31 January 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes in Syria, Iraq Destroy ISIL Targets AFPS 31 Jan 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Air Strike Kills IS 'Chemical Weapons Expert' RFE/RL 31 Jan 2015 -- U.S. military officials say a mid-level Islamic State militant who specialized in chemical weapons was killed in an U.S. air strike near Mosul in Iraq last week.
Defense Policy / Programs
- China stresses more anti-corruption efforts in military People's Daily 31 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China will step up efforts to weed out corruption in the military as the anti-corruption campaign widens, according to a document released on Friday.
- China, France pledge to boost 'strategic' cooperation People's Daily 31 Jan 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met with French Prime Minister Manuel Valls in Beijing on Friday and they pledged to boost the 'strategic' cooperation between the two countries.
- India Launches Agni-5 Nuclear ICBM in Successful Test Sputnik 31 Jan 2015 -- India successfully test-launched the nuclear-capable, 5,000 kilometer-range Agni-5 missile, according to Indian news channel NDTV.
- Official: Fencing of Iran, Iraq borderline completed IRNA 31 Jan 2015 -- Commander of Iranian border police Brigadier General Qassem Rezaie said the fencing of the borderline between Iran and Iraq in south of the country has completed.
- ISIL terrorists seize oil facility in northern Iraq Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- The ISIL Takfiri terrorists have taken control of a small crude oil separation unit in northern Iraq.
- Kurdish Fighters Drive Islamic State Back From Oil-Rich Iraqi Kirkuk Sputnik 31 Jan 2015 -- Kurdish Peshemerga fighters managed to rebuff Islamic State (IS) militants trying to occupy the oil-producing city of Kirkuk in northern Iraq, Al Jazeera reported Saturday.
- Pakistan's Shi'ites Mourn 61 Killed In Mosque Bombing RFE/RL 31 Jan 2015 -- Thousands of Shi'ite Muslims rallied January 31 in Pakistan to protest the killing of 61 people in a suicide bombing at a mosque, in the nation's worst sectarian attack in nearly two years.
- Chad, Cameroon Launch Strike on Boko Haram in Nigerian Border Town Sputnik 31 Jan 2015 -- Chadian jets bombed the Nigerian town of Gamboru on Saturday in a raid on Boko Haram, security officials told AFP.
- Chad launches airstrikes against Boko Haram in Nigeria Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- Chad has launched airstrikes against the positions of Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group in the northeastern Nigerian town of Gamboru.
- UN Chief welcomes African Union's decision to combat Boko Haram UN News Centre 31 Jan 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the decision of African Union leaders to join forces to stop the advancement of the "murderous campaigns" waged by Boko Haram, as he stressed the importance of the continent's collaboration with the UN, emphasizing that "many lives depend on preventive-diplomacy and peacekeeping."
- AU Takes Action on Boko Haram, Defers on S. Sudan VOA 31 Jan 2015 -- The African Union is moving forward with a request for a military force to stop the spread of the Boko Haram insurgency in West Africa. As the AU summit in Addis Ababa comes to an end, leaders have postponed consideration of a potentially damning report on those responsible for the ongoing conflict in South Sudan.
- Latest round of Ukraine peace talks fall through Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- The latest round of peace talks on Ukraine have collapsed just hours after it began, as pro-Russia and Kiev envoys trade blame for sabotaging the meeting.
- 15 Ukrainian soldiers killed, 30 wounded in east clashes Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- Clashes between pro-Russia forces and the Ukrainian army in the east of the country have killed 15 Ukrainian soldiers and injured 30 others over the past 24 hours.
- Kerry To Soon Visit Ukraine As Fighting Rages RFE/RL 31 Jan 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Ukraine next week to show U.S. support for the government as fighting spikes with pro-Russian separatists in the east of the country.
- Ukraine Peace Talks End In 'Failure' RFE/RL 31 Jan 2015 -- Peace talks in Minsk aimed at ending the fighting in eastern Ukraine ended without progress on January 31.
- Ukraine, Rebel Talks End Amid Deadly Fighting VOA 31 Jan 2015 -- Peace talks between Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists ended Saturday without a deal as fighting raged in the country's east, killing both soldiers and civilians.
- Egypt's President Sisi vows to defend Sinai against militants Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has vowed to defeat militants fighting against government forces in the troubled Sinai Peninsula.
- Sissi Says Egypt Faces Long, Tough Battle Against Militants VOA 31 Jan 2015 -- Egyptian military helicopters flew over Cairo on Saturday as concern grew about terror groups that struck government security targets Thursday in the Sinai, causing numerous casualties.
- Yemen's Hadi says won't reconsider resignation Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi says he will not reconsider his resignation.
- DR Congo forces begin offensive against Hutu rebels Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) says units of its forces have launched a military campaign against Rwanda-based Hutu rebels in the east of the country.
- ISIL claims beheading Japanese journalist Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- The ISIL claims to have beheaded Japanese freelance journalist Kenji Goto held captive by the Takfiri group.
- Congressmen urge Turkey to stop passage of ISIL terrorists to Europe Iran Press TV 31 Jan 2015 -- Senior members of the US Congress have slammed Turkey for allowing ISIL terrorists to enter the country from Iraq and Syria and travel to Europe to conduct terror attacks.
- Japanese Hostage Reportedly Beheaded by Islamic State Militants Sputnik 31 Jan 2015 -- Islamic State(IS) insurgents released a video Saturday, announcing that they had executed Japanese hostage Kenji Goto, Reuters reported, quoting the SITE Intelligence group.
- CIA helps Israel assassinate Hezbollah commander: Report ISNA 31 Jan 2015 -- The Central Intelligence Agency helped Israel's intelligence service, Mossad, to assassinate Imad Mughniyah, a high-ranking Hezbollah figure, on Feb. 12, 2008, a report said.
- CIA, Mossad Involved in Assassination of Hezbollah Commander in 2008 Sputnik 31 Jan 2015 -- The US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) together with the Mossad, Israeli's security service, carried out a clandestine operation aimed at the killing of Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyah in 2008, former intelligence officials have revealed.
- Report: CIA, Israel's Mossad Killed Senior Hezbollah Commander VOA 31 Jan 2015 -- A leading U.S. newspaper says the spy agencies of the United States and Israel worked together in February, 2008 to kill a senior Hezbollah commander in Damascus.
- Merkel Says There Should Be No Debt Reduction For Greece RFE/RL 31 Jan 2015 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said there should be no debt relief for Athens, a day after Greece's new finance minister announced he would no longer cooperate with the so-called troika of creditors.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|