14 February 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
Defense Policy / Programs
- India's Hypersonic Cruise Missile Passes Muster Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- India has successfully test-fired a hypersonic cruise missile, developed with Russian help.
- Russia's Naval Air Forces to Receive Brand New Landing System Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- The system is expected to deliver a fully automatic landing approach which will resolve various problems with landing in bad weather conditions.
- UK Confirms Delivery of Out-of-Service Armored Vehicles to Ukraine Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- The UK Ministry of Defense has confirmed that a private company delivered British Saxon armored vehicles to Ukraine. The equipment is out-of-service and is non-lethal.
- Fighting Intensifies in Ukraine Ahead of Cease-Fire VOA 14 Feb 2015 -- Ukrainian forces and Russian-backed separatists unleashed a barrage of artillery fire Saturday, hours before a European brokered cease-fire was due to come into effect.
- Intense clashes going on in eastern Ukraine as truce implementation nears Iran Press TV 14 Feb 2015 -- Fierce exchanges of fire between government troops and pro-Russia forces are underway in eastern Ukraine as a ceasefire to end hostilities in the highly volatile region is to take effect within hours.e
- U.S. Says Russia Violating 'Spirit' Of Ukraine Peace Deal RFE/RL 14 Feb 2015 -- The United States has accused Russia and pro-Russian rebels of violating "the spirit" of a fresh peace deal for eastern Ukraine.
- Fighting Rages In Eastern Ukraine Ahead Of Ceasefire RFE/RL 14 Feb 2015 -- Deadly fighting has continued to rage in eastern Ukraine despite an imminent cease-fire between pro-Russian separatists and Ukrainian forces.
- Fake Photos? Ukrainian Deputy Rejects U.S. Senator's Claims Of Misinformation RFE/RL 14 Feb 2015 -- A Ukrainian deputy is denying claims that he provided U.S. Senate staff with photos of Russian convoys from 2008 and portrayed them as part of an incursion into Ukraine.
- Ukraine, US Agree on Further Coordination if Donbas Conflict Escalates Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and US President Barack Obama during a phone talk on Saturday agreed on further coordination of efforts in case of Ukrainian conflict escalation.
- Donbas Forces Ready to React if Kiev Neglects Minsk Agreements – DPR Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- Eastern Ukrainian forces are ready to react if Kiev does not follow new Minsk agreements on Ukrainian reconciliation, self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic's (DPR) envoy to the Contact Group talks Denis Pushilin told journalists Saturday.
- ISIL fighting losing battle in Iraq: IRGC commander ISNA 14 Feb 2015 -- The ISIL terrorist group is fighting a losing battle in Iraq, Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, the commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said.
- ISIL fighting losing battle in Iraq: IRGC commander Iran Press TV 14 Feb 2015 -- The ISIL terrorist group is fighting a losing battle in Iraq, Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, the commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), says.
- Gunmen take over government buildings in Libya Iran Press TV 14 Feb 2015 -- Gunmen have taken over several government buildings in the northern coastal city of Sirte in Libya, the state news agency says.
- Boko Haram invades Nigerian city of Gombe Iran Press TV 14 Feb 2015 -- Hundreds of armed Boko Haram Takfiris have invaded the volatile northeastern Nigerian city of Gombe, calling for a boycott of the upcoming general elections.
- Security Council condemns Boko Haram attacks as deadly violence spreads to Nigeria's neighbours UN News Centre 14 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned "in the strongest terms" the continued escalation of attacks perpetrated by Boko Haram terrorists, including deadly attacks during the past week which took the lives of many civilians in Chad, Cameroon and Niger.
- Boko Haram Attacks Gombe, Nigeria VOA 14 Feb 2015 -- The governor of Nigeria's Gombe state has imposed a 24-hour curfew in response to a Boko Haram attack that sparked raging gunfire Saturday.
- Fighting Rages in Southern Yemen Amid Sana'a Protests VOA 14 Feb 2015 -- Tens of thousands of Yemenis protested Saturday against the country's takeover by the Shi'ite Muslim Houthi movement. In the central town of Ibb, Houthi gunmen fired on protesters, wounding four of them.
- Deadly Shooting At Copenhagen Free Speech Event RFE/RL 14 Feb 2015 -- Gunmen have killed one person and injured three police officers during a debate on freedom of expression in the Danish capital, Copenhagen, attended by a controversial Swedish cartoonist.
- Bullets Spray Copenhagen Free-Speech Meeting VOA 14 Feb 2015 -- Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt has called Saturday's deadly shooting at a free-speech event in Copenhagen a terrorist attack.
- Iran Supreme Leader Sends Reply to Obama's Letter Seeking Better Relations Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- The Supreme Leader of Iran Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has sent a secret letter to the White House, in response to US President Barack Obama's correspondence aimed at improving relations between the two countries, The Wall Street Journal reports.
- Report: Obama, Khamenei Exchange Letters VOA 14 Feb 2015 -- Iran's supreme leader and the U.S. president have exchanged correspondence as the two sides try to reach a nuclear accord, according to a report in the The Wall Street Journal.
- WHO Mission to Saudi Arabia to Target Mers Corona Virus VOA 14 Feb 2015 -- A World Health Organization mission is going to Saudi Arabia in the coming week, at the request of the government, to take preventive measures against an anticipated spring season upsurge of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, also known as MERS-Corona virus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|