21 January 2015 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 21 Jan 2015 [PDF]
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Obama Seeks Authorization for Use of Force Against ISIL AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- In his State of the Union address last night, President Barack Obama called on Congress to authorize the use of military force against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- U.S. Ships on Standby While Forces Clash in Yemen AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- While the uprising in Yemen continues with militia forces fighting to take control of the government there, U.S. Navy warships stand ready to respond if needed, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Vickers: Defense Intelligence Enterprise Poised for Historic Transition AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- The defense intelligence enterprise faces unprecedented geopolitical challenges and technological change and at the same time is poised for its most significant transformation in decades, Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael G. Vickers said today.
- Intel Official: 2016 Budget Factors Asymmetrical Warfare Needs AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- The 2016 budget will reflect how intelligence capabilities and other investments align with defense challenges such as asymmetrical warfare, a Pentagon official said today during the 2015 Potomac Officers Club second annual Intel Summit.
- Dempsey: Cyber Vulnerabilities Threaten National Security AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- Cyber vulnerabilities in the private sector pose a serious threat to national security, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
- Joint Base San Antonio selected to host AFIMSC headquarters AFNS 21 Jan 2015 -- Joint Base San Antonio, Texas, was selected as the host base for the Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center (AFIMSC) Headquarters.
- Pentagon's Top Policy Official Praises U.S.-Australia Alliance AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- The long history of the U.S.-Australia alliance has been a linchpin of stability around the world, the Defense Department's top policy official said here today.
- Air Force Flies F-16s in Training Exercise with Greece AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- Air Force F-16 fighter jets are engaged in a flying training deployment in Souda Bay, Greece, Pentagon Spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters today.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's call with Republic of Korea Minister of National Defense Han Min Koo DoD 21 Jan 2015
- Submarine Force Will Begin Integration of Enlisted Women NNS 21 Jan 2015 -- Following the successful integration of female officers onboard submarines, the Submarine Force will be immediately opening service on submarines for enlisted female Sailors. The Chief of Naval Operations detailed the enlisted women integration plan in Naval Administrative (NAVADMIN) message 19/15 entitled, 'Opening Submarine Force Billets to Enlisted Women.' The plan was formally approved in December 2014 for federal funding by Congress.
- Department Announces New Vice Chairs of the Defense Business Board DoD 21 Jan 2015 -- The Department of Defense reaffirmed this week that Robert L. "Bobby" Stein will continue his service as the chair of the Defense Business Board (DBB) and announced the appointment of two new vice chairs of the DBB, Nancy Killefer and Dr. Cynthia Trudell.
- Romanian Soldiers, Black Sea Rotational Force Marines partner for Platinum Lion USMC News 21 Jan 2015 -- The Romanian soldiers listened intently to their commander, 2nd Lt. Vasile Ionut, as he laid out the plan of action. The commander had to ensure each of his men knew their exact role in the upcoming attack.
- Laboon Completes Live Fire Exercise NNS 21 Jan 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Laboon (DDG 58) conducted a live-fire exercise as part of composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) with the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 4, Jan. 19.
- Modernization is a must for the nuclear enterprise AFNS 21 Jan 2015 -- The Air Force's priorities for modernization and continuous improvement in the nuclear enterprise were the top of discussion during the Air Force Association's monthly breakfast Jan. 20 in Arlington, Virginia.
- NATO Defense Chiefs Meet, Ukraine a 'Significant Concern' AFPS 21 Jan 2015 -- The U.S. military says Russia has 'funneled hundreds of pieces of Russian military equipment' to Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine. The comments from the spokesman of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff came today, on the first day of a two-day defense chiefs meeting at NATO headquarters here.
- NATO Secretary General discusses security challenges with Norwegian Prime Minister NATO 21 Jan 2015 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg to NATO on Wednesday (21 January 2015) for talks on current security challenges facing the Alliance, including Russia's aggressive actions in Ukraine, instability in the Middle East and North Africa, and the threat of terrorism.
