11 February 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 11 Feb 2015 [PDF]
- Obama Sends Resolution for Use of Force Against ISIL to Congress AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- President Barack Obama has sent a draft resolution to Congress to authorize the use of force against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- Coalition Continues Airstrikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Letter from the President -- Authorization for the Use of United States Armed Forces in connection with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant The White House 11 Feb 2015
- Remarks by the President on Request to Congress for Authorization of Force Against ISIL The White House 11 Feb 2015
- Obama Asks Congress to Authorize Limited Ground Operations Against ISIL Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- US President Barack Obama asked US Congress to authorize limited ground operations, including military actions against the Islamic State leaders and rescue operations, according to Obama's authorization request for the use of military force (AUMF) against Islamic State.
- Obama Seeks War Authorization From Congress to Fight IS VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- President Barack Obama sent Congress his request for authorization to use military force in the campaign against the Islamic State group Wednesday, urging lawmakers to 'show the world we are united in our resolve to counter the threat.'
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on the Proposed Authorization for Use of Military Force DoD 11 Feb 2015 -- "I welcome the president's proposed resolution for the 'Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)' and urge Congress to pass it."
- Hagel Welcomes Proposed Resolution on Use of Force Against ISIL AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today expressed his support for a proposed resolution President Barack Obama is submitting to Congress that would authorize the use of military force against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force US Dept. of State 11 Feb 2015 -- Press Statement by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Pentagon Personnel to Remain in Yemen for Counter Terrorism Operations Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- US Department of Defense officials will remain in Yemen to continue with counter terrorism operations amid the Washington's decision to close its embassy overnight in Sana'a, White House spokesperson Josh Earnest said during a press briefing on Wednesday.
- Obama Reconsiders Afghan Troop Withdrawal Once Again Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Three American contractors were shot on a military base at Kabul's international airport. The shooter was reportedly dressed in an Afghan military uniform, and one day after the attack, the Taliban claimed responsibility.
- US Should Maintain Residual Armed Forces in Afghanistan – John McCain Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- The United States should continue a residual military presence in Afghanistan, if it wants to maintain the progress achieved by US armed forces in previous years, Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee US Senator John McCain said in an opening statement at a Committee hearing.
- Most DoD Personnel to Return From West Africa AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- Most Defense Department personnel who deployed to West Africa to support the U.S. Agency for International Development and international partners in fighting Ebola at its source already have returned to their home stations, and nearly all will return home over the next two months, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said last night.
- Massachusetts National Guard Responds to Snow Emergency AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- With recent snowfalls measured in feet and more snow on the way, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker has declared a state of emergency and deployed about 500 Massachusetts National Guard members to assist with snow removal and cleanup efforts.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New Threat Center to Integrate Cyber Intelligence AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- A new Cyber Threat Intelligence Integration Center is being created under the auspices of the director of national intelligence.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's meeting with Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta DoD 11 Feb 2015
- Naval War College Hosts Strategy, Budget Panel NNS 11 Feb 2015 -- As part of the final practitioner session for students enrolled in the National Security Decision Making (NSDM) course at U.S. Naval War College (NWC), the national security affairs department hosted a panel discussion titled 'Force Planning - Strategy Meets Budget,' Feb. 10.
- US Sends 12 Thunderbolt II Attack Planes to Eastern Europe Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- The United States has deployed 12 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft and approximately 300 servicemen to a US Air Force base located near a German town of Spangdahlem as part of a so-called Theater Security Package (TSP), the US Air Force in Europe (USAFE) announced.
- Aircraft Deploy to Europe to Boost Interoperability With Allies AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- The Air Force has deployed 12 A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft to Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, as part of a theater security package in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve, U.S. European Command officials announced yesterday.
- Budget Cuts Mean Long-term Risk, Northcom Chief Says AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- Though the United States has seen military budgets drop following wars, today's cuts are piling on to a complex security environment seldom seen in history, the commander of U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command said yesterday.
- DoD Releases Annual Report on Sexual Harassment and Violence at the Military Service Academies DoD 11 Feb 2015 -- Today, the Department of Defense released its Annual Report on Sexual Harassment and Violence at the Military Service Academies for Academic Program Year (APY) 2013 - 2014, and announced five directives to further strengthen the academies' and department's prevention and response programs.e
- MAGTF Materiel Distribution Company activates USMC News 11 Feb 2015 -- Marine Air Ground Task Force Materiel Distribution Company was activated during a ceremony, Feb. 10, 2015, aboard Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
- Logistics Combat Element returns from Africa deployment USMC News 11 Feb 2015 -- After conducting missions in Africa and remaining alert to respond to crises, the Marines and Sailors of Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response-Africa, also known as Detachment A (Det A), safely returned home to Camp Lejeune, N.C., Feb 5.
