16 February 2015 Military News
- U.S., Coalition Allies Continue Airstrikes Against ISIL AFPS 16 Feb 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Bahrain deploys fighter jets to Jordan to strike ISIL Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- The Bahraini regime has deployed an unspecified number of fighter jets to Jordan to aid Amman in the fight against the ISIL Takfiri group days after the immolation of a Jordanian pilot held hostage by the terrorist group.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia to boost military ties with Latin America Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- The Russian deputy defense minister says Moscow is ready to boost military cooperation with Latin American countries.
- Russian Navy Holds Live Fire Exercise in Mediterranean Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Russian Navy ships conducted live artillery fire exercises against sea and air targets in the Mediterranean Sea on Monday, the Black Sea Fleet's press service announced.
- Russia Wraps Up War Games Featuring Strategic Rocket Forces Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The largest military exercises ever to involve the Strategic Missile Forces have concluded in Russia.
- Russia's Chechnya to Host Unique Training Complex for Special Forces Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Russia's republic of Chechnya is set to host a world-class center for training Russian Special Forces; the complex will also be available to the Special Forces of other countries.
- Russia to Conduct Observation Flights Over US, Italy – Defense Ministry Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Russian aviation inspectors will conduct two observation flights over the territory of the United States and one over the territory of Italy in February under the Treaty on Open Skies, the head of the Russian National Centre for Reducing Nuclear Threat Sergei Ryzhkov has said.
- 'Effectively dead': Media speculate on India's purchase of $20bn French Rafale jets RT 16 Feb 2015 -- Three years of negotiations between France's Dassault and the contract negotiation committee of the India's Defense Ministry on the purchase of 126 Rafale fighter jets may be about to collapse. Sources mostly blame the exorbitant price.
- Russia, India to Discuss Su-30MKI Fighter Modernization Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Russia and India will discuss the modernization of Russian-designed Sukhoi Su-30MKI (Flanker-H) fighters, including equipping them with BrahMos cruise missiles, Russian aircraft corporation Irkut said on Monday.
- India Scraps Rafale Fighter Deal With France, Eyes Russian Alternative Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- India has announced that a deal to buy 126 Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) from French manufacturer Dassault Aviation is "effectively dead".
- Britain spends £140k on Myanmar army Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- The UK spends around £140,000 of taxpayers' money on training the Myanmar army, which is accused of the recruitment of child soldiers, journalist intimidation, and using rape as a weapon.
- Sweden OKs Russia's Demand Not to Land Fighters in Estonia During Exercise Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Sweden has said 'yes' to Russia's demand that it refrain from landing its fighter jets in Estonia during an upcoming military exercise in the Baltic region.
- US Voices Alarm as Rebels Ignore Cease-Fire in E. Ukraine VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- The United States says it is 'gravely concerned' over the deteriorating situation in and around the eastern Ukrainian town of Debaltseve, where pro-Russian rebels are refusing to honor an internationally brokered cease-fire.
- Fighting Persists In Eastern Ukraine Despite Cease-Fire RFE/RL 16 Feb 2015 -- Kyiv says Ukrainian forces have been fired on 112 times by Russia-backed separatists in the past 24 hours, despite a cease-fire agreement that came into force on February 15.
- EU Expands Ukraine-Crisis Sanctions List RFE/RL 16 Feb 2015 -- The European Union has blacklisted an additional 19 individuals and nine entities for 'undermining or threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty, and independence of Ukraine.'
- U.S. Urges Russia, Separatists To 'Immediately' Halt Ukraine Attacks RFE/RL 16 Feb 2015 -- along with 15 separatists in Donetsk and Luhansk -- to its travel-ban and asset-freeze blacklist for 'undermining or threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty, and independence of Ukraine.'
- Weaponry Withdrawal May Begin in Areas Where Hostilities Suspended - DPR Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The withdrawal of weapons from the line of contact may begin in eastern Ukraine's areas, where hostilities are already suspended, a deputy commander of Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) militia Eduard Basurin said Monday.
