06 March 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 06 Mar 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- U.S. Marines critical element in Operation Inherent Resolve USMC News 06 Mar 2015 -- The KC-130J Super Hercules is used to transport troops, resupply forward operating bases, perform medical evacuations and refuel coalition aircraft.
- Guard Units in Several States Respond to Latest Winter Storm AFPS 06 Mar 2015 -- National Guard units have been called to action in several states in the South, the Midwest and the Northeast in recent days to clear snow and help stranded motorists, among other missions, in response to the latest winter storm.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Unclassified Version of March 6, 2015 Message to the Workforce from CIA Director John Brennan: Our Agency's Blueprint for the Future Central Intelligence Agency 06 Mar 2015 -- The "Agency's leadership team has made a number of decisions building upon the Agency's Strategic Direction that are designed to strengthen our Agency in the years ahead. (...) The initiatives described below are driven by two fundamental shifts in the national security landscape. The first is the marked increase in the range, diversity, complexity, and immediacy of issues confronting policymakers; and the second is the unprecedented pace and impact of technological advancements."
- Carter: It's Time to Seize 'Bright Opportunities' AFPS 06 Mar 2015 -- Focusing on the difficulties that lie ahead of the Defense Department is easy, but now is also the time to embrace opportunity, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard undocks USS Maryland NNS 06 Mar 2015 -- Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY) successfully undocked USS Maryland (SSBN 738) Feb 21.
- 2nd Marine Logistics Group endures the cold during CPX USMC News 06 Mar 2015 -- A variety of weather conditions greeted Marines with Headquarters Regiment, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, during the command post exercise Feb. 20-27, 2015. Marines from Headquarters Regiment stood alongside various units within 2nd MLG during stints of snow, sleet and rain during the weeklong command post exercise.
- SPAWAR FRD Improves Shipboard Combat Readiness NNS 06 Mar 2015 -- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) integrated a system of systems operability testing (SOT) capability for combatant ships onboard USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG 54), which just completed an availability and sea trial period utilizing the new SOT combat readiness testing, March 6.
- Military Sealift Command Expeditionary Port Unit Builds Thai Relations during Cobra Gold NNS 06 Mar 2015 -- Navy Reservists from the Military Sealift Command's (MSC) Expeditionary Port Unit 112 conducted a community relations project at the Wat Koh Khwang Elementry School in Chanthaburi, Thailand, March 3.
- Cybercom Chief: Cyber Threats Blur Roles, Relationships AFPS 06 Mar 2015 -- Over five years of U.S. Cyber Command operations, global movement of threat activity through cyberspace has blurred roles and relationships among government agencies, as well as between the public and private sectors and the real and virtual worlds, the Cybercom commander told a House panel.
- War of Words: Moscow Not Planning on Creating 'Information Army' Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- The current information war between Russia and the United States will not compel Moscow to create an 'information army' like the one recently created in Ukraine, Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday.
- Fifth Russian Yasen-Class Attack Nuclear Sub Begins Construction in March Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- Russia's Sevmash shipyard will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for its fifth Yasen-class nuclear submarine, the Arkhangelsk, on March 19.
- Russian Arctic Fleet Gets New All-Terrain Snow Vehicles Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- Russia's northern fleet has received the first of its new all-terrain tracked vehicles, which are able to transport cargoes of up to 4,000 kg through off-road conditions, fresh snow and swamps.
- Over 40 Russian Fighter Jet Crews Hold Airstrike Drills in Barents Sea Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- More than 40 Russian fighter jet crews practiced destroying enemy missiles and aircraft during military exercises over the Barents Sea, the Russian Defense Minister said Friday.
- Russia concerned with U.S. military deployment in Ukraine People's Daily 06 Mar 2015 -- Russia is concerned with arrival of U.S. military personnel on Ukraine soil, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Defence Secretary announces further UK support to Ukrainian Armed Forces UK MOD 06 Mar 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has today confirmed that the UK will provide a new package of non-lethal equipment to the Ukrainian armed forces.
- Russia to match US lethal aid to Ukraine: Top US diplomat Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- A top US diplomat has said the United States will supply lethal arms to Ukraine if "aggression" from pro-Russian forces persists, but warned that Moscow would easily match the effort by sending more weapons into the country.
- French Submarine Sinks Entire US Aircraft Carrier Group During Drills Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- A series of joint naval drills between the United States and France recently didn't quite turn out the way the US, no doubt, expected. The practice scenario ended with the French nuclear submarine that was acting the part of an enemy ship 'sinking' the American aircraft carrier and most of its escort.
- Drills showed Iran's versatility against threats: Cmdr. Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- Recent major maneuvers by the Iranian military showed that the Islamic Republic is versatile in using its military capabilities in the face of potential threats by the enemies, says a top Iranian commander.