- HMH-464 battle cold weather during DFT USMC News 11 Feb 2015 -- Marines and sailors with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 464 executed a deployment for training exercise aboard Camp Dawson, W. Va., recently.
- MPF responds to Cobra Gold 15 USMC News 11 Feb 2015 -- The maritime prepositioning ship, U.S. Naval Ship Pililaau, sails across the pacific ocean February 6 with equipment and supplies for exercise Cobra Gold 2015 in Thailand.
- Improvise, Adapt, Overcome: ROK, US Marines Train for Winter Mountain Warfare USMC News 11 Feb 2015 -- Republic of Korea and U.S. Marines train for winter mountain warfare during Korean Marine Exchange Program 15-4 Feb. 4 at the Pyeongchang Winter Training Facility, Pyeongchang, Republic of Korea.
- George H.W. Bush Conducts Training Exercises NNS 11 Feb 2015 -- The aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) departed its homeport of Norfolk to undergo various carrier qualification (CQ) operations in the Atlantic Ocean, Feb 10.
- Report Warns Russia's 'Hybrid Warfare' In Ukraine Could Inspire Others RFE/RL 11 Feb 2015 -- In a new report, a top defense think tank warns that Russia's destabilizing actions in Ukraine, including 'sophisticated combinations of conventional and unconventional means of warfare,' could inspire NATO's potential state and non-state adversaries elsewhere in the world.
- Russia to Take Part in Venezuelan Military Exercises - Defense Minister Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed on Wednesday that Russia will participate in joint air defense and artillery drills with Venezuela.
- Russia Grounds All Su-24 Bombers After Crash Near Volgograd Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- All Russian Su-24 (Fencer) tactical bombers have been grounded throughout the country until the reason for the crash of one of the jets earlier on Wednesday near the southern city of Volgograd is explained, the Russian Defense Ministry's press service said.
- Norway Rejects Arms Deliveries to Kiev, Calls for Talks to Solve Conflict Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Norway is determined not to send any weapons to Ukraine, Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg said Wednesday.
- Pentagon to Train Ukraine's National Guardsmen Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- A team of Pentagon representatives arrived in Ukraine to set the stage for the planned training of the country's National Guardsmen by US military instructors.
- Military Spending Rises in Asia, Middle East VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- U.S. defense spending dropped to 38 percent of the global total in 2014, compared to its 47 percent share in 2010, according to an assessment of global military capabilities published Wednesday in Britain. Analysts at the International Institute for Strategic Studies says the shift comes as military spending in the Middle East and Asia rises dramatically.
- Iran Continues Making Progress in Optimizing Laser-Guided Weapons Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Iranian Air Force Commander Brigadier General Hassan Shah Safi announced on Tuesday that the country is optimizing hi-tech weapons systems with high precision strike capabilities and building a new generation of missiles, reported the Iranian news agency.
- Envoy hopeful on S-300 delivery in 2015 IRNA 11 Feb 2015 -- Iranian Ambassador to Moscow Mehdi Sanaee expressed hope that Russia will carry out its commitment and deliver long range surface-to-air S-300 missile system to Iran in 2015.
- Argentina to Consider Buying More Russian Mi-171E Helicopters – Ambassador Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Argentina will consider buying more Russian Mi-171E helicopters in the future, because the country is very happy with the two helicopters that it received in 2011, Russian Ambassador to Argentina Viktor Coronelli told RIA Novosti.
- Abbott to Prevent Russia, North Korea From Bidding on Submarine Tender Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Australia will not hold an open tender on an important submarine project to prevent Russia and North Korea's participation, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Wednesday.
- Telephonic Press Briefing US Dept. of State 11 Feb 2015
- February 11, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 11 Feb 2015
- Daily Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 02/11/15 The White House 11 Feb 2015
- 11 February 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 11 Feb 2015
- 'Battle Of Nerves' As Ukraine Talks Enter 11th Hour RFE/RL 11 Feb 2015 -- A tense summit in Minsk between the leaders of Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France dragged on into the early hours of February 12 as they wrangled over a plan to end 10 months of fighting in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine Talks Likely to Go Into Morning Hours VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- Some progress was signaled as the leaders of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine negotiated into early Thursday morning to try to end the deadly conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine president says Kiev ready to introduce martial law amid crisis Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- Ukraine's government has announced its readiness to impose martial law in case the crisis escalates in the country's east.