- Donetsk Not Responding to Provocations From Ukrainian Forces - DPR Official Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The eastern Ukrainian self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic is observing the Minsk agreements and not responding to provocations by Ukrainian military forces, DPR militia head Eduard Basurin said Monday.
- Ukraine Not Yet Prepared to Withdraw Heavy Artillery - Kiev Spokesman Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Kiev is not ready to withdraw its heavy artillery from the conflict zone in the eastern regions of the country but has prepared areas for when the withdrawal occurs, a representative from Kiev's special operations unit said Monday.
- Kiev Amasses Heavy Artillery Near Artemivsk, Mironivske, Luhanske Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Kiev is amassing heavy artillery near the populated areas of Artemivsk, Mironivske, and Luhanske, thereby creating provocations in order to blame the eastern independence supporters of breaching the Minsk agreement, the deputy head of the militia from the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic said Monday.
- Amid reports of fighting in eastern Ukraine, Ban urges all parties to abide by cease-fire UN News Centre 16 Feb 2015 -- With Ukraine cease-fire 'largely holding', United Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed serious concern at reports of continued instances of hostilities including in Debaltseve and reiterated his call for all parties to abide by the cease-fire without exception.
- DPR Registers 3 Shellings of Horlivka by Kiev Forces – Envoy Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The authorities of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) have recorded three shellings of the Donbas town of Horlivka by the Ukrainian army on Sunday evening, DPR envoy Denis Pushilin said.
- Egypt Bombs Islamic State Stronghold in Libya After Massacre VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- Egypt carried out a second round of airstrikes in eastern Libya Monday, in swift retaliation for the massacre of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians by Islamic State militants in Libya.
- Iran blasts slaughter of Egyptian Christians by IS ISNA 16 Feb 2015 -- Iran categorically condemned slaughter of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya.
- Libyan army warplanes bomb IS-controlled Derna People's Daily 16 Feb 2015 -- Libyan army warplanes on Monday bombed the eastern city of Derna, which is controlled by a Libyan affiliate of the Islamic State (IS) militant group, according to an army commander.
- Sixty-four ISIL militants killed in Egypt strikes in Libya Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- Egypt's airstrikes against ISIL Takfiri militants' positions in Libya have killed 64 members of the terrorist group, officials say.
- Egypt, Libya Plan Joint Airstrike on ISIL Militants Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Egypt will carry out new airstrikes on Islamic State (IS) positions in eastern Libya with the Libyan Air Force, an Egyptian military spokesman said Monday.
- Egypt Strikes Back: Up to 50 ISIL Militants Reported Killed in Libya Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The Egyptian and Libyan Air Forces have killed between 40 and 50 Islamic State (ISIL) militants during airstrikes in Libya after the kidnapping and execution of 21 Egyptian Christian Copts, Egyptian state television reported Monday.
- Egyptian Air Force Bombs Islamic State Fighters in Libya Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The Egyptian Air Force has carried out a series of bombings on Islamic State (ISIL) positions in Libya following execution of 21 Egyptian Copts, Egyptian state television said Monday.
- Security Council, Ban condemn ISIL murder of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya UN News Centre 16 Feb 2015 -- Strongly condemning the killing of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya by an affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council deplored the targeting of persons based on religious affiliation, while also urging Libyan parties to press ahead with their political dialogue.
- Egypt Bombs IS Targets in Libya After Beheadings VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- Egyptian warplanes carried out airstrikes early Monday against the Islamic State group in neighboring Libya, the military said, in retaliation for the militants beheading 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians who were kidnapped in Libya.
- Hezbollah engaged in fighting ISIL in Iraq, Nasrallah says Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- The head of Hezbollah says the Lebanese resistance movement has been fighting the ISIL Takfiri group in Iraq.
- Nigeria: Town Retaken From Boko Haram VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- The Nigerian army said a town in Borno state seized by Boko Haram insurgents last month has been recaptured.
