08 March 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Defense Secretary Ash Carter's Phone Call with Canadian Minister of Defense Jason Kenney DoD 08 Mar 2015
- Russia Grows Maritime Potential, Returns to Global Geopolitics Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- Russia is growing its maritime potential, signaling its intention to regain geopolitical power as a naval force, according to experts.
- European Commission chief wants to create EU army Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- President of the European Commission (EC) Jean-Claude Juncker has called for the creation of a European Union army, amid tension with Russia over the crisis in Ukraine.
- Who is the Enemy? EC President Reportedly Wants to Form European Army Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker is advocating the creation of a Europe-wide army, Germany's Welt am Sonntag weekly reported Sunday.
- Spanish Fighter Jets to Fly Training Mission Over Estonia Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- Four Spanish Air Force Eurofighter Typhoon jets will fly a training sortie over Estonia Sunday as part of the so-called Baltic Air Police mission.
- UK Foreign Secretary Vows to Protect Baltic States From Russia Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- NATO will protect Baltic nations from Russia, UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond told BBC on Sunday.
- IRGC successfully test-fires land-based cruise missile IRNA 08 Mar 2015 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps on Saturday successfully test-fired land-based cruise missile.
- Iran unveils Soumar long-range cruise missile Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Iran has unveiled a new long-range land-to-land cruise missile, named Soumar, which has been designed and manufactured by domestic experts.
- Iran Unveils New Long-Range Cruise Missile Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- The Islamic Republic on Sunday unveiled the country's very own long-range cruise missile.
- Iran to unveil long-range S-200-tied missile defense system IRNA 08 Mar 2015 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country is to unveil a long-range missile defense system, connected to the S-200 missile system.
- Iran to Build Homegrown Version of Phalanx Close-in Weapon System Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- Iran keeps working to improve its military defense. Tehran plans to build its own version of the Phalanx, a close-in weapon system (CIWS), to defend its vessels from anti-ship missiles.
- Iraqi army, volunteer forces recapture northern village from ISIL Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi army and volunteer forces have managed to fully liberate the village of Albu Ajil in the troubled northern province of Salahuddin from the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group.
- Iraq urges help to protect ancient sites against ISIL Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Iraq's tourism and antiquities minister has requested that the US-led coalition purporting to fight ISIL provide increased aerial support to save world heritage sites against destruction at the hands of the Takfiri ISIL terrorists.
- Iraqi security forces retake western town from ISIL Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi government forces have managed to recapture a town in the conflict-ridden western province of al-Anbar from Takfiri ISIL militants as they continue to gain more ground in the battle against the extremists.
- Iraq Investigates Reports IS Attacked Third Ancient Site RFE/RL 08 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi officials say they are investigating reports the Islamic State (IS) group attacked the ancient archaeological site of Khorsabad in northern Iraq on March 8, the third such attack by the militants recently on the country's cultural heritage
- Battle for Tikrit Enters Second Week VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- A week into the ground campaign for Tikrit, Iraqi forces and allied Shi'ite militias continue to clash with Islamic State group militants on the city's outskirts in an attempt to regain territory one outlying town at a time.
- 40 killed as Kurds battle ISIL over Syria town Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- At least 40 ISIL Takfiri terrorists and Kurdish fighters have been killed in fresh fight for the control of the key town of Tal Tamer in northern Syria, a monitoring group said.
- Chad, Niger Launch Joint Offensive Against Boko Haram VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- The armies of Chad and Niger have launched a joint offensive against the Nigeria-based Islamist group Boko Haram.
- Nigeria Offensive Ongoing Despite Boko Haram, IS Allegiance VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- A spokesman for Nigeria's government said the military will not be deterred in its ongoing offensives against Boko Haram militants, despite the group's pledge of allegiance to the Islamic State extremist group.
- Boko Haram swears allegiance to ISIL IRNA 08 Mar 2015 -- Nigeria's Boko Haram terrorists have pledged allegiance to ISIL Takfiri terrorist group.