- Ukraine Conflict Summit Holds 'Glimmer Of Hope' RFE/RL 11 Feb 2015 -- The leaders of Ukraine, Russia, Germany, and France have begun a summit in Minsk aimed at ending 10 months of conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine Crisis Could Get Out of Control Without Strict Truce - Poroshenko Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- The situation in Ukraine will either de-escalate or go out of control if the Minsk agreements are not strictly implemented, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Wednesday.
- Kiev, Donbas Reach Ceasefire Deal Ahead of Minsk Talks Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- The Contact Group on Ukraine's crisis settlement has managed to reach a preliminary agreement on the ceasefire in the southeast of the country, as well as on arms withdrawal, a source close to the organization of the Minsk talks said Wednesday.
- Army forces, Hezbollah fighters gain ground against militants in south Syria Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- The Syrian army, backed by fighters from Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement, has made outstanding gains in operations against foreign-backed militants in a region close to the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
- UN envoy and Syrian President discuss political solution to conflict, Aleppo fighting 'freeze' UN News Centre 11 Feb 2015 -- After two days of intensive discussions in Damascus with Syrian authorities, including a long meeting with President Bashar Al-Assad today, the Secretary-General's Special Envoy for the country, Staffan de Mistura, stressed the importance of reducing the violence of the conflict to protect the Syrian people and to increase unimpeded access of humanitarian assistance to all those in need.
- ISIL executes 23 of its members in north Iraq Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- The ISIL Takfiri terrorists have executed nearly two dozen of fellow militants in Iraq's northern province of Nineveh on charges of fleeing the battlefield.
- Mortar attacks, clashes kill 22 in Iraq Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- Mortar attacks and clashes between Iraqi forces and the ISIL Takfiri terrorists have killed at least 22 people and injured dozens across the war-torn country.
- Venue for UN-mediated political talks shifts to Libya, as national stakeholders seek peace UN News Centre 11 Feb 2015 -- Libyan stakeholders have convened in the western Libyan city of Ghedames for the latest round of United Nations-facilitated dialogue aimed at resolving the North African nation's political crisis, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said today.
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Niger Town; Chad Repels Boko Haram VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- A female suicide bomber has blown herself up in the Niger town of Diffa, a day after authorities declared a state of emergency there because of attacks by Nigeria's Boko Haram militants.
- Thousands of Boko Haram refugees 'stranded' in Chad IRIN 11 Feb 2015 -- Many fled the killings by canoe and had no time to take anything with them as they paddled for their lives across Lake Chad. Now thousands of Nigerians who escaped attacks by Boko Haram are stuck on some of the countless little islands that dot the lake and are in dire need of food, water, shelter and medical care.
- Chad troops repel Boko Haram attack in Nigeria town Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- Chadian troops, positioned in a town on Nigeria's border with Cameroon, have repelled an attack by the Boko Haram Takfiri militants.
- Blame game in South Sudan over ceasefire violation Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- South Sudan's army and rebels have accused each other of violating the latest ceasefire deal, in the wake of fresh clashes between the two sides in the key northern oil hub town of Bentiu.
- Sudanese Army Accused of Mass Rape in Darfur VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- Sudanese army soldiers raped more than 200 women and girls in a methodical attack in Darfur last October, Human Right Watch has charged in a report released Wednesday.
- Somalia: UN, partners welcome new Cabinet, note inclusion of women UN News Centre 11 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations has urged the new Somali Government to move quickly to deliver on its 'Vision 2016' agenda following the approval of a Cabinet that hat includes enhanced participation of women ministers.
- Yemen Instability Forces US to Rethink Its Options VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- The political instability in Yemen, where Houthi Shiite rebels are moving to finalize their takeover, has forced the U.S. to reassess how to implement its diplomatic and counterterrorism strategies in the country.
- US, Britain, France Close Yemen Embassies Due to Unrest VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- The United States, Britain and France announced the closure of their embassies in Yemen because of deteriorating security conditions in the country.