- Central African Leaders Create Fund to Fight Boko Haram VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- Central African leaders on Monday called for creation of a special fund to help countries affected by Boko Haram.
- For Boko Haram victims, charity begins at home IRIN 16 Feb 2015 -- Mohammed Abubaker is angry. Ten months ago, he was a businessman with a comfortable life in Nigeria's northeastern border town of Gwoza. Now he's homeless, his life turned upside down by the Boko Haram insurgency, and he doesn't even own the clothes he wears.
- Nigeria forces claim recapture of garrison town Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- Nigeria's military has alleged the recapture of a northeastern garrison town, which was seized by militants of the Takfiri terrorist group Boko Haram last month.
- Nigeria Recaptures Key Town of Monguno As Boko Haram Continues Attacks Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Nigeria's military announced that it has recaptured a key city from Boko Haram as it prepares for the delayed elections; Boko Haram launches a raid on a Cameroonian army base; Chad launches a USAFRICOM exercise and regional leaders discuss 'eradicating' the group.
- Yemen Houthis reject UN call to relinquish power Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- The Houthi movement in Yemen has rejected the UN Security Council demand to relinquish power.
- Yemen Faces Disintegration as Loyalist Forces Seize Parts of Former Capital Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Militias loyal to the Yemen's recently deposed president seized parts of Aden, including its intelligence headquarters and other government buildings.
- UNSC Agrees Resolution on Yemen, Demands Houthis Re-Engage in Talks Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The UN Security Council unanimously agreed Sunday to a resolution demanding that the Houthi rebels withdraw from Yemen's capital Sanaa, rejoin UN-facilitated talks and release Yemen's former leaders from house arrest.
- Death toll rises as Myanmar clashes intensify Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- The death toll has risen to dozens in northern Myanmar while tens of thousands of people have fled the region as clashes between the army and the ethnic Kokang rebels intensified over the past week.
- North Myanmar peace imperative for China People's Daily 16 Feb 2015 -- Clashes between the Kokang ethnic army and government troops were renewed in northern Myanmar's Kokang region on February 9.
- UN rights chief requests 'one time only' deferral of key report on Sri Lanka conflict UN News Centre 16 Feb 2015 -- At the request of the top United Nations rights official, the Geneva-based UN Human Rights Council today agreed to temporarily hold off its consideration of a long-awaited report into alleged rights violations during the conflict in Sri Lanka for six months, until September 2015.
- Only five percent of pledged aid reaches Gaza IRIN 16 Feb 2015 -- Just over 5 percent of the money pledged to rebuild Gaza after last summer's devastating 50-day war with Israel has been delivered, IRIN has learned.
- India's swine flu death toll rises to 485 Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- Swine flu (H1N1) has claimed 12 more lives in India's Gujarat, raising the death toll in the country to 485 since the beginning of this year.
- Ebola-Hit Nations Aim for No New Cases in 60 Days VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- The three West African countries hardest hit by Ebola have set a target of reducing new cases to zero within 60 days.
- US, Global Partners Seek Support to Fight Extremism VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- When it comes to fighting violent extremism, the 'government does not have all the answers,' a senior U.S. administration official said Monday, as he outlined plans for a White House summit to build new efforts against extremists.
- Ukraine Should Get Consumption of Russian Gas Down to Zero – Prime Minister Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Ukraine should bring the consumption of natural gas from Russia down to zero, the country's Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk has said.
- FM: Iran not intimidated in talks with six big powers IRNA 16 Feb 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran was conducting talks with six big world powers without feeling any intimidations.
- Chinese Foreign Minister Pushes Iran On Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 16 Feb 2015 -- China has urged Iran to come to an agreement with leading world powers over its controversial nuclear program so that Tehran can focus on economic development.'
- Iran Denies 'Unprofessional' WSJ Report That Ayatollah Sent Letter to Obama Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry announced that Ayatollah Khamenei did not sent a letter to US President Obama, calling the Wall Street Journal report 'an unprofessional media game.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|