- Russia Ready to Cooperate if NATO Opens Up to Equal Dialogue Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The North-Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has chosen the path of confrontation by severing all contact with Russia, the country's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stated Wednesday.
- Russian Spy Ship Arrives In Havana Ahead Of U.S.-Cuba Talks RFE/RL 21 Jan 2015 -- A Russian intelligence warship has docked in Cuba's capital, Havana, ahead of historic talks there between U.S. and Cuban diplomats.
- Russia Proposes India to Increase Scale of Joint Military Drills Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The scale and intensity of joint military drills with India should be increased, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said to his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday.
- Russia Ready to Supply India With Anaerobic Submarines Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Russia could supply the Indian Navy with 'stealthy' submarines, equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems if India opens a tender for them, a senior official at Russia's Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- Russian, Indian Defense Chiefs Agree to Speed Up Joint Military Projects Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Russia and India have agreed to speed up work on the fifth-generation fighter jet they are developing together, among other joint projects tackled during a Wednesday meeting between the countries' defense ministers.
- Iran to defend Resistance Movement with entire capacity ISNA 21 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan reiterated that the country would support Resistance Movement with all of its potentials and capacity.
- S-300 Defense System Deliveries to Iran Remain Bilateral Issue, Lavrov Says Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The issue of Russia delivering S-300 missile defense systems to Iran is a topic for bilateral discussions and will remain that way, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.
- January 21, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 21 Jan 2015
- Press Gaggle aboard Air Force One en route Boise, Idaho, 1/21/15 The White House 21 Jan 2015
- 21 January 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 21 Jan 2015
- Genocide occurs when 'warning signs' ignored, action not taken - UN deputy chief UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- During a commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Nazi death camp today, United Nations Deputy-Secretary-General Jan Eliasson called for reflection on how better to prevent horrific crimes witnessed during the Holocaust and other genocides.
- Yemen Leader, Rebels Reportedly End Stalemate VOA 21 Jan 2015 -- Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi on Wednesday said he has reached an agreement with Houthi rebels who've besieged his residence, offering to scrap a proposed constitutional change that they opposed.
- Houthi Rebels Oust Guards at Yemeni President's Residence in Sanaa Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Rebel Houthi fighters are standing guard at President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi's home in Sanaa after the presidential guards were driven away by gunmen, a Sputnik news agency correspondent said Wednesday.
- Yemeni Houthi Rebels Reportedly Hold President Hadi Captive Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Shiite Houthi rebels are holding Yemeni president 'captive', he cannot leave his house, Accosiated Press reports citing Yemeni presidential aide.
- Yemeni Port City Aden on Security Lockdown Amid Houthi Violence Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Authorities in Yemen's southern seaport of Aden have closed all air, sea and land crossings into the city starting early Wednesday, amid an upsurge in Houthi insurgency across the capital Sanaa, the Al-Arabiya news channel reported.
- Clashes in Yemen claimed 35 lives in two days Iran Press TV 21 Jan 2015 -- At least 35 people have lost their lives over the past two days of clashes between Shia Ansarullah fighters and Yemeni security forces in the capital, Sana'a.
- Ukraine ceasefire exists 'in name only,' UN political chief tells Security Council UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- After weeks of relative calm, the United Nations political chief said the Security Council was meeting today amid the 'worst hostilities' in eastern Ukraine since the Minsk Protocol was agreed on 5 September, with the urgently needed sustainable ceasefire presently existing in name only.
- Berlin Hosts Ukraine Crisis Meeting RFE/RL 21 Jan 2015 -- The foreign ministers of Germany, France, Russia, and Ukraine are due to meet on January 21 to discuss the conflict in eastern Ukraine, where there has been a spike in fighting in recent days.
- Poroshenko Demands Russian Troops Leave Ukraine RFE/RL 21 Jan 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has accused Russia of sending more than 9,000 troops into Ukrainian territory and has demanded that they leave.
- Lavrov Says Arms Delivery to Ukraine by NATO States Counter EU, OSCE Norms Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The delivery of weapons to Ukraine by a number of NATO members and European Union countries contradict the norms set out by the EU and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.
