqi city of Tikrit on Tuesday, even as Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared victory in the weeks-long battle to retake the city from the Islamic State group.
- Iraqi PM says northern city of Tikrit liberated Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi says units of government forces, backed by Shia and Sunni volunteer forces, have managed to retake control of the strategic northern city of Tikrit from the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group.
- Iraq forces retake government HQ in Tikrit: Officials Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi forces, backed by Shia volunteer forces, have managed to wrest control of the Salahuddin provincial government headquarters in the strategic northern city of Tikrit from ISIL Takfiri militants.
- Iraqi Forces Liberate Tikrit From Islamic State Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar Abadi declared victory over the Islamic State in the town of Tikrit northwest of Baghdad on Tuesday.
- U.S. Humanitarian Assistance in Response to the Syrian Crisis US Dept. of State 31 Mar 2015
- Syria: UN warns of humanitarian crisis in Idleb as fighting in city intensifies UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- The humanitarian situation in conflict-torn Syria is deteriorating even further amid reports that the city of Idleb has fallen to anti-government insurgents, a senior United Nations relief official has warned.
- Donors asked to dig deep for Syria IRIN 31 Mar 2015 -- High-level officials from 78 countries and more than 40 international organisations are gathering in Kuwait City to take part in the Third International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria on Tuesday, amid major concerns of funding shortages.
- Donors pledge $3.8 billion in aid to people affected by Syria crisis at UN-backed conference UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- In an expression of solidarity with the millions of children, women and men affected by the devastating conflict in Syria, now in its fifth year, international donors today pledged $3.8 billion at a United Nations-backed conference held in Kuwait.
- Libya: UN mission welcomes ceasefire, withdrawal of forces in Sidra Oil Crescent region UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has today welcomed the ceasefire and the withdrawal of forces from the Sidra Oil Crescent area, a move which follows weeks of mediation efforts between parties.
- Turkey Seen Taking Harder Stance Against Militant Kurds VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan appears to be taking an increasingly hard line toward militant Kurds with continued strikes against PKK military bases in Turkey. That stance comes as the president is being seen as moving closer to his generals.
- UN welcomes Myanmar's historic ceasefire agreement People's Daily 31 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations on Tuesday expressed welcome of the historic and significant signing of a draft nationwide ceasefire agreement (NCA) in Myanmar after negotiation for more than a year, said a statement of the UN Information Center.
- Draft nationwide ceasefire agreement preliminarily signed in Myanmar People's Daily 31 Mar 2015 -- Peace negotiators of the Myanmar government and ethnic armed groups preliminarily signed a seven- chapter draft nationwide ceasefire agreement (NCA) here Tuesday as a follow-up of finalization of negotiation on Monday.
- Myanmar's government, rebels sign draft ceasefire deal Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- Myanmar's government and representatives of over a dozen major armed rebel groups have signed a draft ceasefire deal that aims to end decades of civil war in the country.
- UN envoy lauds 'historic' Myanmar ceasefire as Government, armed groups build 'new levels of trust' UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- The latest ceasefire reached between the Government of Myanmar and 16 ethnic armed groups operating in the Asian country is "a historic and significant achievement," bringing to an end more than 60 years of conflict and hostilities, a United Nations envoy has declared.
- US Accuses China of 'Creating a Great Wall of Sand' Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- some of them submerged – and paving over them with concrete,' he said. In total, Harris said that China had converted over 4 square kilometers of sea into land.
- Argentina Complains to UN Over UK's 'Militarization' of Falklands Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- Argentina appeals to the United Nations and other international organizations to stop Britain's "militarization' of the Falkland Islands.
- UNICEF launches Ukraine mine awareness campaign amid ongoing civil conflict UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- An estimated 109 Ukrainian children have been injured and 42 others killed by landmines and unexploded ordinance resulting from the Eastern European country's ongoing civil conflict, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said today as it reported on the recent launch of its lifesaving mine awareness campaign.
- Iran Nuclear Talks Extended to Wednesday VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- Negotiators discussing the future of Iran's nuclear program agreed to continue talks seeking a preliminary deal into Wednesday, as stubborn disputes remained unresolved.
- Negotiators In Final Push Ahead Of Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline RFE/RL 31 Mar 2015 -- Negotiators from Iran and six world powers are in their final day of talks before a midnight deadline for a framework agreement to impose limits on Tehran's nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
- Iran, P5+1 Seeking to Find Mutually Beneficial Solutions at Nuclear Talks Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- Work to reach a political agreement on the long-sought comprehensive Iran nuclear deal may take longer that anticipated as several issues remain unresolved, a senior Iranian diplomat said Tuesday.
- Russia Launches Three Telecoms, One Military Satellites Into Orbit Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- A Rokot carrier rocket lifted off on Tuesday from the Plesetsk space center in northwestern Russia to deliver a trio of Gonets-M communications satellites and an unspecified military satellite into orbit, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Buhari Officially Declared Winner of Nigeria Presidential Election VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- Nigeria's electoral commission has officially declared presidential challenger Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC) the winner of Saturday's presidential election, defeating incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.
- Nigeria opposition wins presidential election Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- Nigeria's main opposition group All Progressives Congress (APC) has won the presidential election in the country, which is grappling with threats from the Boko Haram Takfiri militants.
- Nigeria's Jonathan Concedes After Results Show Buhari Near Victory VOA 31 Mar 2015 -- Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has called his rival, Muhammadu Buhari, to concede the election, a Buhari adviser and other officials said, after election results on Tuesday showed Buhari with an insurmountable lead.
- Ex-KGB Agent Kalugin: Putin Was 'Only A Major' RFE/RL 31 Mar 2015 -- Vladimir Putin is merely posing as a lieutenant colonel. The Russian president also oversaw war crimes in Chechnya and helped frame a prosecutor-general to derail a probe into massive Kremlin corruption. These are some of the claims made by Oleg Kalugin, a former high-ranking KGB officer and fierce critic of Putin in an interview
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|