- UK Regulator Denies CIA Torture Report Redacted to Hide Britain's Role Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Britain's security and intelligence services did not seek to cover up their complicity in US mistreatment of terrorist suspects when they asked the US Senate to redact its report on CIA torture practices, a UK regulator said in a Wednesday statement.
- Russian Citizen Buryakov Charged With Spying in NYC - Attorney Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Russian national Evgeny Buryakov was charged with espionage for Russia's intelligence service during a preliminary hearing in Manhattan court on Wednesday, a statement from the US Attorney's Office in New York said.
- US Officials: Foreign Fighter Issue Is Huge Concern VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- The threat posed by foreign fighters flocking to Iraq and Syria is 'not even close to being under control,' top U.S. intelligence officials are warning the U.S. Congress.
- Belgian Jihadists Jailed as Europe Tries to Stem Flow of IS Fighters VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- A court in Belgium on Wednesday handed jail sentences to 45 members of an Islamist group called Sharia4Belgium, convicted of arranging for young men to travel to Syria to fight for jihadist groups.
- France dismantles 15 terrorist networks: Minister Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- The French government has dismantled some 15 terrorist networks as part of a sweeping campaign to uproot terrorism within the country, France's justice minister says.
- North Korea Steps Up Border Control, Toughens Punishment for Defectors Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- North Korea has tightened its patrols on the border with China in a bid to curb the flow of defectors, a human rights group said Tuesday.
- Alarm Grows Over Turkish Security Legislation VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- Parliamentary opposition parties and the European Union are asking Turkish leaders to reconsider proposed new security legislation, but the government insists tough measures are needed following violent protests last October.
- Oops: NSA Afraid US Accidentally Aided Iran's Cyberattack Capabilities Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Forget the bomb. US officials have been increasingly worried about Iran's cyberattack capabilities, and a new Snowden document confirms their worst fears. Iran is capable, and most of what they've learned they've learned from US attacks.
- FM: Leader's guidelines keystone of nuclear team's approach IRNA 11 Feb 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Wednesday that instructions set by the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei have formed the red lines and attitude of the nuclear team.
- Iran's achievements brought US to nuclear talks: Afkham IRNA 11 Feb 2015 -- A senior official at the Foreign Ministry said Iran entered the nuclear talks with a constructive intention to put an end to the "fabricated" crisis, refuting claims that Tehran was forced to sit at the neogitations table.
- Iran has been negotiating with goodwill, determination: Zarif Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- Iran' Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic has been negotiating with the P5+1 group with goodwill and determination, saying the talks over the Iranian nuclear program will yield results if the other side also displays the same qualities.
- Nazarbaev Calls U.S., EU Sanctions On Russia 'Barbaric' RFE/RL 11 Feb 2015 -- Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev says U.S. and EU sanctions against Russia are 'barbaric' and has called for the 'de-dollarization' of the Central Asian country's economy.
- Remarks by the President on America's Leadership in the Ebola Fight The White House 11 Feb 2015
- FACT SHEET: Progress in Our Ebola Response at Home and Abroad The White House 11 Feb 2015
- President: Massive Global Effort Created Anti-Ebola Success AFPS 11 Feb 2015 -- The American and partner-nation fight in the last few months against the Ebola virus in West Africa has cut cases of the disease by 80 percent, President Barack Obama announced here today.
- Top UN development programme official starts West Africa visit focused on Ebola recovery UN News Centre 11 Feb 2015 -- The top United Nations development official, tasked by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to lead the Organization' system-wide Ebola-related recovery effort, today began a visit to West Africa, where a new study recommended better programs for women who have been disproportionately impacted by the disease.
- Sierra Leone Records Sharp Drop in Ebola Cases VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- Sierra Leone recorded only three new confirmed Ebola cases Tuesday. That is a sign that the sustained effort to fight the disease is succeeding, says government spokesman Abdulai Bayraytay.
- Greece's Tsipras Wins Confidence Vote In Parliament RFE/RL 11 Feb 2015 -- Greece's new radical left-led government has won a confidence vote in parliament, ahead of talks in Brussels with bailout creditors.
- Battle for Nigeria's Presidency Enters Courts VOA 11 Feb 2015 -- The battle for Nigeria's presidency has spread to the courts, with at least seven cases filed since late last year to try to disqualify the two top candidates.
- Europe's experimental mini-space shuttle launched successfully Iran Press TV 11 Feb 2015 -- The European Space Agency (ESA) has successfully launched an experimental craft designed to return to Earth at the end of its mission.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|