- Boko Haram Claims Baga Massacre VOA 21 Jan 2015 -- Nigerian militant group Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for mass killings in the city of Baga and is promising further attacks.
- African Union urges action against Boko Haram militants Iran Press TV 21 Jan 2015 -- The African Union (AU) has appealed to members of the continental politico-administrative body to do more to help Nigeria and affected neighboring countries win the battle against Boko Haram Takfiri terrorists.
- ICC Charges Ugandan Rebel Group Commander With Murder, Child Torture Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- A commander of the LRA rebel group in Uganda, responsible for numerous murders, tortures, kidnappings and other human rights abuses was arrested and transferred to the International Criminal Court on Wednesday, according Al Jazeera.
- South Sudan Government Says Rebels Torched Oil Facility VOA 21 Jan 2015 -- The South Sudan government on Wednesday accused rebels loyal to former vice president Riek Machar of attacking an oil facility in Unity state and setting it on fire.
- Darfur: UN humanitarian office reports mass displacement amid ongoing hostilities UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- The United Nations Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is reporting that thousands of people in North Darfur are now confirmed as displaced following ongoing fighting in the region, a UN spokesperson announced today.
- Mali: UN mission wards off rebel attack; urges armed groups to respect ceasefire UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- The United Nations Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) has confirmed it used force in response to machine gun fire directed at its troops and towards the town inhabited by civilians, yesterday in Tabankort, in the restive north of the country.
- Central African Republic: UN investigators urge establishment of war crimes tribunal UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- United Nations-mandated investigators warned today that war crimes are being committed in the Central African Republic and called for the establishment of a 'truly international' tribunal with international judges who could objectively investigate and prosecute perpetrators of such crimes in the war torn country.
- Obama Says 'Shadow Of Crisis Has Passed' RFE/RL 21 Jan 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has announced that after years of war and recession, 'the shadow of crisis has passed, and the state of the union is strong.'
- Lavrov Says U.S. Wants To Dominate, West Cannot Isolate Russia RFE/RL 21 Jan 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said that the United states wants to 'dominate' the world and warned the West that attempts to isolate Russia would fail.
- Russia Strikes Back at Obama's State of the Union Comments VOA 21 Jan 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has lashed out at U.S. President Barack Obama's criticism of the Kremlin's actions in Ukraine.
- Five states in Nigeria hit by H5N1 Iran Press TV 21 Jan 2015 -- Tens of thousands of chickens have been culled in five states across Nigeria after the discovery of bird flu in some poultry farms, officials say.
- Yemeni Al-Qaeda Calls for More 'Lone Wolf' Attacks in the West Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) terrorist group is calling for more attacks on the West by followers who live there, the Yemen-based group's spokesperson told its media wing in an interview published by SITE Monitoring Group.
- France Boosts Anti-Terror Laws Amid Increasing Fear of Extremism Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said France has around 3,000 people with jihadist ties, who must be put under surveillance, AFP reports.
- France to Hire 2,680 to Fight Extremism VOA 21 Jan 2015 -- French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said France will create 2,680 new security positions over the next three years to help counter the threat of Islamic extremism.
- U.S., Germany Urged to Give Up at Once Screening of Anti-DPRK Movie: DPRK FM Spokesman KCNA 21 Jan 2015 -- The spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement on Wednesday:
- CPPCC set to expel disgraced former official from body People's Daily 21 Jan 2015 -- China's top political consultative body Tuesday approved a draft expelling Ling Jihuafrom the body.
- Davos: UN launches $1 billion appeal for global Ebola response UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- The United Nations today appealed for $1 billion needed for the first six months of 2015 to sustain the momentum to stamp out Ebola in West Africa, where 'the epidemic has started to turn' in all three of the worst-hit countries – Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- UN political chief says Burundi making strides towards 'peaceful, credible' elections UN News Centre 21 Jan 2015 -- Amid a flare-up in fighting and ongoing political tensions between the Government and opposition members, the organization of legitimate elections in Burundi remains 'one of the most pressing challenges' facing the African country in 2015, the top United Nations political official declared today.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|