- Russia to supply Antey-2500 missile system to Egypt by end of 2016 – source TASS 06 Mar 2015 -- Russia will supply the Antey-2500 anti-ballistic missile system to Egypt by the end of 2016, a source familiar with Russia's military and technical cooperation with other countries told TASS on Friday. The contract is worth more than $1 billion, the source said.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route Columbia, South Carolina, 3/6/2015 The White House 06 Mar 2015
- March 6, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Mar 2015
- 6 March 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Mar 2015
- Ukraine: 'the road ahead will be difficult' UN political chief tells Security Council in briefing UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- As the Security Council this morning met to hear briefings from top United Nations officials on the political, humanitarian and human rights situations in Ukraine, members heard that the eastern part of the country remains "in limbo."
- Remarks at a UN Security Council Debate on Ukraine U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations 06 Mar 2015
- Response at a UN Security Council Debate on Ukraine U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations 06 Mar 2015
- Ukraine Conflict Tops Agenda Of EU Meeting In Riga RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015 -- The conflict in Ukraine is expected to dominate the agenda of an EU foreign ministers meeting in the Latvian capital, Riga.
- Kiev Violates Ceasefire Deal, Shells Positions Including Donetsk Airport Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- Kiev government forces have violated the ceasefire agreements, including by shelling the airport of Donetsk, a deputy commander of the Donetsk militia, Eduard Basurin, said Friday.
- Iraqi Forces Eject ISIL Terrorists From Baghdadi AFPS 06 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi security forces and tribal fighters from the Anbar region supported by coalition airstrikes have successfully cleared the Iraqi city of Baghdadi of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists, retaking both the city police station and three Euphrates River bridges, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Iraqi Fighters Drive Islamic State Out of Key Town VOA 06 Mar 2015 -- The Pentagon says Iraqi forces have driven Islamic State out of the western town of al-Baghdadi -- close to a military base where U.S. forces are training Iraqis.
- Iraq army retakes control of al-Dour airport from ISIL terrorists Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- Iraqi soldiers backed by volunteer fighters have retaken an airport in the Iraqi town of al-Dour, southeast of the strategic city of Tikrit, from the ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Violence uproots 28,000 Iraqis in Tikrit: UN Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations says clashes between Iraqi army forces and ISIL Takfiri terrorists have forced some 28,000 people to leave the militant-held city of Tikrit in the Arab country's troubled north.
- Baghdad Says IS Militants Bulldoze Ancient Assyrian Ruins Of Nimrud RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015 -- Iraq's government says Islamic State (IS) militants have begun bulldozing the remains of the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud in northern Iraq in their latest attack on the country's historical heritage.
- Funding shortfall forces UN to scale back food aid to Syrian refugees in Turkey UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today said "a critical shortage of funding" has forced it to reduce the number of Syrian refugees it can assist through an innovative electronic voucher system in Turkey, which hosts the largest number of asylum-seekers fleeing fighting in neighbouring Syria.
- Lebanon: UN to boost humanitarian funding to ease Syria crisis burden UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- The continuing influx of refugees fleeing from the Syrian conflict is burdening Lebanon's infrastructure and economy and threatening the country's stability, the United Nations humanitarian chief said today.
- Security Council condemns use of chemical weapons in Syria UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- The Security Council today adopted a resolution strongly condemning the use of any toxic chemical, such as chlorine, as a weapon in Syria and stressing that those who use such weapons must be held accountable.
- Explanation of Vote at the Adoption of Resolution 2209 on Syria U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations 06 Mar 2015
- Syria army keeps pounding al-Nusra Front positions Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- The Syrian army has been pressing ahead with pounding positions of the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front after killing a military chief belonging to the terrorist group.
- Military pressure needed to oust Assad, Kerry says in Riyadh Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry says military pressure may be necessary to oust Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, indicating that Washington is still seeking a "regime change" in the Arab country.
- ISIL leader hospitalized in Turkey's Denizli: Official Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- Turkey has confirmed that an ISIL terrorist leader has been hospitalized in a facility in west of the country, further proving links between Ankara and the Takfiris who are wreaking havoc in Iraq and Syria.
- Gunmen attack Libya's al-Ghani oil field, killing 8 guards Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- At least eight people have been killed when unidentified gunmen attacked an oil field in Libya's violence-wracked southwestern region of Fezzan.
- Ban 'profoundly disappointed' over failed progress on South Sudan peace talks UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today expressed profound disappointment after the unsuccessful conclusion of peace talks in South Sudan and the failure of President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar to display statesmanship and reach a power-sharing deal.
- South Sudan's delayed peace means no justice for war crime victims IRIN 06 Mar 2015 -- Regional negotiators had warned that yesterday was the 'last chance' for South Sudan's warring parties to reach a resolution, but even a renewed threat of sanctions from the international community was not enough to bring the two sides to an agreement.