- Niger, Chad launch joint offensive against Boko Haram Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Nigerien and Chadian military forces have launched a joint 'ground and air' offensive against the Takfiri terrorist group Boko Haram in northeastern Nigeria, a Niger government source says.
- China Defends Island Construction in South China Sea VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said his country has every right to carry out construction and develop land around disputed islands and reefs in the South China Sea.
- China says island, reef construction in South China Sea lawful, justified People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- China's construction on its own islands and reefs in the South China Sea is lawful and justified, as China is merely building facilities in its own yard, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- Beijing's Island Construction in South China Sea Poses No Threat - Minister Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- China's recently intensified construction works on the reefs it controls in the South China Sea's disputed Spratly Island, are lawful and pose no threat to any other countries, China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- Yemeni defense minister resumes work in Aden Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Yemen's defense minister, who has fled the capital, Sana'a, to join President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi in Aden, has resumed his duties in the southern Yemeni city.
- 17 people killed in armed clashes in Yemen Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- At least 17 people have been killed in heavy clashes between armed groups in Yemen's central province of Bayda.
- Egyptian army operations kill 70 militants in Sinai Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Egyptian government forces have killed 70 militants and arrested 118 others during separate aerial attacks and security raids in the volatile Sinai Peninsula over the past week.
- Attack in northeastern Mali that killed UN peacekeepers strongly condemned by Ban, Council UN News 08 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations today condemned in the strongest terms the attack in Mali that killed two Malian children and a Chadian peacekeeper with the UN Mission in the country (MINUSMA) and injured 11 peacekeepers and three civilians.
- UN Peacekeeper, 2 Civilians Killed in Mali Rocket Attack VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- Three people were killed and 12 others were wounded in rocket attack on a United Nations base camp in northern Mali.
- Chechnya ex-police officer confesses role in Nemtsov killing Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- A former Chechen police officer has confessed to his involvement in the recent assassination of the high-profile Russian opposition figure, Boris Nemtsov, in Moscow.
- Two Charged In Nemtsov Killing RFE/RL 08 Mar 2015 -- Two men have been charged with involvement in the murder of Russian opposition figure Boris Nemtsov, as the five suspects in the case appeared in a Moscow court.
- Suicide Or Homicide? In Ukraine, Old-Guard Officials Dying Mysteriously RFE/RL 08 Mar 2015 -- This year Ukraine has seen a bizarre string of deaths involving high-ranking officials, including a ex-city mayor, a former railway executive, and the former head of the state body in charge of privatization.
- US eyeing sanctions on three Indian firms over Iran ties Press TV 08 Mar 2015 -- Speculations are rising that the US administration may impose sanctions on several top India oil companies over their energy ties with Iran.
- Iran Supreme Leader Makes Public Appearance Amid Ill Health Rumors RFE/RL 08 Mar 2015 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has made a public appearance amid rumors that he has been suffering from ill health..
- Obama, Netanyahu Spar Over Iran Nuclear Negotiations VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says American and Iranian negotiators have narrowed their differences over Iran's suspect nuclear program, but says he is prepared to end negotiations if no acceptable deal can be reached.
- Snowden Reveals Information on New Zealand's Secret Spy Base in Waihopai Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- The recent documents revealed by Edward Snowden show how closely New Zealand is working with the NSA to maintain surveillance coverage on the South-Pacific region.
- China eyes on wider, tighter int'l anti-corruption network People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- China will work with other countries to build a wider and tighter net of international anti-corruption cooperation, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- Use a telescope to look ahead to future Sino-US ties: FM People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- President Xi Jinping's upcoming state visit to the US, scheduled for autumn this year, will infuse momentum into the new model of major-country relations between the two countries, China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Sunday at a press conference.
- China cherishes traditional friendship with DPRK: FM People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- China cherishes its traditional friendship with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and calls for calm and restraint on the Korean Peninsula, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|