17 January 2015 Military News
- Afghanistan: UN Mission welcomes civil society efforts to promote sustainable peace UN News Centre 17 Jan 2015 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has today welcomed a recent national conference during which local road maps for achieving sustainable, inclusive and just peace in the country were presented to participants.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bloodshed, Indoctrination Mark Islamic Militants' Rule in Raqqa VOA 17 Jan 2015 -- Islamic State militants tend to frown on celebrations. Earlier this year they banned festivities marking the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad in the Iraqi city of Mosul, so it was hardly surprising that no official festivities marked their first anniversary in control of Raqqa, Syria, the extremist Islamist group's self-proclaimed capital.
- Security Council welcomes first round of Libyan talks, commends participants in dialogue UN News Centre 17 Jan 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has today commended participants in the Libyan dialogue, which aims to find ways to end the political, security and institutional crisis in the country.
- Kiev, pro-Russia forces agree on 2-day truce in Lugansk Iran Press TV 17 Jan 2015 -- The two sides of the conflict in strife-torn Lugansk region in eastern Ukraine have agreed on a two-day ceasefire.
- Fresh fighting in eastern Ukraine claims 5 more lives Iran Press TV 17 Jan 2015 -- At least five more people, including civilians and soldiers, have been killed in eastern Ukraine in fresh fighting between government forces and pro-Russians.
- Attack on peacekeepers 'serious crime,' says senior UN official in Mali UN News Centre 17 Jan 2015 -- A senior official from the United Nations United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) has today condemned in the strongest terms a terrorist attack on the Mission's base in the town of Kidal, which killed a Chadian peacekeeper and wounded another.
- Chad Troops Arrive in Cameroon VOA 17 Jan 2015 -- Thousands of Chadian troops have arrived in Cameroon to help the Central African nation fight the Nigerian militant group Boko Haram.
- Israeli PM Denounces ICC War Crime Probe of Israel VOA 17 Jan 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has again denounced the move by the International Criminal Court to launch an inquiry into possible war crimes committed against the Palestinians.
- Eight people arrested in Morocco over ISIL links Iran Press TV 17 Jan 2015 -- Eight people have been arrested in Morocco over suspicions of recruiting militants for ISIL Takfiri terrorist group, the Interior Ministry says.
- Charlie Hebdo Protests Hit Mideast, Asia, Africa VOA 17 Jan 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande on Saturday defended free speech, saying that anti-Charlie Hebdo protesters in other countries do not understand France's attachment to freedom of speech.
- Belgium Deploys Hundreds of Troops VOA 17 Jan 2015 -- Security was significantly increased Saturday in Belgium, Germany and elsewhere in Western Europe, following raids in which dozens of suspected Islamic terrorists were arrested.
- Iran Calls For 'Political Will' To Advance Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 17 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says 'political will' is needed to make progress in negotiations over Iran's nuclear program but that he believes such progress is 'possible.'
- Top leadership stresses Party's role in state organs People's Daily 17 Jan 2015 -- The top leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on Friday stressed the Party's role in major state organs.
- Chinese army to look into corruption in staff housing projects People's Daily 17 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) will start a two-year operation against malpractice and corruption in staff housing projects.
- Somali prime minister dissolves newly-unveiled cabinet Iran Press TV 17 Jan 2015 -- Somalia's Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke has dismissed his newly-nominated cabinet because of stiff opposition from the parliament.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|