- South Sudan peace talks fail to secure deal Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- Mediators say negotiations in Ethiopia between representatives of South Sudan's warring parties aimed at putting an end to the civil war that has been going on in the country for 15 months have been suspended without a deal.
- Boko Haram Militants Assembling in Gwoza VOA 06 Mar 2015 -- Reports from Nigeria say members of the Boko Haram militant group are gathering in their stronghold of Gwoza and bringing in reinforcements from other locations.
- Ban welcomes 'important step forward' towards Mali peace UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the progress made towards the establishment of an inclusive peace in Mali in an effort to resolve the country's ongoing crisis, the United Nations spokesperson confirmed today.
- Ban urges restraint after Palestinian leadership suspends security cooperation with Israel UN News 06 Mar 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today expressed concern regarding the 5 March decision by the Palestine Liberation Organization's (PLO) Central Council to suspend all forms of security coordination with Israel.
- Nemtsov Relative Believes One Word May Have Cost Politician His Life RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015 -- From Islamist extremists to spurned lovers to Russian President Vladimir Putin, speculation continues to swirl about who killed opposition leader Boris Nemtsov last week, a stone's throw from the Kremlin, and why.
- Reporter's Notebook: How Putin's Television Covered The Nemtsov Killing RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015
- Russian Opposition Leader Navalny Released From Jail RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015 -- Prominent Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny has walked out of a Moscow detention center and vowed to continue challenging President Vladimir Putin's government folling the slaying of Kremlin critic Boris Nemstov.
- Turkey Cracks Down on Political Dissent, Again VOA 06 Mar 2015 -- Prosecutors are increasingly demanding jail time for people engaging in political dissent – from a former beauty queen to a top newspaper editor. And their efforts are likely to intensify in the run-up to June's general election even as human rights groups voice alarm over the crackdown.
- Iran Nuclear Talks Intensify Ahead of March 31 Deadline VOA 06 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and the foreign ministers of Germany, Britain and France will meet in Paris on Saturday to discuss the status of talks with Iran, ahead of the March 31 deadline for a framework agreement.
- Mousavian says nuke deal could lead to US-Iran cooperation on Daesh IRNA 06 Mar 2015 -- As nuclear talks enter a crucial stage, a nuclear deal between Iran and P5+1 group could pave the way for possible cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or Daesh, Iran's former nuclear negotiator has said.
- Sanctions, agreement don't go together: Zarif IRNA 06 Mar 2015 -- Western economic sanctions should be lifted completely, rather than gradually, before an agreement can be reached in talks on the Iranian nuclear issue, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was quoted saying.
- Slaying Of Tajik Opposition Leader Draws Nemtsov Comparisons RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015 -- Umarali Quvatov was a fierce critic of Tajik President Emomali Rahmon, the founder of a banned opposition party considered to be extremist by Dushanbe, and a tycoon-in-exile who faced fraud charges at home.
- Tajik Opposition Tycoon Quvatov Killed In Istanbul RFE/RL 06 Mar 2015 -- Fugitive Tajik opposition politician and businessman Umarali Quvatov has been killed in Turkey, associates and officials said.
- History, Religion Hamper Efforts to Counter IS Propaganda VOA 06 Mar 2015 -- The militant group that calls itself the Islamic State (IS) has proved adept at radicalizing young Muslims, and Western countries, including the U.S., are finding that history and long-held beliefs in the Middle East put them at a disadvantage when countering IS's recruitment efforts.
- Edward Snowden: 21 Countries Refused Me Asylum Under US Pressure Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- the Oscar-winning documentary about his role in revealing the US government surveillance program – Edward Snowden made a surprise appearance. But instead of attending in the flesh, the audience saw Snowden the same way we've all been forced to: via live video link from Moscow.
- Saudi Arabia reports 10 more MERS-linked deaths Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has killed 10 more people in Saudi Arabia over the past week, raising health officials' concern about containment of the deadly virus.
- British Man Arrested for Hacking Into US Dept of Defense Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- Britain's National Crime Agency (NCA) confirmed that a 23-year-old man from Sutton Coldfield in the British Midlands region was arrested and accused of taking part in the cyber attack, where hackers obtained the details of about 800 of the department's staff, including email addresses and phone numbers.
- NASA Scientists Find Compelling Evidence of Large, Ancient Ocean on Mars Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- located in Hawaii and in Chile – to track changes to the Martian atmosphere over six years and specifically look at how different forms of water molecules in the Martian air varied in different places through changing seasons.
- NASA's Dawn Mission Arrives to Mysterious Dwarf Planet Ceres Sputnik 06 Mar 2015 -- NASA's Dawn mission completed its trip to the dwarf planet Ceres, making the probe the first human-made object to visit one of the dwarf planets in our solar system.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|